Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cheltenham (H)

Horwich

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, L/H White said:

the lad from United is a very good player 

He was largely ineffective today. Showed for the ball, but little end product. Out muscled at times too. Speed of passing and movement didn't help. 

John was pants first half, better second when we were consistently pushing.

Big Vic got nowt in terms of service, but Dion was tremendous, his finish apart. Never stopped.

Jerome was excellent too in his cameo. 

Back 3 untroubled. 

Deserved win, against a team that was intent of playing with 2 banks of 5 at times, albeit only just.

Either a bit of magic or off someone’s arse was winning that 2nd half. Dempsey is very much the main man in that midfield now. Everyone seems to find him and it’s his role to link the play to forward. Different player to a couple of months ago 

conundrum at RWB

Isgrove and keep the same back 3 or Jones and bring Mbete in on the left? 🤔 

Yet another poxy outfit rocking up here and shithousing from minute 1, with 11 behind the ball. Justice that they got nothing; they were among the worst I've seen this season. Ref at least did cotton on to it after a while, but Bradley's first offence booking was farcical after Cheltenham's behaviour. 

Chuffed we managed to get the win though, you can tell this side is getting much better at scrapping, while still sticking to Evatt's possession based philosophy.

Only criticism I have: No matter what the BN comments section has been yelling for the past couple of months, today proved that Declan John really isn't the answer.  Defensive positioning non existent, and Jones left to do the work of two men, multiple times. A side like Wednesday would tear us apart on our left with him in the side.

8 minutes ago, L/H White said:

He linked up play in and around the box great, electric feet 

Highly likely the players around him aren't on his level 

He's very good.

Not on todays performance, agree the lads got something but perhaps will need to bed in and get used to this style of football. 

1 hour ago, 1969 said:

Yet again they were wankers to a man.Ref was very weak in dealing with their time wasting which made the Bradley one even more confusing.Great goal by Dempsey.We struggled today but got the points.Was the penalty appeal in the first half a pen (on Bradley)hard to see from were I was sat

No, 50/50 shoulder charge & well outside the box if it was given

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Not on todays performance, agree the lads got something but perhaps will need to bed in and get used to this style of football. 

Yep. His control let him down at times too.

With them sitting deep he ended up quite a way forward, usually with his back to goal, with at least one opponent always rattling him.

Work to do for him and others to get to understand each other. 

At times I felt the midfielders generally were a bit static and reluctant to make a run ahead of their back line.

Big Vic offered little, but again he was always back to goal, and had nothing to attack. 

Lack of any meaningful width and attacking threat down the left didn't help for sure.

Teams are not going roll over for us . They had  frustrating game plan that nearly worked .If Charles or Dempsey( unlucky)had scored in the first half Cheltenham would have had to change tactics. 2nd half first 18mins I thought they would nick it .

Slowly we took back control, ref did well.

Dempseys goal was just what he deserves after recent performances. 

Relax and enjoy the 3pts .

We have new faces on the pitch . It will take a while

Loved that win. Always great that 1st goal against shit house tactics.

Didn’t really happen for the new lads today. Jerome is a good option late on though. Too slow from the back and too much sideways today. Bloke next to me shouted fucking shoot seconds later their shit house keeper is picking it up out the net. Great goal.

Also hats off to our steward who booted the ball down the corner tunnel late on, as their player was running to get it.

• Moderators

Tough watch today 

Was said at ht it would have to be a long range goal as we were shite in the final third 

I don't think I've ever seen a player get injured off the pitch then walk back on it to then go down 

Next level time wasting that 

Though the ball boy had the last laugh

• Moderators

Was also impressed with Jerome in terms of talking to other players as to what to do as the game wore on 

We've got a lot of young players so an old head like his will come in handy on days like today

18 minutes ago, Zico said:

Tough watch today 

Was said at ht it would have to be a long range goal as we were shite in the final third 

I don't think I've ever seen a player get injured off the pitch then walk back on it to then go down 

Next level time wasting that 

Though the ball boy had the last laugh

He had already been booked and could have been sent off for that.

Great grind today.

I am not a Declan John but today felt it was tough for him as Jones is so right footed it never looked balanced so he got a lot ball when stationary or coming back, as he is so left footed really gave him nowhere  to go. 

His positioning when we are being attacked and the ball is knocked about is awful.

Thought their 23 looked a good player. 

Knew exactly what their plan was when they turned us round for kick off. Try and Nick on the break early doors but then break any type of momentum we were getting up. The lad who “injured” himself, hobbled around the edge of the pitch then walked on and sat down.. the ref knew what he was doing, everyone else could see it. I’m all in for the added time levels they introduced at the WC.