Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

2024 Holidays

Smiley

• 1 month later...

Nothing for nearly a year (ok, late May 2022). And now 2 trips in April…. Plus Wembley!

Standard family AI for a week in Fuerteventura (daughter chose it).

Then a 4 night road trip in Andalusia with my 2 elder daughters.
Day 1 Fly to Malaga, drive to Granada via Nerja (stop for lunch). 1 night. Do the palace tour.
Day 2 Drive to Ardales via El Torcal NP. Go kayaking, hiking.
Day 3 Caminito Del Rey hike (looks mint). Drive to Ronda. (Either wild swimming or via Ferrata).
Day 4 drive to Seville. Segway tour. Drive to Castellar de la Frontera. Overnight in a castle.
Day 5 drive down to Gibraltar (been advised to park and walk across border). Hike to the top of the rock. See the monkeys. Drive back to Malaga airport.

Any recommendations for eating in any of the above places or en-route. Love a bit of the local cuisine.

11 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Theres also Córdoba if you can squeeze in? The Mezquita is supposed to be fantastic. 

Gave it some consideration as an alternative to Seville (I’ve visited twice before), but stuck with the original itinerary now. Does look ace. I can see me returning! Feel like I know everything there is to know about the region already!

19 hours ago, Smiley said:

Nothing for nearly a year (ok, late May 2022). And now 2 trips in April…. Plus Wembley!

Day 1 Fly to Malaga, drive to Granada via Nerja (stop for lunch). 1 night. Do the palace tour.
Day 3 Caminito Del Rey hike (looks mint). Drive to Ronda. (Either wild swimming or via Ferrata).
Day 4 drive to Seville. Segway tour. Drive to Castellar de la Frontera. Overnight in a castle.
Day 5 drive down to Gibraltar (been advised to park and walk across border). Hike to the top of the rock. See the monkeys. Drive back to Malaga airport.

Any recommendations for eating in any of the above places or en-route. Love a bit of the local cuisine.

Got back from Benidorm on Sunday....staying over at Morecambe and Sheff Weds before we even get to the two nights for Wembley...and then my honeymoon a fortnight later! 🙈

Was in Negril for a couple of weeks in January and delivered a couple of old Wanderers shirts (courtesy of Norpig) to an online buddy who is now strutting them around Spanish Town. First time in Jamaica and absolutely loved it so we're going back for three weeks in November. Campervan to Portugal in May and have been roped into an "Arctic cruise" for a mates 60th birthday do in August. Never been on a cruise and don't particularly like the idea of being locked up in a tin of beans but have to show willing - she's a top mate.

3 hours ago, freds dad said:

Off on my first proper holiday for over three years on the 15th. Is it worth buying the Fast Track security passes?

We were very quick through security regardless in T3 last week but I do tend to get Fast Track for the sake of a fiver, especially if I’m going in the lounge 

On 27/02/2023 at 20:45, Smiley said:

Restaurant called Mesón Adarve in Antequera on your way to Ardales. 

34 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

We were very quick through security regardless in T3 last week but I do tend to get Fast Track for the sake of a fiver, especially if I’m going in the lounge 

Just booked two as I have the 1903 Lounge booked so need to maximise our time in there.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, jeep said:

Looking to do 5/6 nighter in Italy later this year.

Has anyone been to the following, and how long would you recommend staying for?

Siena

La Spezia

Florence 

Florence is amazing, but as touristy as it gets.

certainly worth one night and a visit to the Uffizi, don’t miss that.

Siena is a bit more laid back and worth the time.

Lucca should be on any itinerary. Best town in Italy. 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Florence is amazing, but as touristy as it gets.

certainly worth one night and a visit to the Uffizi, don’t miss that.

Siena is a bit more laid back and worth the time.

Lucca should be on any itinerary. Best town in Italy. 

Lucca, never heard of it, but I'm intrigued. Sell it to me.....

Is it worth doing 2 nights in Siena, or is 3 too much?

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, jeep said:

Lucca, never heard of it, but I'm intrigued. Sell it to me.....

Is it worth doing 2 nights in Siena, or is 3 too much?

Lucca is a centuries old walled city about 15 miles north of Pisa. Tiny streets, hundreds of trattorias, loads of picturesque squares full of random string quartets. Free Pucinni operettas most nights at one of the churches (they do an hour which is plenty).

you can usually get bikes from your hotel and it’s easy to cycle round the whole town in about an hour, longer if you stop for a beer and some ace food on the way.

it’s basically Venice without the canals, and easier to get around.

been 3 times, will be back.

https://www.lucca.info

Edited by Spider