Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Memories of The Sherpa Van Final at Wembley in 1989

Ruba Mustafa

Don't remember much about it apart from

supping in The Globe and there were a couple of Arsenal fans the worse for wear trying to come down from winning the league with a few pints.

and I got a Sherpa Van 89 tshirt which I wore at the last Burnden game. I lingered in the Paddock at the bitter end, despite stewards protestations, in order to take one last pic of the old terrace - which by that time had just a few left on it as everyone had been ushered out. This was history in the making as I was still over in my spot close to the away fans' bit. "One last pic" I pleaded with them as I whipped out my crappy old point and click. Did it and then was one of the last knot of fans ever to be on the Paddock.

Retrieving my pics from Boots (younger posters - don't ask!) I hoped that this was history in the making; the scene of so many experiences, good, bad and ugly, would be captured for ever before its demise. After a quick rummage through the prints, I realised to my horror that the combination of euphoria, adrenaline and ale had meant that I'd pointed the crappy camera in the wrong direction - and all I got to finally remember the Paddock and all its glory by, in its dying embers, was a picture of my gut with a Sherpa Van Trophy Final shirt on it. 🙁

• Site Supporter
21 hours ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Don't remember much about it apart from

supping in The Globe and there were a couple of Arsenal fans the worse for wear trying to come down from winning the league with a few pints.

and I got a Sherpa Van 89 tshirt which I wore at the last Burnden game. I lingered in the Paddock at the bitter end, despite stewards protestations, in order to take one last pic of the old terrace - which by that time had just a few left on it as everyone had been ushered out. This was history in the making as I was still over in my spot close to the away fans' bit. "One last pic" I pleaded with them as I whipped out my crappy old point and click. Did it and then was one of the last knot of fans ever to be on the Paddock.

Retrieving my pics from Boots (younger posters - don't ask!) I hoped that this was history in the making; the scene of so many experiences, good, bad and ugly, would be captured for ever before its demise. After a quick rummage through the prints, I realised to my horror that the combination of euphoria, adrenaline and ale had meant that I'd pointed the crappy camera in the wrong direction - and all I got to finally remember the Paddock and all its glory by, in its dying embers, was a picture of my gut with a Sherpa Van Trophy Final shirt on it. 🙁

Been supping heavily by any chance? 😊

I was only 6 when the game was played so no memory of it being a thing but I've got one of the club ties from the fixture on my tie hanger, my mate found it in a box of assorted footy memorabilia he picked up at a charity shop.

Wore it to Grampa Spencer's funeral, not sure I'll ever wear it again