Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

UK Pension

globaldiver

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Spider said:

go on, I'll bite

How is our standard of living of interest to Vladimir Putin who, I've just checked, isn't in our government?

If it's a gas price thing, have a look at wholesale prices 

As suspected you truly are a bit numb.

So here goes.

Inflation- reduces the value of everyone's money. Inflation caused (largely though not entirely) by his war.

We've already touched upon gas prices previously, and as someone who purports to know a bit about the energy sector, you ought to know that companies agreed deals to buy gas at a high price. Once those deals, have ended, and new deals at lower prices come in, we can all benefit from lower prices again.

Everyone in the world has been affected by inflationary pressures and many will suffer a standard of living drop.

Given its on the back of a pandemic and a huge financial crash a decade or so previously, its no wonder many countries are suffering low growth.

Interestingly, Poland (which Sir Kier seems to think can't be successful) benefited for years of net money in (from the eu) was growing well before the pandemic. Countries like us subsidising this in the process (the great EU design). The country now is still doing well on the back of a positive attitude towards growth and income generation, without it being a dirty word or concept that it appears to be here. 

You are one of the great bemoaners of others' wealth, which is a symptom of many here.

43 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

How does this work in practice?

If I start taking my private pension this year, where do I send the 10k a year to?   Presumably its done to boost my state pension when/if I get to 67? Or have I got this all arse about face?

Nothing to do with state pension, which is maxxed at 35 years and can’t be increased, until and if you defer it at state retirement age.

You can check if you are headed for the max 

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension

If not, you can look to top up. There’s something about doing summat before July.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

It's up to people how much they ultimately earn and put in a scheme. Start early and work hard.

Really? Is it that easy!?

It is a positive move but let's not try and pretend it can and will benefit everyone,  it is targeted to higher earners, in particular those in the NHS who were leaving due to previous constraints 

I'm no Tory but I agree with the pension changes. The Pension Tax has been hugely detrimental to the NHS and making genuine inroads into the waiting lists couldn't have happened without this. Hunts time as Health Secretary has no doubt influenced this decision and lots of ordinary folk will get their treatment quicker as a direct result. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As suspected you truly are a bit numb.

So here goes.

Inflation- reduces the value of everyone's money. Inflation caused (largely though not entirely) by his war.

We've already touched upon gas prices previously, and as someone who purports to know a bit about the energy sector, you ought to know that companies agreed deals to buy gas at a high price. Once those deals, have ended, and new deals at lower prices come in, we can all benefit from lower prices again.

Everyone in the world has been affected by inflationary pressures and many will suffer a standard of living drop.

Given its on the back of a pandemic and a huge financial crash a decade or so previously, its no wonder many countries are suffering low growth.

Interestingly, Poland (which Sir Kier seems to think can't be successful) benefited for years of net money in (from the eu) was growing well before the pandemic. Countries like us subsidising this in the process (the great EU design). The country now is still doing well on the back of a positive attitude towards growth and income generation, without it being a dirty word or concept that it appears to be here. 

You are one of the great bemoaners of others' wealth, which is a symptom of many here.

I bemoan others wealth.

When? And be specific because I’m a capitalist at heart.

and your post was the usual whataboutery. The grand brexit master plan has fallen to shit and we are , more than ever it seems, at the mercy of events outside our sceptred isle.

When will we take responsibility for ourselves? Because that’s what the visionaries tell us we should be doing. Juche-like self sufficiency.

4 hours ago, globaldiver said:

Do you utilise the £3,600 a year already?

I did last year as I did some work. If I did another 12 month contract would let me us full amount , I was above in year I worked . 

1 minute ago, Ani said:

I did last year as I did some work. If I did another 12 month contract would let me us full amount , I was above in year I worked . 

You can still do it even if not working. £3,600 costs £2,880.

Up to the Lifetime Allowance, but as that is now going….

1 minute ago, globaldiver said:

You can still do it even if not working. £3,600 costs £2,880.

Up to the Lifetime Allowance, but as that is now going….

My income is currently all from my Pension. I take £12700 tax allowance and then top up with whatever I need without going above basic rate tax. Plus the 25% tax free. Although to watch that as I took a large lump sum tax free to pay off mortgage. 

So to pay in I would also need to withdraw. I think ? 

5 hours ago, Spider said:

The only people I know who pay anything like £40k a year into their pensions are company owners and folk who are already very well off.

I certainly don’t know any “normal” families with kids and mortgages who will be glad of the extra headroom of £20k extra tax free pension savings.

Im sure there are stats to back this up but fuck it, I’m going to take a leap here and say such people probably aren’t the majority.

The £40k is not as relevant as the £1m increase. It sounds crazy but a £1m pot is not only for the highest earners. 

5 minutes ago, Ani said:

My income is currently all from my Pension. I take £12700 tax allowance and then top up with whatever I need without going above basic rate tax. Plus the 25% tax free. Although to watch that as I took a large lump sum tax free to pay off mortgage. 

So to pay in I would also need to withdraw. I think ? 

Don’t think so

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

How does this work in practice?

If I start taking my private pension this year, where do I send the 10k a year to?   Presumably it's done to boost my state pension when/if I get to 67? Or have I got this all arse about face?

This relates to private pensions. If you get to say 55 and take money out of your Pension you were capped at £3600 in terms of how much you can pay into a Pension. So if you do keep working it restricts how much you pay tax free into your pension, remember this includes you employers contribution. Increasing the amount removes a barrier to the over 55s going back to work. 

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Be helpful if nurseries paid a proper wage to the staff that might attract more into the sector .… you get more working at MacDonald’s. 

Indeed you do

However, theyre not shutting up shop cos they cant get the staff, theyre giving up cos they cant make money

Check out the funding, theres no way wages are going to go up

You can get more at macdonalds than some folk who work on the railways....are we up for paying them more, as well?

40 minutes ago, Ani said:

This relates to private pensions. If you get to say 55 and take money out of your Pension you were capped at £3600 in terms of how much you can pay into a Pension. So if you do keep working it restricts how much you pay tax free into your pension, remember this includes you employers contribution. Increasing the amount removes a barrier to the over 55s going back to work. 

Thanks for the response but I'm still a bit lost.  I have a pension from a previous employer that I could withdraw from in August.  If I carried on in my current job with its own separate pension scheme, does this change allow me to put more money into that scheme and in theory get more paid into it by my employer too? 🤔 

8 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Thanks for the response but I'm still a bit lost.  I have a pension from a previous employer that I could withdraw from in August.  If I carried on in my current job with its own separate pension scheme, does this change allow me to put more money into that scheme and in theory get more paid into it by my employer too? 🤔 

More than likely unchanged, depending on how much it was worth. 

But your max has gone from £40,000 a year to £60,000, with potential to carry forward 3 years, if that isn’t enough. Ts and Cs apply.

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

If we retain more doctors, which was where the pressure came from, we all are potential winners, I think you’ll agree.

Sorry, im one that has previously criticised the limit so yes, im pleased. Not sure id have opened it up beyond sectors where its an issue, mind

My comment you quoted was on child care