Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Morecambe away

bwfc2003

2 minutes ago, tomski said:

To go upfront for first 10?

Does Kachunga go up front; not sure where he was supposed to be playing yesterday?

We limited up front with injuries but Dan could have come on and Lee as number 10. We might have got three points then.

Kachunga has done very little since he arrived IMO

3 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Does Kachunga go up front; not sure where he was supposed to be playing yesterday?

We limited up front with injuries but Dan could have come on and Lee as number 10. We might have got three points then.

Kachunga has done very little since he arrived IMO

He did when he came on, moved back on the next sub in to midfield.

We wouldn’t of scored if Haaland had come on.

No issue anyone being called out as the performance was rubbish but it’s always Kachunga and as a sub I could think of plenty to dig out well ahead of him yesterday. I’m sure I’ll be asked so

Everyone who started except Charles or Traf. Perhaps throw Mbete in that too 

Edited by tomski

31 minutes ago, tomski said:

He did when he came on, moved back on the next sub in to midfield.

We wouldn’t of scored if Haaland had come on.

No issue anyone being called out as the performance was rubbish but it’s always Kachunga and as a sub I could think of plenty to dig out well ahead of him yesterday. I’m sure I’ll be asked so

Everyone who started except Charles or Traf. Perhaps throw Mbete in that too 

Agree with the three as I thought Mbete had an excellent game. Bradley got marked out the game and we seem to keep these stupid tactics of trying to play out from the back and it isn’t working with a high press against us. Shola has talent but was a waste yesterday

Edited by RUREADY2ROLL

10 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

For a short time it seemed possible.Rioch's 3rd Division team won 14 of their last 17  to finish second, Evatt's needed to win 13 of their last 16.

As it turned out Evatt's signings weren't as good and they weren't as well managed...being tired in league matches due to targetting the Freight Rover ffs

Also will people stop saying the play offs are a lottery where each team has an equal chance of winning.They definitely aren't that.

I agree they aren't a lottery, you need to be a good team to play 3 games against "top" sides and realistically win 2 of the 3 and probably draw the other.  And home advantage in only 1 of the 3.  But where it can go against form is what happened to MK Dons last season.  Missed automatics by a whisker despite winning 5-0 on last day, then can't raise themselves for the play offs against the 6th best team.  Our best hope might be finishing 6th and hoping the 3rd place team have blown it on the last day.

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Just unfortunate our strikers are injured otherwise he doesn’t get a sniff 

We did have 4 strikers all season if we include Dapo, and Kachunga still started most games and came on as sub if not starting.  IE rates him, I don't but I'm not being anti-Kacha, just stating facts.  But then again maybe we're overrating the alternatives, hard to see who's obviously better from fit players still at the club, on current form.

Charles was tremendous against their big lumps at the back. Always thought he goes missing and gets bullied out games sometimes but he really mixed it with the best of them yesterday. Which made it all the more disappointing that Dan had all the physicality of a wet lettuce.

Kachunga can certainly play a role coming on in such situations, but he needs balls in to channels rather than receiving the ball at his feet with his back to goal. That would in turn ease the situation where it forever seemed like we were relying on Toal and Mbete to deliver a final ball rather than the wing backs or the midfield three. 

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

I thought Mbete had an excellent game

1 hour ago, tomski said:

throw Mbete in that too 

Another here who thought Mbete played well yesterday. Much more balanced at the back with a left-footed LCB.

Looking forward to George Johnstone being back so we have left footed options there.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Name a player to play instead of him yesterday 

Kieran Lee? 

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, we played crap yesterday and have done the past few games. But as the topic of Kachunga was brought up, I think its more than important to note, in League 1 this season he has had 31 appearances, 1 Goal, 0 Assists.

Now can you see why I say this is a big problem when we are struggling in matches and bring him on to win us a game or even influence? 

When he comes on I sometimes forget he exists, we play him no10 where his movement should be key for us, but his movement is shocking, no chance creation, nothing, just hides away, falls to the floor and looks to the referee.

Edited by Lostock Whites

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Another here who thought Mbete played well yesterday. Much more balanced at the back with a left-footed LCB.

Looking forward to George Johnstone being back so we have left footed options there.

Agree. Think he’s been missed. Though we are not conceding many in his absence.

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

It was obvious early on Morecambe were going to press us high up the pitch. Big Dan should've come on at HT for me and we should have gone a bit longer at times, just change it up a bit

I thought you did OK, hardly gave the ball away and took up some intelligent positions

Charles and Santos superb for us yesterday.

got to be scoring in that 10 mins after half time and then they have  to gamble.

I was annoyed possibly more with the performance, but at 5 o clock given the other results it wasn’t that bad

huge week next week with 3 big fixtures.

mr bobic………..

23 minutes ago, marple whites said:

Charles and Santos superb for us yesterday.

got to be scoring in that 10 mins after half time and then they have  to gamble.

I was annoyed possibly more with the performance, but at 5 o clock given the other results it wasn’t that bad

huge week next week with 3 big fixtures.

mr bobic………..

Take this in the right spirit, just a different take on it.  My feeling is always about how we are playing, have we improved, did I enjoy the game, were we playing to our strengths, did we pick the right team, how are the new signings looking etc.  I've heard a lot of "its OK, everyone else dropped points too".  I'd agree with that with 3 games to go, but during the season I'm only interested in our games.  I don't care one bit how Wycombe or Derby go on.  

When we beat Sunderland 6-0 and Posh 5-0, I didn't come away thinking "well that was shit, Ipswich and Barnsley won".  If we beat Ipswich next week, its a great weekend.  If we lose 1-0 and everyone else loses 4-0, its another poor result and we're on a bad run that needs sorting.  If Derby lose at Oxford I don't expect them to come away thinking "great day, Bolton lost".  I hear fans during the first half telling everyone who'll listen how Wycombe are going on and I'm only interested in how we are playing, I just want us to be the best we can be, other teams become relevant if we're playing them or its the end of April.

For me the Morecambe game presented us with a familiar problem i.e breaking down a packed defence. Two aspects of that stood out - trying to do it with tight intricate passing - which presumably Shola was brought in to do - but it just ended up as overplaying it with not enough shots on target or shots in general for that matter. When we did manage to tippy tap our way through them Shola couldn't beat the goalie. For the most part we just couldn't make it work and the problem was compounded by losing a lot of the second balls.

The other aspect was breaking quick on turnover and getting at them before they had a chance to get their entire team behind the ball but we weren't quick enough in transition to do it )their press was decent) and it often broke down because of bad passing. Plenty to work on, but I just wish we were more willing to shoot.

Morecambe's game play was absolutely perfect to stop us. 

They pressed our kickouts so we couldn't play out from the back. 
Trafford was slow releasing it (think he was probably nervous after pompey mistake)
Tyson Fury lookalike on Charles meant we lost every single long ball
Our 'long throws' were so badly attacked (never beat the first man and we didnt put someone there to flick it on - amateur)

Morecambe fully deserved the point. We always struggle against these types of teams. Our next two games are so important now. Can't lose both of them. 

• The topic was unpinned