Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Annoyances At Home

DazBob

24 minutes ago, DazBob said:

I turn it off at the wall, yes.

As I do with everything that doesn't need to be powered when not in use.

I can't be arsed with that.

Tried it once when we went on holiday. Like a dick I turned  the fridge freezer off instead of the microwave. Full of meat and fish.

Came back two weeks later to the smell of death.

45 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Fuck that - not doing that every evening/morning - got laptop, second monitor, keyboard, speakers, chargers, printer etc all at my desk. Switch off and shut the door.

The office gets that treatment. Laptops anywhere else get put away.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Unless they're plugged into a phone though, they're not using leccy- what's the issue there?

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

In terms of money, it only costs a few pence per year so that's not the issue, it's just the habit of them leaving things plugged in and turned on at the plug all the time.  Playstation, televisions, etc.  They're all just lazy cunts.

Also, again low risk and not overly likely, but a potential fire / overheating hazard if there is an internal issue within said charging unit 🙂

42 minutes ago, donkeyshorn said:

Come home from work on a hot summers day, the tumble dryer is going. There is a washing line outside!

Sister in law had some family over from Florida in the summer.  They were impressed with her washing line. They don't have one and none of their neighboursdo either. Said they just bung everything in the tumble drier.  It only falls below 30c about 6 weeks a year. Madness!

45 minutes ago, donkeyshorn said:

Come home from work on a hot summers day, the tumble dryer is going. There is a washing line outside!

Also, Mrs. won't eat food past it's sell by date. "Will you eat that bread with tomorrows date just before midnight?". "Yes". "What about one minute past midnight?" "Er, no."

Fairly similar...

Heating on full whack...and the window open, as she "likes to get a bit of fresh air in"

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Yes they are, not much granted, but there is a small draw

1 hour ago, DazBob said:

In terms of money, it only costs a few pence per year so that's not the issue, it's just the habit of them leaving things plugged in and turned on at the plug all the time.  Playstation, televisions, etc.  They're all just lazy cunts.

Fair enough fellas.

Lad is a swine for leaving the telly on standby.

12 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I can't be arsed with that.

Tried it once when we went on holiday. Like a dick I turned  the fridge freezer off instead of the microwave. Full of meat and fish.

Came back two weeks later to the smell of death.

You left a fridge and freezer full of food? Surely its the law to eat the contents in the weeks preceding the holiday, therefore using up the food and making a substantial saving that can be spent whilst on holiday. You’ll be telling us you don’t vac and clean before you go next.

• Site Supporter
33 minutes ago, Zico said:

not tidying up after themselves and leaving a mess as they go

one is a dog, and the other 4.5, so I'll let them off

but one of them is 41

it does my head in

and as I get older I'm getting more precious about everything being clean and tidy at all times

Sounds familiar. Do a job, make two.

Open a tin of something but leave the empty can unrinsed. I usually follow up and do it as they wash dead quick if you do it straight away, but after a matter of minutes they develop a concrete like film.

Once tried leaving a can for several days to see if would get washed. Couldn't hold out though, so ended up cleaning it anyway. 

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Also, again low risk and not overly likely, but a potential fire / overheating hazard if there is an internal issue within said charging unit 🙂

I've got a couple if extension leads with USB sockets on the end, which I plug charging cables into. Are these using power too when not in use, and are they equally likely to suffer from China syndrome?

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Once tried leaving a can for several days to see if would get washed. Couldn't hold out though, so ended up cleaning it anyway. 

I do this all the time, leave stuff she's left that's fucking obviously in need of cleaning / tidying up

I don't know if she knows, and it's a stand off and she's winding me up, or if she genuinely doesn't notice

18 minutes ago, Smiley said:

You left a fridge and freezer full of food? Surely its the law to eat the contents in the weeks preceding the holiday, therefore using up the food and making a substantial saving that can be spent whilst on holiday. You’ll be telling us you don’t vac and clean before you go next.

😃

1 hour ago, donkeyshorn said:

Also, Mrs. won't eat food past it's sell by date. "Will you eat that bread with tomorrows date just before midnight?". "Yes". "What about one minute past midnight?" "Er, no."

bath towels always in the dryer even in summer, they end up like sandpaper otherwise

1 minute ago, Zico said:

I do this all the time, leave stuff she's left that's fucking obviously in need of cleaning / tidying up

I don't know if she knows, and it's a stand off and she's winding me up, or if she genuinely doesn't notice

Have this with the yoofs and bins in their bedrooms . which will be overflowing on regular basis. 

Taken to throwing anything that’s fallen onto floor into their beds, which Mrs has go at me for.

Her major annoying trick is filling an old cereal box with rest of recycling including tins and glass to make easier to go to bin. Tell her to throw it into the waste bin to save the effort at recycling centre when it screws magnetic sorting

27 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Dishwasher packing🙈my mrs chucks stuff in like she is muckspreading. I have to unload and start again which means things are clean and you get more in.

I do that, Mrs Sweep just chucks stuff in, some of it even "upside down" so that it's just full of water when we go to empty it.

26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sounds familiar. Do a job, make two.

Open a tin of something but leave the empty can unrinsed. I usually follow up and do it as they wash dead quick if you do it straight away, but after a matter of minutes they develop a concrete like film.

I never clean cans, I just get them chucked in the recycling bin as they are  - I know it's not what you're supposed to do, but I really can't be arsed washing stuff before it goes in the green bin

12 minutes ago, L/H White said:

bath towels always in the dryer even in summer, they end up like sandpaper otherwise

11 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Fabric conditioner is your friend.

@Mounts Kippermight know more about this 😁  - but I'm sure I once heard that you're not supposed to use fabric conditioner/softener on towels, as it makes them less absorbent.

I'm off to Mumsnet to find out more  😁