Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Run In

green genie

There are still a lot of twists and turns to come in this run in as the chase hots up particularly amongst the teams chasing 6th place and those trying to avoid the drop 

We are bound to see some results that go against forecasts

Keep an eye on Shrewsbury Town -  gone under the radar so far- could shake things up   

won 6 in a row and are top of  the current form table and are now chasing that 6th spot and have to play all the top 6 

We just have to keep focused and keeping winning our games 

l

• Moderators

current betting situation:

£100 each way on the title @ 15/1 - no cash out offered

£100 on promotion @ 4/1 - cash out £89.56

£200 on top 6 finish @ 6/4 - cash out £334.97

£20 each way on Charles top scorer @ 20/1 - no cash out offered 

8 minutes ago, Zico said:

current betting situation:

£100 each way on the title @ 15/1 - no cash out offered

£100 on promotion @ 4/1 - cash out £89.56

£200 on top 6 finish @ 6/4 - cash out £334.97

£20 each way on Charles top scorer @ 20/1 - no cash out offered 

Not sure where Charles is against Clarke-Harries. Charles is on 17 all comps but think CH has that in the league alone? 

that cash out on promotion is a tempter 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Not sure where Charles is against Clarke-Harries. Charles is on 17 all comps but think CH has that in the league alone? 

that cash out on promotion is a tempter 

Johnson on 16, Charles and Collins (Bristol) on 14

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/league-one/top-scorers

not tempted in the slightest with the £89 cash out

2 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Weds v Derby last game could be very important for many 

Games that look like absolute crunch promotion deciders when viewed in advance, sometimes become very different in May.  Often one of the teams is either already up (Sheff Wed maybe) or guaranteed to finish no higher or lower than play offs (Derby maybe).  It can be almost unfair on the others involved that for eg Derby could be playing a team already on the beach, or Sheff W could be playing against a weakened team while they await the play offs.   Barnsley v Peterboro is another one that could be a gimme for one of them, just the luck of the draw if one team is no longer needing points.

Edited by Johnnyrotten

Still concerned about Barnsley, we are 6 points ahead but they played 3 games less so we can't ignore them yet. 

I think we will finish in the top 6 for sure, whether that is 3rd or 6th I couldn't say, very tight.

Think the autos are still a bit beyond us, but if go on a run now that we are more than capable of, then you just never know.

Still got sheff weds and Ipswich to play 

23 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

Might have been mentioned elsewhere, but why have we got so few games in March?

The EFL fixture list had no midweek games for anyone in March, so everyone only had 4.  We brought forward our game v Plymouth in anticipation of it being called off because its an internationals week, reducing our's to 3.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Still concerned about Barnsley, we are 6 points ahead but they played 3 games less so we can't ignore them yet. 

I think we will finish in the top 6 for sure, whether that is 3rd or 6th I couldn't say, very tight.

Think the autos are still a bit beyond us, but if go on a run now that we are more than capable of, then you just never know.

Still got sheff weds and Ipswich to play 

autos aren't beyond the realms but the games in hand distort my thinking

basically, I'm reserving judgement/hope untill end of March when we all have 8 left and the majority of us have played each other

those 4 match days off when everyone else is catching up could work in our favour fitness wise, little mini break before the intense push to the end 

Based on the game’s remaining it really looks like the present top two will take the Autos. Plymouth have the easiest run in and  unless they go on a really bad run it’s play offs for us.

barnsley have a very difficult run in and I can see them missing out and Wycombe or Peterborough sneaking in but a lot of games yet to come and no easy games in this division 

Periods where we don’t play worry me. I don’t think long breaks do the players any good, especially when everyone else is playing and they’re just watching results.I think players like to keep their momentum up and it’s difficult to get back into it once you’ve stopped and it also can affect actual match fitness. I certainly don’t like teams taking sunny breaks because they always seem to lose focus. Hopefully we won’t and in April we can pick up where we’ve left off?

Just as was the case two years ago it's impossible not to have a crafty glance at the gap between us and the two automatic promotion slots after victories. Given the form of those occupying those positions it's a tough ask. However it is not entirely beyond the bounds of possibility. It feels like two years ago in Div 4 - although then we had three automatic spots to go at. Others have referred to 92/3 as a legitimate comparison. 

A more plausible aim is to get 3rd or 4th and thus ensure a play off double header with the home leg second. Being at home second is an advantage, not necessarily a huge one but an advantage nonetheless.

That run-in seems slightly kinder for us than the others. However the games in hand thing might even that out.

26 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Periods where we don’t play worry me. I don’t think long breaks do the players any good, especially when everyone else is playing and they’re just watching results.I think players like to keep their momentum up and it’s difficult to get back into it once you’ve stopped and it also can affect actual match fitness. I certainly don’t like teams taking sunny breaks because they always seem to lose focus. Hopefully we won’t and in April we can pick up where we’ve left off?

Maybe Derby not having a proper pre-season could kick in?