Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth H pizza cup

radcliffe white

I haven’t been to any of the games, I’ve had little interest in the competition, having U21 teams in it makes it a farce and I can’t see how I’d be that buzzing to celebrate us winning it (a bit like a pre season tournament)… however, if we get to Wembley I’m not sure I could stay at home knowing thousands of whites are heading down for the day, I’d have serious FOMO come the day of it.

With that in mind, this JCL will be watching my first minutes of the competition in Wembley, if we get there.

• Site Supporter

To be honest, I don’t think the draw will have any impact on Saturday.

Yes I’m sure we all want to get to Wembley but it’s only the pizza cup. It won’t devastate me getting beat like losing at Brum in the quarters of the FA Cup would have done

40 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

To be honest, I don’t think the draw will have any impact on Saturday.

Yes I’m sure we all want to get to Wembley but it’s only the pizza cup. It won’t devastate me getting beat like losing at Brum in the quarters of the FA Cup would have done

Id love us to get there for my boys.

...but could really do without the time off work and expense :D

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

That’s the issue expense

and a chance back month after 

This is the conundrum. I'd love to be able to take Junior for a first visit to Wembley, but I'd prefer it to be in the play-offs.

I believe that all cup finals should take place in May after the season ends.

Hills had us at 16/1 after the DMB game so I figured it was worth an investment. Get to the final and lose and it’ll pay out enough to have paid for my match ticket. Win the thing and it should cover the whole trip (or at least gives me enough to set aside for a potential play off final)

6 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Plenty of premier league grounds could be used for this cup 

That really would kill it off.

No issue at all with this (or the FA Trophy/FA Vase Finals) being played at Wembley as has always been the case.

Conference play-off finals and particularly FA Cup Semi Finals can get in the bin though.

6 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

That really would kill it off.

No issue at all with this (or the FA Trophy/FA Vase Finals) being played at Wembley as has always been the case.

Conference play-off finals and particularly FA Cup Semi Finals can get in the bin though.

IIRC the Fa cup semis at Wembley started when Arsenal and Spurs were drawn against one another 

Usually it would have probably meant a trip to Villa Park but they argued with Wembley on their doorstep and the size of the ground made sense to play it there 

Both Sheffield clubs were in the other semi final and complained it wasn't fair as either Spurs or Arsenal would have had the advantage of playing at Wembley before the final, so they moved their game there as well

The FA saw the pound signs and the rest is history 

1 hour ago, DirtySanchez said:

IIRC the Fa cup semis at Wembley started when Arsenal and Spurs were drawn against one another 

Usually it would have probably meant a trip to Villa Park but they argued with Wembley on their doorstep and the size of the ground made sense to play it there 

Both Sheffield clubs were in the other semi final and complained it wasn't fair as either Spurs or Arsenal would have had the advantage of playing at Wembley before the final, so they moved their game there as well

The FA saw the pound signs and the rest is history 

It was all a bit inconsistent around that time really. Think DMBs v Oldham was at Wembley but the replay at Maine Road. From 95ish it was back to the club grounds - Everton v Spurs at Leeds springs to mind along with obviously a good few at Villa - until the final year at the old Wembley which did of course give us one final visit.

Since the new one has been built then obviously it’s been a case of whoring themselves out for as many games as possible. 

Running London Landmarks Half Marathon on 02/04 so already down in the big smoke anyway. Going to be one busy day so better get around sharpish if we get there. I thought I had made the biggest mistake ever as going to Rome 16/03-20/03. Sure I checked a month or so back and the final was supposed to be 19/03 so would have missed it so chuffed to bits it is 02/04 so can go if we get there. Does anyone know when the date changed and why ?