Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Delilah banned?

MickyD

9 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Woosh!

Banning Delilah.

“The WRU condemns domestic violence of any kind. We have previously sought advice from subject matter experts on the issue of censoring the song and we are respectfully aware that it is problematic and upsetting to some supporters because of its subject matter.”

Just another standard opera.

‘Here, at the end of act two, Tosca stabs the malevolent chief of police, mocking him, screaming at him to die by choking on his own blood -- at the hands of a woman.’

When experts on subject matter get involved, it’ll be banned. Along with others. 
Not sure if that’s a whoosh but I didn’t understand your whoosh.

Art is dead.

Edited by BobyBrno

• Moderators
4 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Banning Delilah.

“The WRU condemns domestic violence of any kind. We have previously sought advice from subject matter experts on the issue of censoring the song and we are respectfully aware that it is problematic and upsetting to some supporters because of its subject matter.”

‘Here, at the end of act two, Tosca stabs the malevolent chief of police, mocking him, screaming at him to die by choking on his own blood -- at the hands of a woman.’

When experts on subject matter get involved, it’ll be banned. Along with others. 

Art is dead.

Love belting out a bit of Puccini at the match me

8 hours ago, BobyBrno said:

Banning Delilah.

Art is dead.

Art is dead- Fuck me, what a drama queen.

I love the fact you are equating singing at a Rugby match with Tosca. Its not an equalvence. Basically some people have said they feel uncomfortable not with the song itsself but what happens within the collective crowd.

Hence the woosh as yiou've missed the point by so much you're halfway over the cliff.

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Art is dead- Fuck me, what a drama queen.

I love the fact you are equating singing at a Rugby match with Tosca. Its not an equalvence. Basically some people have said they feel uncomfortable not with the song itsself but what happens within the collective crowd.

Hence the woosh as yiou've missed the point by so much you're halfway over the cliff.

Still bollox though.

The majority of films, much drama & TV is based on violence, theft, drug running, mass killings, gangsters, wars. A whole genre of music is about misogyny & violence.

Where do we start banning ... or stop for that matter ?

Just now, Dr. Feelgood said:

Still bollox though.

The majority of films, much drama & TV is based on violence, theft, drug running, mass killings, gangsters, wars. A whole genre of music is about misogyny & violence.

Hey, I'm not saying banning Delilah is correct, but the reasons behind it are not just about the lyrics to the song. Its not that simples. I think The Sensational Alex Harvey Band performing it on the old grey whistle test is fantastic. But that is a totally different context.

And that's what BB has got mix up in his equivalence.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Still bollox though.

Dead right. 

Shooting and killing is so normalised in film etc- it's quite sad really. 

• Moderators
48 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Still bollox though.

44 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Dead right. 

Shooting and killing is so normalised in film etc- it's quite sad really. 

apparently they took it off the play list several years ago, and has been slowly earsed from being sung by more recently pre match choirs

to be fair, welsh rugby are having to do a lot of things to right wrongs from the past relating to sexism and mysogyny at the moment

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-64412891

so they're basically just making sure they are squeaky clean moving forward, and having a choir sing loud and proud about a bloke stabbing his wife to death isn't something they really need to do

that doesn't mean any films or songs that highlight this sort of thing should be banned, but just think twice about when and where they are broadcast

i'll still do it at karaoke

5 hours ago, Zico said:

apparently they took it off the play list several years ago, and has been slowly earsed from being sung by more recently pre match choirs

to be fair, welsh rugby are having to do a lot of things to right wrongs from the past relating to sexism and mysogyny at the moment

so they're basically just making sure they are squeaky clean moving forward, and having a choir sing loud and proud about a bloke stabbing his wife to death isn't something they really need to do

that doesn't mean any films or songs that highlight this sort of thing should be banned, but just think twice about when and where they are broadcast

I guess 'Paranoid' is right out then, not to mention 'Bonnie & Clyde'. 😂

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Zico said:

And murder it 😁

• Site Supporter

And a playlist for the King’s Coronation has been released and features that great Tom Jones classic song about the beauty of Wales, The Green, Green Grass of Home.

It’s actually a song written in America by an American about America.

It’s also a song about the impending execution of the singer.

Great choice!

41 minutes ago, MickyD said:

It’s also a song about the impending execution of the singer.

Great choice!

"Then I awake and look around me.
At four grey walls that surround me.
And I realize, yes, I was only dreaming.
For there's a guard and there's a sad, old padre ...".

One assume she's a guy who killed someone. Maybe it was Delilah !!

Edited by Dr. Feelgood