Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Out With The Lout

barryk32

I don't get the fireworks and flares stuff at all and it's about time there was a real clampdown on it across the country. 

The rest of the statement seems OTT to me. 

Footballers at Bolton and elsewhere could do with stopping the practice of cupping their ears and prancing around in front of the opposition's fans after scoring. It's provocative and childish. The world of football could do with getting such bits of its own house in order before it lectures its loyal followers with impunity.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

Footballers cupping their ears! Whatever next?

I for one am ashamed and angry.

If you read the full post it says in front of opposition fans, a practice that was rarely seen before the last decade and is now seen most weeks. Its provocative and unnecessary and creates flashpoints that could be avoided with the application of a bit of common sense and humility.

If you want make bumptious remarks about my posts do please reply directly.

13 minutes ago, paulhanley said:

If you read the full post it says in front of opposition fans, a practice that was rarely seen before the last decade and is now seen most weeks. Its provocative and unnecessary and creates flashpoints that could be avoided with the application of a bit of common sense and humility.

If you want make bumptious remarks about my posts do please reply directly.

It causes flashpoints? Dear God, whatever next.

"Unfortunately, as a consequence of ongoing disorder from a small minority of fans when visiting opposition grounds this season, the club has now been warned and sanctioned by the FA as part of their new measures to tackle anti-social behaviour.

This is costing the club both financially and reputationally and is incredibly disappointing when so much is being done by so many to ensure Bolton Wanderers is a stable and sustainable football club, continuing its positive journey forwards."

Clearly isn't just the club overreacting for the sake of it, what do you want them to say? 

It's OK you crack on and we will keep paying fines and getting sanctions?

Other clubs have had similar warnings and posted similar statements.

1 hour ago, paulhanley said:

I don't get the fireworks and flares stuff at all and it's about time there was a real clampdown on it across the country. 

The rest of the statement seems OTT to me. 

Footballers at Bolton and elsewhere could do with stopping the practice of cupping their ears and prancing around in front of the opposition's fans after scoring. It's provocative and childish. The world of football could do with getting such bits of its own house in order before it lectures its loyal followers with impunity.

Shut up you PISSFLAP 

• Site Supporter

Folk have been saying this for a while- it almost certainly isn't a voluntary move by Hart, but one enforced by the authorities. 

Whether he could frame it differently I don't know, but it's no great surprise. 

It isn't just us though, but post covid there has been an increase in this type of behaviour.

The post above is correct though- both fans and players have a collective responsibility. 

I dont think the message us framed poorly, some people just hate Neil Hart and this clouds there judgement.

The club have to do something,  they have created a clear framework so any fans wanting to take a flare, or run on the pitch will know exactly what will happen and they have acknowledged it is a very small minority. A perfectly reasonable strategy.

Also if fans can't handle a player cupping an ear, or watching them celebrating a goal without throwing something or trying to attack the player then football probably isn't for them. It is part of the game and if you remove that we will have to ban fans booing and singing about opposition teams and players. 

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

I dont think the message us framed poorly, some people just hate Neil Hart and this clouds there judgement.

The club have to do something,  they have created a clear framework so any fans wanting to take a flare, or run on the pitch will know exactly what will happen and they have acknowledged it is a very small minority. A perfectly reasonable strategy.

Also if fans can't handle a player cupping an ear, or watching them celebrating a goal without throwing something or trying to attack the player then football probably isn't for them. It is part of the game and if you remove that we will have to ban fans booing and singing about opposition teams and players. 

Agree and disagree. 

Hart may have tried engaging a bit more initially, maybe a video, and/or newsletter to ST holders and interview with the BN, but you're right some have made their mind up.

As for players celebrating- I've never felt the compulsion to have a go at an opponent for celebrating and never would. 

At the same time, a number of them have seemingly made a deliberate effort to wind folk up. Add to that the stories that pervade the professional game of un-edifying behavior off the pitch and its not always a good look by some of these supposed role models.

Players come from society at large and may well reflect its behaviours, but as professionals I'd always want them to rise above- just as we do with folk in other industries. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think it'd help from a communication perspective if the statement provided more detail about specific examples that had resulted in the club being sanctioned by the FA.

Aye, fair point.

My concern is where does this lead if folk don't heed warnings?

Social issues manifesting themselves at the games being increasingly challenged by authorities. 

Don't need it.

1 hour ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

Why don’t you just go dry hump Neil 😁

my judgement is clouded but his blanket ban on ESL has impacted my match day in ESU so I don’t like him 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Big E said:

Why don’t you just go dry hump Neil 😁

my judgement is clouded but his blanket ban on ESL has impacted my match day in ESU so I don’t like him 

It may not be the best resolution and is probably ill conceived if it affects others. 

Presumably though you're witnessing the issue first hand, which is the point- other folk are causing the problems initially, not him.

Whilst Neil Hart treats the Supporters Trust as the voice of the fans he will never come up correct solutions. 

The ST represent a specific demographic that is not representative of our support, especially at away games. 
Not a dig at the ST btw. 

6 minutes ago, Ani said:

Whilst Neil Hart treats the Supporters Trust as the voice of the fans he will never come up correct solutions. 

The ST represent a specific demographic that is not representative of our support, especially at away games. 
Not a dig at the ST btw. 

Bang on the money.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, CambridgeBWFC said:

you've just argued against your self there