Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

UK Pension

globaldiver

My state pension for 2023-24 exceeds my personal allowance for the first time.

It is paid gross but is liable to tax.

In previous years the remainder of the personal allowance has been applied to my main defined benefit scheme pension with my long-term employer. Now this pension exceeds the full scope for the basic rate band of income tax, so the excess of my state pension over the personal allowance will be taxed alongside the DB pension (increasing the effective rate above 20%), with all the other bits and pieces taxed at 40%.

Oh, and my main scheme increase for the year was capped at 3.6% below the relevant inflation figure because that exceeded the scheme's maximum increase limit (similar will apply to almost all company scheme members, with only public sector pensions being paid at full rate as they are underwritten by taxpayers).

• Site Supporter
23 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

The pensions I have, I had to cash in early because of a combination of debt and redundancy and having to take a job on shit money. It turned out to be the best job I ever had. A job i still have, to finish my debts off, pay for holidays and visits to see Loft.

We're okay now, but would have been much better off if I hadn't had to cash in early.

Ultimately it all started with me getting in debt.

Apologies. By' the pensions I have' I still get a monthly payment off. I meant that I took a lump sum, not totally cashed.

On 05/03/2023 at 19:53, Spider said:

To be clear

You’re saying everyone gets a handout except white English males?

You missed the point , i was referring to the housing of any one that arrives here homeless

not just the fact they will pick up a pension as well even though they have not contributed

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, crawshawbooth said:

You missed the point , i was referring to the housing of any one that arrives here homeless

not just the fact they will pick up a pension as well even though they have not contributed

So the comment about white men, was that a typo?

On 05/03/2023 at 19:42, crawshawbooth said:

Spidy boy

you miss my point . our own feckless are always with us

we house them , the ones that "deserve" a roof over their heads

Happen not if you are white English male

All of them , our dross , and the dingy boys turn 67 and expect the same as we get

A State Pension !!!!!

What does this actually mean?

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Traf said:

What does this actually mean?

He’s angry that migrants land here, and are then given a house and told to retire on a free pension.

id be angry too. If that happened 

20 minutes ago, Spider said:

He’s angry that migrants land here, and are then given a house and told to retire on a free pension.

id be angry too. If that happened 

But he says that's happening and white English males get fuck all?

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's pretty clear from the rest of the post what he means. Rather than focus on the whole, perhaps a simple miss-type in a sentence is being used to re-write the post?

He seems confused.

I'm assuming he doesn't know much about how illegals get a pension either. 

3 hours ago, Spider said:

He seems confused.

I'm assuming he doesn't know much about how illegals get a pension either. 

You need to have paid in in terms of NI for ten years I think so not sure how an 'illegal' would qualify. Some people on benefits will have NI paid as part of the benefit. 

• Site Supporter

So, contrary to what Crawshawbooth claims, are we saying all these successful asylum seekers will eventually get to old age and had better hope they’d paid enough NI during their working life or they’ll be hand washing cars (or other gainful employment*) until the day they die?

* If they’re coming over in dinghies they aren’t coming over to prop up our NHS as doctors, dentists, nurses, etc., in fact they’re more likely to be putting extra pressure on the NHS. I feel sorry for anyone who feels the need to flee to another country to escape whatever it is they’re escaping.

We’re rightfully proud of our (the British) place in world society. Ignorantly, perhaps, we have little need to learn foreign languages because most foreigners learn English. Isn’t that why they want to land on our shores though? There’s little point trying to improve your chances in life by learning English, because it’s a fairly international language, and then staying put in Germany or France.

@crawshawboothwas clearly pissed or in a rush when he posted his rant. Hopefully, he'll come back on and explain what he's waffling on about, as what he put doesn't actually make any sense. I'm sure he doesn't really believe that immigrants get a full pension and a house when they land here

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

@crawshawboothwas clearly pissed or in a rush when he posted his rant. Hopefully, he'll come back on and explain what he's waffling on about, as what he put doesn't actually make any sense. I'm sure he doesn't really believe that immigrants get a full pension and a house when they land here

You’d certainly hope so.

4 hours ago, Sweep said:

I’m sure he was the chap who made the comment about the poppy memorials a few year back. That was good.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, tomski said:

I’m sure he was the chap who made the comment about the poppy memorials a few year back. That was good.

He was, can't remember what the actual comment was but remember thinking how can he not get banned for it.