Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Do we have a "best eleven"?

Jayjay23

I always struggle to pick a team with our current players, we have two men for every position but our squad doesn't seem to fit Evatt's usual formation. 

I'm going to throw a few options out, please pull them to pieces as you see fit. 

Trafford

Jones Toal Santos John

Sadlier Bradley Sheehan Afolayen 

Lee

Striker (any) 

Or if we must play 3 at the back

Santos Toal Johnston 

Sadlier Bradley Sheehan Dempsey Afolayen 

Charles Bodvarsson 

You'll notice I'm getting Sadlier in a wing position with Bradley in a Mcateer role. 

I'm keeping Dapo in his best position. 

Thoughts? 

4 minutes ago, lobbypond said:

I just want to see Dapo on the left wing :(

It is not going to happen Evatt is fixed on 3-5-2 and Dapo just doesn’t fit and I cannot see Evatt changing formation.

I was thinking about formations yesterday but every formation I came up with just looked weak Evatt as bought players to suit his system and he will not change.

• Site Supporter

His intention this year was to never have a “best 11” but numerous players for every position. 

But that has its downfalls with lack of continuity and leaving out players who we need on the pitch.

But I get it, I understand his thinking and its a squad game more than ever.

If they are fit and available then for me  Trafford, Santos, Morley, Lee, Bradley and Afolayan start (Johnston isn’t far off that as is Charles)  so that’s 6 or 8 starters, the rest can rotate.

2 minutes ago, desperado said:

His intention this year was to never have a “best 11” but numerous players for every position. 

But that has its downfalls with lack of continuity and leaving out players who we need on the pitch.

But I get it, I understand his thinking and its a squad game more than ever.

If they are fit and available then for me  Trafford, Santos, Morley, Lee, Bradley and Afolayan start (Johnston isn’t far off that as is Charles)  so that’s 6 or 8 starters, the rest can rotate.

Don’t understand the Johnston love in on here although I agree with other starters (well maybe not Morley as he would be a rotation player for me). Unfortunately Lee is aging and it’s difficult to start him every game but he is quality.

what sticks out to me is the lack of decent strikers as all of them seem poor and I do feel Johnston is the weak link at the back although others will disagree 

2 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Don’t understand the Johnston love in on here although I agree with other starters (well maybe not Morley as he would be a rotation player for me). Unfortunately Lee is aging and it’s difficult to start him every game but he is quality.

what sticks out to me is the lack of decent strikers as all of them seem poor and I do feel Johnston is the weak link at the back although others will disagree 

He as had some good games this season but does struggle against big physical strikers I think his best position would be as a defensive midfielder . 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

He as had some good games this season but does struggle against big physical strikers I think his best position would be as a defensive midfielder . 

If he’s a foot taller with more physical presence, he’s not with us, he’s playing at a higher level. The rest of his game is more than fine for L1

16 minutes ago, desperado said:

If he’s a foot taller with more physical presence, he’s not with us, he’s playing at a higher level. The rest of his game is more than fine for L1

His positioning and awareness aren’t good enough and apart from short passes his distribution is awful. He does put his body on the line and make some blocks and I think that’s why some give him the accolades that he gets. Squad player in L1 for me but shouldn’t be starting in a strong promotion pushing team. All about opinions 

No we haven't got a best eleven. We have a decent squad from which to pick the best team for a particular game though and it wouldn't surprise me if a large part of the selection process is down to statistical analysis and performance data rather than the manager sticking a pin into a list.

If things don't improve they might wish to rethink that.

So, everyone is struggling the same way I am. And the same way Evatt is. 

We all want to pick Dapo. But we can't find a place for him unless we change formation. 

I think from other posts, I'm not on my own in thinking we miss Dec John. And a fair few seem to think Sadlier should get more time. 

I don't see many raving about Kachunga and nobody seems to think Jones is as important as last season. 

I know one thing for sure, we have lost our edge in terms of being unbelievable to behold. 

• Site Supporter

Most of our players, given a run in the team, would fit well..

Issue is Evatt changes the team weekly and webe no idea what he's saying to the players, or wants to see. 

He seems to rate Kachunga highly, so what's he doing that IE wants to see that others aren't. 

4 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Most of our players, given a run in the team, would fit well..

Issue is Evatt changes the team weekly and webe no idea what he's saying to the players, or wants to see. 

He seems to rate Kachunga highly, so what's he doing that IE wants to see that others aren't. 

Wouldn’t say he rates him highly

more of he’s a top earner so he needs to get a tune out of him 

• Site Supporter
Just now, radcliffe white said:

Wouldn’t say he rates him highly

more of he’s a top earner so he needs to get a tune out of him 

He gets paid whether he plays or not mate.

Not sure his wages are a factor in his selection, it should be the players that the manager sees as being the best for the next game.

Still baffles me what IE sees in him, but that's his call.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He gets paid whether he plays or not mate.

Not sure his wages are a factor in his selection, it should be the players that the manager sees as being the best for the next game.

Still baffles me what IE sees in him, but that's his call.

Mentioned a few weeks ago I heard off someone very well connected that IE has been told to get a tune because the hierarchy ain’t impressed one bit 

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Mentioned a few weeks ago I heard off someone very well connected that IE has been told to get a tune because the hierarchy ain’t impressed one bit 

I'm not sure that translates into him getting to play every game as he was doing, and I also don't see IE being the sort of guy to be told by owners what to do. Nor for that, Sharon telling him.

I can see the possibility of them all chatting and IE admitting his goals return is frustrating and them saying he's a big earner too, and maybe together agree that a run in the team might work, but beyond that I just can't see any interference happening. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was moved out in January. 

6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm not sure that translates into him getting to play every game as he was doing, and I also don't see IE being the sort of guy to be told by owners what to do. Nor for that, Sharon telling him.

I can see the possibility of them all chatting and IE admitting his goals return is frustrating and them saying he's a big earner too, and maybe together agree that a run in the team might work, but beyond that I just can't see any interference happening. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was moved out in January. 

How do you sell a striker who doesn’t score

i think it’s a case of running the contract out 

12 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

How do you sell a striker who doesn’t score

i think it’s a case of running the contract out 

Doubt anyone would want him permanently. But, I mean Bradford took Delfouneso on loan this time last year, so there's always someone desperate.

50/50 wage split, you never know.

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Probably a case of we're not throwing good money after bad so don't be telling us we need another, better player to replace him 

Best team is today's team with Santos in for Aimson which is very harsh on Aimson who is a very good defender, but Santos is as good defensively & much better on the ball.

Toal or Jones is a tough call, but Toal can't really be dropped on current form. ( Toal is the stronger defender, Jones is better going forward, horses for courses ?? )

Maybe MJ for Morley when we're going to be under pressure.....an upgrade on MJ would be top of my transfer wishlist.

No place for Dapo, Sheehan or Sadlier, all good players on their day but contribute nothing when it's not their day.

3 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

Best team is today's team with Santos in for Aimson which is very harsh on Aimson who is a very good defender, but Santos is as good defensively & much better on the ball.

Toal or Jones is a tough call, but Toal can't really be dropped on current form. ( Toal is the stronger defender, Jones is better going forward, horses for courses ?? )

Maybe MJ for Morley when we're going to be under pressure.....an upgrade on MJ would be top of my transfer wishlist.

No place for Dapo, Sheehan or Sadlier, all good players on their day but contribute nothing when it's not their day.

Not sure I’d go with that necessarily, Toal has had some great marauding runs forward at times and obviously the goal on Friday too. You’d think the experience of Jones would come in handy in comparison to Toal, but right now he’s more than earned his place.

Thought Morley did a good job in something similar to the MJ role today though obviously it’s a bit easier when they’ve lost a man down the middle. 

To be controversial we do not know our best 11 as few of the players have done enough consistently to be classed as our 'best' .

Trafford, Bradley, and Morley are the ones I think most people would select. Santos before his injury, but other than that I struggle. 

Dapo should be in there but gets caught in moaning too much and Dion for goals, but not his misses ! 

• Moderators

Id have traf, bradley, santos, johnstone, iredale, prob toal over jones cos height is invaluable in our team, mj, morley, lee, dion and bod

Not the best players necessarily, in fact, not at all, just what i think makes our best team if we are playing wingbacks

Dempsey ought to have made a better case for being in that 11,  than he has done, but id love today to be a turning point