Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peterborough (A)

mattbwfc19

45 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I read that article about "the 5000" club in the Times. We're the 5th team (!) to do it (after Preston, Burnley, Wolves and Derby) but how come Preston have played 127 more league games than us? Is it because they spent longer in the lower divisions with more fixtures, something to do with the war years or something else? We all started on the same day so I wouldn't have imagined there'd be almost 3 seasons' difference

We had a decade or so playing 8 fewer games in the Prem than PNE had in the Football League. Soon mounts up.

Just about surfacing in the hotel. A good day had by all. Not a clue what time we left the barge after the game but what an outstanding place. 

1 minute ago, Leyther_Matt said:

We had a decade or so playing 8 fewer games in the Prem than PNE had in the Football League. Soon mounts up.

Just about surfacing in the hotel. A good day had by all. Not a clue what time we left the barge after the game but what an outstanding place. 

I think a few of us are dealing with hangovers after yesterday. I watched iFollow on Dodgystick.com via Germany which worked fine apart from a blip halfway through although I'm hearing others had a problem with it - but it left me with no choice but to spend the evening celebrating. Days like that don't happen very often, especially as my pre-match expectations weren't that high given Posh's form going into it. Superb.

2 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I think a few of us are dealing with hangovers after yesterday. I watched iFollow on Dodgystick.com via Germany which worked fine apart from a blip halfway through although I'm hearing others had a problem with it - but it left me with no choice but to spend the evening celebrating. Days like that don't happen very often, especially as my pre-match expectations weren't that high given Posh's form going into it. Superb.

I stopped at 5 pints

12 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Wonderful, & everyone contributed.  Trafford held everything, Jones great in defence & probably the best assist of the season in that thing of beauty, our 3rd goal (  i love Bradley but i don't think he's matched that) Lee classy as ever, Dempsey & Charles all action

Great assist, I'd throw in the similar one at Shrewsbury too, also for Charles.  Add his goal at MK Dons, that's 3 superb attacking contributions away from home from Jones off top of my head, and plenty on here have doubted his place in the side.  I think he's a bit underrated and for everything Bradley brings to the table, I don't see any drop in overall quality when Jones plays and on top of that he adds leadership and captaincy that we don't have a lot of.

4 hours ago, Deanu said:

Fucking class that, tbf we did the same to Charlton the other week who got off lucky but today we had that cutting edge to really punish the opp. Over the moon for Santos, Dion-Shola partnership is very effective away from home they cause carnage, thought Geth had a stormer today he owned that right hand side.

I didn't see the game so only going off commentary/highlights etc, but its fair to say 2 goals at Charlton flattered the home team (4 would have been a fairer reflection).  Maybe yesterday 5 flattered us? 

Refs have such a big influence on scorelines, the pen we didn't get at Charlton (trip on Lee) was every bit as much a pen as those 2 yesterday especially that dodgy 2nd one, on another day its 3 goals at Charlton and 3 yesterday, the only difference is the ref points to the spot in 1 game and not the other.

16 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Great assist, I'd throw in the similar one at Shrewsbury too, also for Charles.  Add his goal at MK Dons, that's 3 superb attacking contributions away from home from Jones off top of my head, and plenty on here have doubted his place in the side.  I think he's a bit underrated and for everything Bradley brings to the table, I don't see any drop in overall quality when Jones plays and on top of that he adds leadership and captaincy that we don't have a lot of.

What surprised me about Jones was how quickly he turned and got after the ball after winning the header - he was on it in a flash.

6 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

And we had that spell when the kids were playing when we only played/turned up if we fancied it 😄

The comparison with PNE also got me wondering if they'd included play off matches?  I'm guessing not, but if not it seems odd as they are effectively league games.  The statto in me wants to know if they're counted.

I'm sure someone else has said this but very similar to the Sunderland game that. Everything we did just went right. They had spells in the game but we marshalled them well 99% of the time. If Clarke Harris had scored that free header to make it 1-1 it may have been a different story but we've had plenty of games where the luck's gone against us. Someone was due a pasting and I'm surprised it was P'bro that were on the end of it.

Nevertheless, fantastic confidence builder that. 56 points on the board. 45 points to play for. Let's see where this takes us. As Evatt said, this result is meaningless unless we go out and beat MK Dons at home, then Wycombe away is another big away day which won't play to our strengths like P'Bro did. Not sure how MKD play this year but I wouldn't be surprised if they put all 11 men behind the ball...

7 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

No way she kept you out beyond 7 😁 wobbly Bob you 

There were so many groups of young Peterborough lads on the prowl yesterday in the town centre.

Haven’t seen this at any of our away game for some time….

Didn’t see a punch thrown or anything but they were clearly making their presence felt.

Edited by captainmed

52 minutes ago, captainmed said:

There were so many groups of young Peterborough lads on the prowl yesterday in the town centre.

Haven’t seen this at any of our away game for some time….

Didn’t see a punch thrown or anything but they were clearly making their presence felt.

Really?  

Went into the centre, had a couple of pints and saw nowt