Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth again...

Wanderlust

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Thought Lee was MOM lads on a purple patch, we’ve got the balance right across the 11 players. Top work from IE PA. 

Spot on, Lee was another level, made a game in difficult conditions look easy. That three of him, Morley and Dempsey looking very good. 

Back three get better by the game, all upping their levels. Not going to single one out, all three equally good. 

Bradley didn't get into game as much but, as IE said last week, with Williams we have more balance, play down the left more and aren't as reliant on him. Did still make some good contributions though. 

Pitch is grim but our technically superior players made light of if, as third goal showed.

Nice cameo from big Dan

Williams was all right, not the strongest tackler but couple of good bits of covering, some nice little interplay with Lee, Bod etc. Good in air and has got nice balance and pace

Bloody cold but enjoyable afternoon all round.

26 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Hes started well but don't get carried away. Let's see how he shapes when we hit a bad patch

Better than started well for me.  In terms of an "unknown" player making an impact, reminds me of how McAteer looked from day one, totally at home and always one of the better players on the pitch.  Ben Haim had a similar impact, as an unheralded signing.  I'd put my house on him making it at championship level.

I think Aimson has to take a lot of credit, whilst pretty unspectacular himself, he just does the job and reads the game well.

However, he seems to have organised the back three/five, not only in defending well, but in giving Johnson and Toal the confidence to get up to the opposition box too, like Evatt wants.

Johnson did it for a period last season but seemed to have regressed?, but since Aimson has come in the middle they all seem to know what they're doing. It wasn't always the case with Santos, he is not an organiser for me, I just hope Aimson isn't bombed out after his first mistake/poor game for the skipper, think he has earned a decent run.

Edited by JimmyRiddle

10 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Bradley has a habit of following the ball a little bit and drifting out of position so we might actually be doing Williams a disservice in that he’s noticing that and covering accordingly. Which actually brings to mind when they made a couple of breaks from corners and on each occasion it was Charles and Dan who chased all the way back. 

One thing that did concern me yesterday was a few times in second balls were down our left to forwards and Williams was not about. Both him and Bradley are very attacking and at times not sure the balance was right.

There again one goal conceded in 8 games might imply we are OK !

One, off topic, remark.

I've long felt that the current fashion for celebrating a goal by sliding 15 yards on your knees is a horror injury waiting to happen. It certainly requires a pitch in good condition. I hope no young follower ever tries it on Hilton Estate.

Charles tried to do this yesterday and it went wrong, it seems without any damage thankfully.

Is it just me being curmudgeonly ?

4 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

One, off topic, remark.

I've long felt that the current fashion for celebrating a goal by sliding 15 yards on your knees is a horror injury waiting to happen. It certainly requires a pitch in good condition. I hope no young follower ever tries it on Hilton Estate.

Charles tried to do this yesterday and it went wrong, it seems without any damage thankfully.

Knees, slides, cartwheels, backflips all very tin pot 

Do a shearer and get back on with the game ffs

5 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

One, off topic, remark.

Bit like getting a booking for taking your shirt off

It's a bollocks rule but it's still a rule 

Score five goals, take shirt off five times means a ban 

For what

Seem to remember a West Ham player few years back, was already on a yellow, scores late winner so takes his shirt off, second yellow and he's off

I'd fine him a month's wage

19 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

One, off topic, remark.

Yeh Charles tried to knee slide close to the orange perimiter path, he probably thought there was more grass to be had there 😀

He soon cut his slide short when he realised there was no sliding to be had.

If we’d tried that celebration at New House Farm back in the day, we’d have needed skin grafts on our knees.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

23 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Just watching the goals again, it was great control from Dempsey pulling the ball down for the 2nd goal

Was in front of us, the touch was brilliant he also produced a little trick to go round their man. (The man was at the WC btw) 

They have had a keeper on loan just been recalled, based on that goal they will be getting another in soon.