Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

What factors enabled our current run of form?

Jayjay23

I'll chuck a few thoughts out without checking them against the facts and not in any particular order. 

Some of my thoughts might be minor or major contributors, and some may have started the run, while others have helped maintain it. 

Enforced changes. 

Losing Iredale, Thomasson, Jones, Dapo and Kachunga all helped us in one way or another when they happened. 

The return of John, the reintroduction of Jones, the new signings, the finding of form for Morley, Charles and Dempsey. Toal coming in. 

A more settled starting eleven. A bit of luck at both ends. The consistency of Trafford. Good crowds home and away. Evatt getting things more right than wrong*. 

*even though I think he might have carried on picking Kachunga, Iredale and Thomasson ahead of others if his hand wasn't forced. 

I honestly think the reinvention of Morley as the deep lying playmaker has been one of the biggest factors

MJ Williams has served us well but he lacks the passing range and the energy our other midfielders have

The new disciplined Morley dropping deep (and still covering a lot of ground) gives us a really nice balance in midfield, with Dempsey and Lee or Dempsey and Shoretire pressing high up the pitch

5 minutes ago, desperado said:

Evatt reintroducing Santos and Jones when he did, when there was a large section who said the side should remain as it was.

Both of them have been fantastic and their leadership influence is becoming more obvious week by week. 

I agree, they haven't put a foot wrong and their goals have been a huge bonus.  But they were part of the team losing at Cheltenham, FGR etc so there must be other factors.  In no order I would say the introductions of Toal, Morley, Shoretire and John, plus Dempsey's clear improvement and Charles finally getting some goals from open play.  Throw in some penalties, and most opposition being fairly dire in recent weeks, and its been a perfect storm.  It may last, nobody knows, let's just enjoy the journey no matter where it ends.