Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Then 'big clubs'.

Dr. Feelgood

5 minutes ago, MickyD said:

My hope is the streaming rights to this Super League are won by a premium channel so Sky Sports are left to concentrate on the ones staying here. It’ll show them the average football fan’s appetite is for football, not necessarily Man U, City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and… no, can’t think of the sixth!

I think it was Spurs.  Hope the ESL goes ahead, they can all play each other every week and wont be missed, leave us to it.  There's nothing fair about FFP, its elite protectionism at its worst.

FIFA is a corrupt joke. Has been for decades. UEFA is the same. (As an aside, you can chuck the IOC onto the same pile).

The Premier League is not at their level but looks after its own.

Breakaways, with no more genuine interest than to money grab in their directions see enormously endebted Barca, Madrid, Juve, the Milan's & many others trying to solve their failures by highway robbery. Sky et al have allowed the English elite to spend tomorrow's money today.

Threats include debarring clubs from the ever expanding Champions League, they threaten players in those clubs with not being eligible for selection to World/Continental Cups ... a threat which is decreasingly effective.

Some form of European 'Super League' will form eventually. (See LIV in golf). Maybe it will need a few iterations before it settles. I think they may be surprised how little proper fans will care after a while.

How enticing is "Tonight's big matches are Salzberg Red Bull v Malmo, followed immediately by AC Milan v Barcelona for the 4th time this season" ?

I'd gladly see the whole fckg shambles come tumbling down tbh.

I think the clubs want to have their cake and eat it.

Play in a smaller (16-teams has been mooted) EPL division at weekends and the ESL midweek with no restrictions on squad size, so they can stockpile more talent to the dteriment of the rest of us.

44 minutes ago, Traf said:

Play in a smaller (16-teams has been mooted) EPL division at weekends and the ESL midweek with no restrictions on squad size, so they can stockpile more talent to the dteriment of the rest of us.

... & claim they're helping preserve the spirit of the national leagues.

They can fck right off.

1 hour ago, Traf said:

100% they will win and be accommodated too.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, tomski said:

I'll never be convinced Man City’s owners have run that club worse than the glazers have rinsing it etc. ffp for me was to protect clubs from being run into the ground. The only danger at Man City is upsetting rival clubs fans.

as far as I can tell, the issue at City (unlike Liverpool and Utd) is they don't have the revenue coming to justify what they spend on managers, players, wages etc, so they get crafty with the books - like when they employed Mancini, the club paid him £1.5M a year, whilst he was then employed as a consultant to another company owned by the same owners and paid him the same again

lots of bonuses to top up basic salaries as well

all very murky

43 minutes ago, Zico said:

as far as I can tell, the issue at City (unlike Liverpool and Utd) is they don't have the revenue coming to justify what they spend on managers, players, wages etc, so they get crafty with the books - like when they employed Mancini, the club paid him £1.5M a year, whilst he was then employed as a consultant to another company owned by the same owners and paid him the same again

all very murky

Yea this is key.

Problem with the prem is everyone points the finger at other clubs, nobody can take the moral high-ground.

I think over 10 teams have broke FFP or Prem Sustainability rules over last few years, and another 4/5 are currently being inveestigated.

Almost every club has also been done for cheating in recruiting young players too, or other ways of cheating.

Its rife, and its because of the prize money and instant need for success, driven by foreign investors and foreign social media fans.

Its horrible & the sooner it collapses, the better.

Edited by Pablo

28 minutes ago, Zico said:

all very murky

Aye I think you are spot on. Betting firm partners that allegedly don't have any customers etc etc. I’ve no doubt this is all going on.

That said if it’s all being paid and not running Man City in to the ground I genuinely don’t see what the issue is. If we don’t have these types of people it will be a closed shop on who has more fans buying t shirts etc. Surely a model where everyone gets paid and no issues are caused is a decent enough model that works in most other walks of life.

Also....all this money thats come into City & Chelsea and soon to be Newcastle.

Look at what those owners have done to the community and area around those grounds....its real infastructure and economical growth...thats all real.

In my book thats much better than what Glaziers and FSG have done by just milking the over-seas fans of those clubs.

Their money is no greener.

Edited by Pablo

8 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Look at what those owners have done to the community and area around those grounds....its real infastructure and economical growth...thats all real.

In my book thats much better than what Glaziers and FSG have done by just milking the over-seas fans of those clubs.

What have Chelsea done around their ground? 

I know they planned a new stadium but that got shelved 

21 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

What have Chelsea done around their ground? 

I know they planned a new stadium but that got shelved 

Developed the ground, built new hotel and restarants. They also built a huge new training ground.

All these have not give jobs, money and development to those areas.

Also developed that academy to produce loads of current England players.

Edited by Pablo

3 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Developed the ground, built new hotel and restarants. They also built a huge new training ground.

All these have not give jobs, money and development to those areas.

Also developed that academy to produce loads of current England players.

Think it was Ken Bates who built the hotel as he had a room in there 

The training ground etc are nowhere near Stamford Bridge but out in Surrey and helps them to mop up all the local young talent 

13 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

What did you reckon to David Jack ?

6 years old Plymouth at home on a Tuesday night 75/76 think the crowd was around 22,000 Nil nil . Player called ray train stood out . Can’t remember many games from the age of 16 due to alcohol but remember the first one . 

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, Pablo said:

aye, if someone coughs up their own cash, then let them

the glazers have propped the club up with huge debt in order to reap dividends for themselves

that leaves the club in a far more precarious state than City

but then again

they aren't doing it to win the club things, which is evident as they are not winning things, so it's not like they are cheating

too far gone to do anything to actually sort it all out and level the playing field now

46 minutes ago, Pablo said:

Exactly 

9 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

6 years old Plymouth at home on a Tuesday night 75/76 think the crowd was around 22,000 Nil nil . Player called ray train stood out . Can’t remember many games from the age of 16 due to alcohol but remember the first one . 

Tiny, curly hated little player. Very capable.

He was a serial promotee from the 2nd to 1st tier but rarely played at the top level & stepped back ... only to be promoted again.

Us, Watford, Sunderland & Carlisle (probably 3rd to 2nd in that instance).

25 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Think it was Ken Bates who built the hotel as he had a room in there 

The training ground etc are nowhere near Stamford Bridge but out in Surrey and helps them to mop up all the local young talent 

Its pretty much a new ground on the outside, transformed. Been beofre and after Russian money, diff levels.

Its still investment into the country, no matter where the new ground is, and they have developed loads of England players, thats a fact.

Campare it to previously....they produced nothing.

Im no lover of Chelsea btw.

Edited by Pablo

1 hour ago, Pablo said:

Yea this is key.

Problem with the prem is everyone points the finger at other clubs, nobody can take the moral high-ground.

I think over 10 teams have broke FFP or Prem Sustainability rules over last few years, and another 4/5 are currently being inveestigated.

Almost every club has also been done for cheating in recruiting young players too, or other ways of cheating.

Its rife, and its because of the prize money and instant need for success, driven by foreign investors and foreign social media fans.

Its horrible & the sooner it collapses, the better.

The most blatant bit of false accounting to get around FFP is the 50M for Stanley Park plans. I’m a design manager for one of largest construction firms in the country and if I had spent 1/6th of total 300M budget for the scheme to get to outline planning stage I’d expect to be sacked. 10% (30M) to get to full set of construction issue drawings is the norm.

Or to put it another way 50M spread over the five years you would be employing 100 people at £100K per annum full time. Really?

5M top’s should have been the cost.

Also seems City are being charged by Prem for failing UEFA FFP guidelines. Liverpool admitted this for two seasons when they didn’t qualify in 11/12 and 12/13.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1987144-liverpool-and-financial-fair-play-how-it-affects-their-champions-league-hopes.amp.html[/URL]

2 hours ago, Pablo said:

Its pretty much a new ground on the outside, transformed. Been beofre and after Russian money, diff levels.

Its still investment into the country, no matter where the new ground is, and they have developed loads of England players, thats a fact.

Campare it to previously....they produced nothing.

Im no lover of Chelsea btw.

Was meaning in reference to what you were saying about what they have done around their grounds and the community 

City yes, but around Stamford Bridge it was hardly lacking in restaurants etc 

Edited by DirtySanchez

22 hours ago, green genie said:

The most blatant bit of false accounting to get around FFP is the 50M for Stanley Park plans. I’m a design manager for one of largest construction firms in the country and if I had spent 1/6th of total 300M budget for the scheme to get to outline planning stage I’d expect to be sacked. 10% (30M) to get to full set of construction issue drawings is the norm.

Or to put it another way 50M spread over the five years you would be employing 100 people at £100K per annum full time. Really?

5M top’s should have been the cost.

Also seems City are being charged by Prem for failing UEFA FFP guidelines. Liverpool admitted this for two seasons when they didn’t qualify in 11/12 and 12/13.

[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/1987144-liverpool-and-financial-fair-play-how-it-affects-their-champions-league-hopes.amp.html[/URL]

Hadnt noticed that one, ouch.

Wonder what your employer would think if your plans lost a UNESCO listing too...?