Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

MK Dons (H)

globaldiver

5 hours ago, freds dad said:

Planning to have some food before the match and usually get some in the hotel but fancy a change. What food is available at the Fan Zone and any recommendations?

The food is very good, seems like everything is a fiver but you get decent portions, burgers, pizza's, thai curry, kebabs, salt and pepper chips the choices are good

Ouija board says.....

Hold on tight then as we enter a difficult few weeks starting with the game at Bolton on Tuesday night, then we are away to Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend who boast a superb home record and then on Feb 25th we are back at home in the Ipswich Town Cup final, that’s the game where they bring about 7,000 fans and East Anglia goes up in the water by about 4 feet.

Whilst Bolton are firmly in the hunt for a playoff spot a closer inspection of their results this season leaves you feeling unconvinced about them. They generally get the job done, but on many occasions just by the odd goal, and they are just as likely to upset a bigger team, but they are more than capable of losing a game against one of the struggling teams. The full league record of both clubs is below and also showing the home record of Bolton and the away record of the Dons

Bolton (4th) – P 31, W 16, D 8, L 7, GF 43, GA 23, Pts 56.
MK Dons (20th) – P 30, W 8, D 5, L 7, GF 28, GA 41, Pts 29.
Bolton (H) (3rd) – P 16, W 10, D 4, L 2, GF 21, GA 8, Pts 34.
MK Dons (A) (10th) – P 14, W 6, D 1, L 7, GF 17, GA 17, Pts 19.

Whilst we are a different prospect on the road, Bolton are formidable at home and have conceded the least number of goals out of all the LG 1 teams, just 8. Their 10 wins have been against Morecambe, Wycombe, Peterborough, Charlton, Burton Albion, Lincoln City, Exeter City, Forest Green, Portsmouth, and Cheltenham Town, their 2 defeats have been against Oxford Utd, and Sheffield Wednesday.

Whilst there is a huge gap between our respective league positions this season, historically there is nothing between the two teams.

The full record is shown below with all games being LG1 unless stated.

2015/16 – MK Dons 1 Bolton 0 (CH) (Powell)
2015/16 – Bolton 3 MK Dons 1 (CH) (Murphy)
2016/17 – Bolton 1 MK Dons 1 (Colclough)
2016/17 – MK Dons 1 Bolton 1 (Agard)
2019/20 – Bolton 1 MK Dons 0
2019/20 – MK Dons 1 Bolton 0 (Healey)
2021/22 – Bolton 3 MK Dons 3 (Eisa, Twine, Boateng)
2021/22 – MK Dons 2 Bolton 0 (Eisa, Twine)
2022/23 – MK Dons 0 Bolton 2

That’s a record of P 9, W 3, D 3, L 3, GF 10, GA 11.

Now I know I said about 500 words ago I was unconvinced by Bolton as a prospective promotion candidate, well we might have to think again as they took apart Peterborough 5-0 at London Road on Saturday and celebrated their 5000th league game in style.

Centre half Santos scored a brace, but it was Dion Charles that grabbed the headlines with a 9 minute hattrick either side of half time and Bolton even had the luxury of subbing him off to keep him warm for our visit. Charles is of course the Trotters top scorer this season with 15 goals in all comps, and Conor Bradley and Kieran Lee are his main providers with 4 assists each.

If my memory serves me correctly I think we were once linked with Charles, but he joined Bolton in Jan 2022 for an estimated £320k and became the first Bolton player in 5 years where cash was exchanged, and it just shows you how the new regime have turned things around, and adds more fuel to the fire in the “Be careful what you wish for” debate.

The gaffer at Bolton is probably an unknown to many of us is 41 year old Ian Evatt who was a centre half in his playing days for the likes of Derby County, Northampton Town, Chesterfield, QPR, Blackpool, and finally Chesterfield. In his 18 year career he played 594 games scoring 26 goals. His managerial career started at Chesterfield as a caretaker and then he took on the role at Barrow where he earnt his stripes. He came on to Bolton’s radar in the summer of 2020 and joined them just before the start of the new season but not before Barrow were paid £250k compensation.

Evatt has recently signed an extension to his contract to take him through to summer 2024 and it’s probably because of his superb numbers that show he has a career Win Ratio of nearly 47% and that goes up 2 points during his time at Bolton

Betting – As you would expect Bolton are red hot favourites for this.

Bolton 8/11, Draw 14/4, MK Dons 5/1

Prediction – I’d like to be able to say we have a fighting chance in this, but even with our superior away form, I’m not sure we have as I remain concerned with our fitness levels and the way we fell off the edge of the cliff on the hour against Oxford.

I think its going to be a case of how long we can frustrate them, if we can stand firm they just might get caught on the break, if we concede early, you will fear the worst. Sorry folks, I’m going to have to predict a 3-0 win for Bolton, I just hope we don’t get taken apart as that could demoralise us further, and I would seriously take a 1-0 defeat as a moral victory.

Team News Question marks on Leko and McEachran, but we are only guessing, fingers crossed both have recovered.

9 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Whilst there is a huge gap between our respective league positions this season, historically there is nothing between the two teams.

Interesting to see a Franchise Fan use the word "historically".

1-1 as they scrap a set piece goal, 11 sit behind the ball and we come back down to earth with a bump, even while celebrating an 88th minute equaliser from Bradley (edit: is he still suspended?). Hope I'm desperately wrong.

Edited by TM Trotter

21 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

Interesting to see a Franchise Fan use the word "historically".

1-1 as they scrap a set piece goal, 11 sit behind the ball and we come back down to earth with a bump, even while celebrating an 88th minute equaliser from Bradley (edit: is he still suspended?). Hope I'm desperately wrong.

Yes he is 

As always, an early goal should make this more comfortable, but if not, same as last home game,keep patient & pass them to death. Do NOT start lumping high balls in (geddit in the box ) or shooting wildly from miles out (shooooot )

I'd give Lee a rest & save him for Wycombe, put Shortire in midfield & bring in Victor. If it's all going swimmingly, it'd be useful to give Dempsey & Morley a bit of a breather later on as well.

1 hour ago, bolton va va said:

I'd give Lee a rest & save him for Wycombe, put Shortire in midfield & bring in Victor. 

Would normally agree however I also wouldn’t have an issue with Victor or Jerome playing at Wycombe. 

they’re a big old side and play to their strengths. Lee and Shoretire might be a little bit lightweight especially defensively at corners etc. sometimes having a big old unit up top to hold the ball is just as useful as someone diminutive 

25 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

On the Newcastle games- my brother was playing in the brass band that did the entertainment. 

He recounted the atmosphere and game, and I reckon that sowed the seed of me becoming a big fan.

The only lesson/s I ever wagged was to get a ticket. Only double Chemistry, unimportant.

32 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Would normally agree however I also wouldn’t have an issue with Victor or Jerome playing at Wycombe. 

they’re a big old side and play to their strengths. Lee and Shoretire might be a little bit lightweight especially defensively at corners etc. sometimes having a big old unit up top to hold the ball is just as useful as someone diminutive 

I'd have no problem with that, i'm a great believer in 'horses for courses '.

but, though we're not a big team, we've  toughened up considerably as P/boro found out, & as good as it is to have some big fuckers in the team, i can't see many bullying us now. Burton away will be the test of that !!!!

46 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

On the Newcastle games- my brother was playing in the brass band that did the entertainment. 

He recounted the atmosphere and game, and I reckon that sowed the seed of me becoming a big fan.

Exactly the same, I'd always supported BWFC but what happened that day sticks in my mind forever and i didn't even go to the game. Had been to a school game somewhere in the Manchester area, a couple of teams usually traveled together , us 11 year olds and probably some older lads in another team.

Traveling back on the coach (you went in school uniform even on a Saturday) a couple of kids had Bolton scarfs and it was entertainment to waves these around in the windows in the Manchester suburbs, you'd get the odd wave of an old lady or the odd fingers from some local scroats.

Approaching manny rd we were practicing holding the scarfs up as we passed Burnden it was probably only 11:45 -12:00ish, traffic was very slow and as we got near Burnden black & white everywhere, thousands of fat Geordie's all the way up Manny rd into town.

Well the atmosphere on a coach full of excited 11 year olds banging on the windows and winding up grown men was addictive.

That afternoon we went to play football on Haslem Park and you could hear the roar above the traffic from up Deane.

5 hours ago, globaldiver said:

47 years ago today was the first of the unforgettable trilogy v Newcastle in the Cup.

The BEN produced a special and hoping for a Valentines Day Massacre.

Remember that game I was in the Lever end what an atmosphere went the replay at Elland Road as well. 

So did I Riz and at Elland Road there were as many Geordie fans amongst us as Wanderers yet not a hint of trouble. All 3 games were amazing but that McDonald goal from the thrown in is still one of the best I’ve ever seen. I was lucky enough to be right behind the ball as he hit it and as soon as it left his foot you knew it was in. When they beat us at Elland Road the Newcastle fans were totally complimentary on the games we’d given them. Three fantastic matches and incredible atmospheres. Those were the days and hopefully in years to come our young fans will enjoy similar.

As for tonight 3-0 to the mighty Wanderers.

13 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Ouija board says.....

Hold on tight then as we enter a difficult few weeks starting with the game at Bolton on Tuesday night, then we are away to Sheffield Wednesday at the weekend who boast a superb home record and then on Feb 25th we are back at home in the Ipswich Town Cup final, that’s the game where they bring about 7,000 fans and East Anglia goes up in the water by about 4 feet.

Whilst Bolton are firmly in the hunt for a playoff spot a closer inspection of their results this season leaves you feeling unconvinced about them. They generally get the job done, but on many occasions just by the odd goal, and they are just as likely to upset a bigger team, but they are more than capable of losing a game against one of the struggling teams. The full league record of both clubs is below and also showing the home record of Bolton and the away record of the Dons

Bolton (4th) – P 31, W 16, D 8, L 7, GF 43, GA 23, Pts 56.
MK Dons (20th) – P 30, W 8, D 5, L 7, GF 28, GA 41, Pts 29.
Bolton (H) (3rd) – P 16, W 10, D 4, L 2, GF 21, GA 8, Pts 34.
MK Dons (A) (10th) – P 14, W 6, D 1, L 7, GF 17, GA 17, Pts 19.

Whilst we are a different prospect on the road, Bolton are formidable at home and have conceded the least number of goals out of all the LG 1 teams, just 8. Their 10 wins have been against Morecambe, Wycombe, Peterborough, Charlton, Burton Albion, Lincoln City, Exeter City, Forest Green, Portsmouth, and Cheltenham Town, their 2 defeats have been against Oxford Utd, and Sheffield Wednesday.

Now I know I said about 500 words ago I was unconvinced by Bolton as a prospective promotion candidate, well we might have to think again as they took apart Peterborough 5-0 at London Road on Saturday and celebrated their 5000th league game in style.

Centre half Santos scored a brace, but it was Dion Charles that grabbed the headlines with a 9 minute hattrick either side of half time and Bolton even had the luxury of subbing him off to keep him warm for our visit. Charles is of course the Trotters top scorer this season with 15 goals in all comps, and Conor Bradley and Kieran Lee are his main providers with 4 assists each.

If my memory serves me correctly I think we were once linked with Charles, but he joined Bolton in Jan 2022 for an estimated £320k and became the first Bolton player in 5 years where cash was exchanged, and it just shows you how the new regime have turned things around, and adds more fuel to the fire in the “Be careful what you wish for” debate.

The gaffer at Bolton is probably an unknown to many of us is 41 year old Ian Evatt who was a centre half in his playing days for the likes of Derby County, Northampton Town, Chesterfield, QPR, Blackpool, and finally Chesterfield. In his 18 year career he played 594 games scoring 26 goals. His managerial career started at Chesterfield as a caretaker and then he took on the role at Barrow where he earnt his stripes. He came on to Bolton’s radar in the summer of 2020 and joined them just before the start of the new season but not before Barrow were paid £250k compensation.

Evatt has recently signed an extension to his contract to take him through to summer 2024 and it’s probably because of his superb numbers that show he has a career Win Ratio of nearly 47% and that goes up 2 points during his time at Bolton

Betting – As you would expect Bolton are red hot favourites for this.

Bolton 8/11, Draw 14/4, MK Dons 5/1

Prediction – I’d like to be able to say we have a fighting chance in this, but even with our superior away form, I’m not sure we have as I remain concerned with our fitness levels and the way we fell off the edge of the cliff on the hour against Oxford.

I think its going to be a case of how long we can frustrate them, if we can stand firm they just might get caught on the break, if we concede early, you will fear the worst. Sorry folks, I’m going to have to predict a 3-0 win for Bolton, I just hope we don’t get taken apart as that could demoralise us further, and I would seriously take a 1-0 defeat as a moral victory.

Team News Question marks on Leko and McEachran, but we are only guessing, fingers crossed both have recovered.

Doesn’t seem like anyone wants to chat to you the Concrete Roundabout Lusty, in fact there doesn’t seem much interest period. Probably illustrates what a small club they are??

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

Doesn’t seem like anyone wants to chat to you the Concrete Roundabout Lusty, in fact there doesn’t seem much interest period. Probably illustrates what a small club they are??

Nobody seems to want to chat with anybody mate - it's dead. I've looked for other sites but nothing of note.

Found this interesting interview with Sullay Kaikai  in which the interviewer seems to think that with their new strikers they are going to score shedloads, that that they are creating shedloads and it's just a matter of sticking them away now.

Well we'll see.