Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Th’ Olympics

desperado

• Site Supporter

Well what a 17 hours of a day! 

Started off last night watching Alex Yee win Silver in the Triathlon. 

Then waking up to watch the divers, the mountain biker and the awesome Peaty win us 3 golds.

Marvellous 👏

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter

Always enjoy seeing some minor sports, and getting behind the British competitors that you've hardly, or never, heard of.

Lad on the mountain bike could have had a brew on his last lap- he was tremendous. 

The Austrian lass yesterday was incredible too. Proper curve ball to the rest of the field.

On 26/07/2021 at 17:44, Whitestar said:

Remember in the 70s if we got like 2 silvers & a bronze we'd had a good Olympics.

Saw a documentary that pins our recent success on John Major. 

After the shambles at the 96 Olympics he diverted funds from the lottery into funding athletes who were in a good chance of winning a medal so they could focus solely on the sport rather than having to work alongside training. 

Probably the most interesting thing about him the boring cunt! 🤣 

• Site Supporter
17 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Saw a documentary that pins our recent success on John Major. 

After the shambles at the 96 Olympics he diverted funds from the lottery into funding athletes who were in a good chance of winning a medal so they could focus solely on the sport rather than having to work alongside training. 

Probably the most interesting thing about him the boring cunt! 🤣 

Thought this was common knowledge, massive sports fan Major, especially cricket.

Whilst not actually agreeing with it, I'm going to sound a bit of an hypocrite and say I'm glad he did.

Not keen on that battle axe he got to run it, but fair play got results.

The bullying in gymnastics that came to light was probably a result of this in my opinion though.

Anyway, love th'Olympics, come on GB.

22 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Thought this was common knowledge, massive sports fan Major, especially cricket.

Whilst not actually agreeing with it, I'm going to sound a bit of an hypocrite and say I'm glad he did.

The bullying in gymnastics that came to light was probably a result of this in my opinion though.

First I'd heard of it but I'm young compared to some of the cunts on here so was just starting secondary school when this came in. 

John Major policies wasn't high up on my agenda. 

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Not sure you can blame funding for later bullying. Maybe just a small number of individuals. 

Worked well in sports generally, including gymnastics and the girls have just shown that.

Specifically on the bullying; there is bound to be a fine line between pushing and bullying- the skill must be in managing athletes on an individual basis, just like a good football manager. Sometimes this goes awry and needs dealing with.

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, Rudy said:

The cynic in me reckons Biles realised she’s not as good as she was, realised this in the first rounds along with the hype and thought fuck this, young mans game the Owd gymnastics 

To he fair, she could have just feigned injury.  Good on her.

Piers Morgan making himself look even more of a tit I see, the gift that keeps on giving.

• Members
37 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Piers Morgan making himself look even more of a tit I see, the gift that keeps on giving.

She came out bandaged up 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Winchester White said:

aye, he did the same routine when that tennis player dropped out

and the same reaction from certain quarters was he was targeting a woman of colour, when the point is he's having a pop at mental health issues

I'm not belitting mental health issues, they can be serious

but

like Rudy suggests, and Morgan also, is this now an easy excuse for poor performance?

whatever, leave them to it

I guess the issue with Morgan is he loves to stick the boot in for a bit of attention

• Members

Anyone see Craig David there?

I thought what the fuck is Craig David doing at the Olympics

After a bit of research turns out he used to be an archer so he’s helping out the British archery team

He’s the Bow Selector

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

After a bit of research turns out he used to be an archer so he’s helping out the British archery team

He’s the Bow Selector

Somebody has edited his wiki page to say something similar

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Rudy said:

She came out bandaged up 

Yeah but I mean she could have said she was too injured to carry on but instead brought up mental health as well.

Maybe she put too much pressure on herself, who knows. You don't get to the top for so long without making some serious sacrifices so maybe she's hit her limit?

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not sure you can blame funding for later bullying. Maybe just a small number of individuals. 

Worked well in sports generally, including gymnastics and the girls have just shown that.

Specifically on the bullying; there is bound to be a fine line between pushing and bullying- the skill must be in managing athletes on an individual basis, just like a good football manager. Sometimes this goes awry and needs dealing with.

Aye, I wasn't blaming funding, more the culture around how much we want winners/medals.

Some coaches definitely overstepped the mark with certain kids.

Like you say, different people need different approaches.

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

He’s the Bow Selector

stealing that

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, Winchester White said:

Yeah but I mean she could have said she was too injured to carry on but instead brought up mental health as well.

Maybe she put too much pressure on herself, who knows. You don't get to the top for so long without making some serious sacrifices so maybe she's hit her limit?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57986166

11 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Hands up who never heard of Simone Biles before this week 

Knew the yank flat dicks did well last time round but had no idea she was 'the greatest ever' as she got tipped on BBC earlier. 

She did shit in the heats. Pressure or whatever....just drop out. Not sure why the international furore over it. 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

This. My daughter was decent at most sports. Not excellent like Olympic bound but just very good. Her javelin coach pushed her and pushed her to try to get extra from her and the other kids in her age band. Those who were capable saw it as pushing for excellence, those who couldn’t give what was being asked saw it as bullying.

My guess is that even at elite sportsman/sportswoman level, different people will have different levels to which they’re willing or unwilling to aim. First one to blink will probably call it bullying.

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Hands up who never heard of Simone Biles before this week 

Knew the yank flat dicks did well last time round but had no idea she was 'the greatest ever' as she got tipped on BBC earlier. 

She did shit in the heats. Pressure or whatever....just drop out. Not sure why the international furore over it. 

"International furore" 😂