Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bad Albums from your good artists/bands

Rudy

Got to admit I was in a strange place in 1978... I had just moved to west London with my work and had an Iraqi girl in tow who knew everyone . On the day of BWFC visit I ended up in a house in Chelsea and was house guest of the Clash manager (I think my lass was shaggin' him as well). Lots of people coming and going, probably including Joe Strummer or whoever.

It was all very odd and I missed the match but saw my fellow supporters walking past the house, as I said I was in a strange place at the time. I prefer normality these days.

1 hour ago, MancWanderer said:

I actually preferred Give 'Em Enough Rope to London Calling. It was an "edgy" album like their first which is my preferred sound from them. That said London Calling contained classic tracks like Clampdown, Train In Vain and Jimmy Jazz. It's a shame that they never included White Man In Hammersmith Palais and Pressure Drop on Give Em Enough Rope as they recorded them at the same time

Remember being gutted when I came home with Sandinista and played it for the first time. Took me years to appreciate it at all. Anything after that was utter shite imo. Combat Rock was awful but it's all opinions innit.

Glad that this video has resurfaced on YouTube. For years it kept being taken down by CBS for some reason iirc

The Clash - White Riot (Promo Footage) - YouTube

And the Mescaleros did a pretty good version as well

White Riot/Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros @ Roseland Ballroom 1999 - YouTube

There’s a great documentary on sky called white riot about the rock against racism gig in Victoria park . They do a version of Garageland in it in rehearsal that I’ve never seen before it’s fuckin brilliant proper shiver down the spine stuff . The reason I like the first album and London Calling the most is because I can play them start to finish and not skip a track . London Calling especially benefits from a full listen through there’s just so much going on but it all seems to fit together . The songs don’t seem to sound as good in isolation IMO . 

2 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I actually preferred Give 'Em Enough Rope to London Calling. It was an "edgy" album like their first which is my preferred sound from them. That said London Calling contained classic tracks like Clampdown, Train In Vain and Jimmy Jazz. It's a shame that they never included White Man In Hammersmith Palais and Pressure Drop on Give Em Enough Rope as they recorded them at the same time

Remember being gutted when I came home with Sandinista and played it for the first time. Took me years to appreciate it at all. Anything after that was utter shite imo. Combat Rock was awful but it's all opinions innit.

Glad that this video has resurfaced on YouTube. For years it kept being taken down by CBS for some reason iirc

The Clash - White Riot (Promo Footage) - YouTube

And the Mescaleros did a pretty good version as well

White Riot/Joe Strummer & the Mescaleros @ Roseland Ballroom 1999 - YouTube

I saw joe and the mescaleros backing the Who around the same time they were fab the Who not so much just went through the motions only gig i’ve ever left before the end . 

On 25/07/2021 at 20:21, emus wig said:

There’s a great documentary on sky called white riot about the rock against racism gig in Victoria park . They do a version of Garageland in it in rehearsal that I’ve never seen before it’s fuckin brilliant proper shiver down the spine stuff . The reason I like the first album and London Calling the most is because I can play them start to finish and not skip a track . London Calling especially benefits from a full listen through there’s just so much going on but it all seems to fit together . The songs don’t seem to sound as good in isolation IMO . 

Cheers. Watched that documentary last night. Amazing looking back at how bad and overt the racism was. None of this hiding behind usernames on social media, just get out there and tell non-white folk to fuck off "home". First time that I'd really seen anything about RAR and where it came from and how and why it developed. I was probably a bit too young at the time to properly understand it all

Funny - I prefer Give Em Enough Rope as a full listen and London Calling an album to dip in and out of. Nowt beats the first album though. Put it on play and listen to the whole thing on repeat although I always skip Remote Control which is shit although it did spawn Complete Control which, live on From Here To Eternity, is my favourite ever opening track on any live album by anyone, ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Lot of Courteeners fans on here. First few albums were tip-top. But then they released that drivel of a song “Summer” and the accompanying album just sounded dire. 

Still great live. Even though most folk seem to be there for the final 2 songs and a good mosh!!

1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Lot of Courteeners fans on here. First few albums were tip-top. But then they released that drivel of a song “Summer” and the accompanying album just sounded dire. 

Still great live. Even though most folk seem to be there for the final 2 songs and a good mosh!!

Courteeneers first album.... Academy and apollo gigs were absolutely fucking amazing. 

Not a fan since.