Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheffield Wednesday Friday

Marc505

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

You

right

are an absolute fucking cock

I mean this in all good faith, but fuck off and “support” some team worthy of your joyless, spineless dogshit.

Honestly, it’s fucking exhausting having to read the dreary wank you constantly splurt all over these pages.

fuck off, there’s a good lad

There really is no need for that abuse.

Excellent point considering the early goal. Battled back, grew into the game and finished much the better side. Still not convinced that it was a pen, but you do see them given. Ref wasn't giving Charles anything all night, mind.

Well done to everyone who went, came across as loud as ever. 

Roll on Wembley!

1 hour ago, barrycowdrill said:

Jones right and Toal left made a big difference 

It did - and I reckon that line up as a whole made a big difference. Although not everyone was at their best, having our more mature/experienced squad members on the pitch at the same time looked far more competitive than we have looked recently - I reckon they'd have coped much better against Ipswich.

Noticeable that before the game Evatt made a speech about the young players having the opportunity to develop in a promotion challenge - and promptly dropped them all for this game bar Bradley - so I presume he'd had a word with them in advance.

Not sure how long he'll persist with that starting eleven/line up but I'd like to see something like it more often from here on in.

That was a really solid performance.  I feared for the worse when they took the lead but we rode our luck for 20mins and played ourselves back in the game.  I liked our balance in the second half.  My only grumble is our goal kicks, wtf? I know its possession but just put your laces through it! 

7 minutes ago, LodgeMorrWhite said:

That was a really solid performance.  I feared for the worse when they took the lead but we rode our luck for 20mins and played ourselves back in the game.  I liked our balance in the second half.  My only grumble is our goal kicks, wtf? I know its possession but just put your laces through it! 

A couple of times we got caught trying to play out and ended up giving away possession in our own half - so frustrating. Evatt mentioned this the other week and I understand he wants the defenders to draw the other team out, but it's so risky, requires excellent control to execute it perfectly and gives everyone kittens.

That said, it did work on occasions especially the long cross field balls that Santos made when the spaces opened up.

Have to say again he was superb tonight.

Just back & very happy. Sheffield shaded the 1st half & our goal seemed to come from nowhere,but 2nd half, we played some lovely football( by sticking to our passing game & not booting it forward ) & i thought we were the better team .

I'm not his biggest fan but Sheehan had one of his best games for us, justified his selection ahead of Morley & i thought , retained possession & passed the ball better than Bannan, both Jerome & Shortire were good, lively subs, Trafford, Toal, Jones & Santos all did well in defence.

MOTM....Santos, outstanding in defence & some lovely distribution.

The post match reaction from the vast majority of SWFC fans has been that they rated us, respect us and are happy to get a point. They gave some honest assessments of the game and in particular praised the class of their former player Kieran Lee. Fair play to them.

Great to see us perform like that against one of those top three or four sides and especially away. I have to admit when we conceded early on I'd have amazed if you'd told me we'd get a point. 

Perfect final performance to have before Wembley. Lets sit back and watch how the likes of Wycombe and Peterborough get on this afternoon.

Was a Plymouth (a) type performance but we didn’t create as much and made no mistakes 

Weds don’t concede many at all and I think they were shocked we scored at all let alone pinch a 2nd 

just goes to show our destiny is all about us. Play like that more often and there wouldn’t be many who could deal with us. When we do get beat (aside from probably last sat) I always feels it’s more to do with what our performance level was like rather than how good the opposition was 

6 hours ago, bolton va va said:

Just back & very happy. Sheffield shaded the 1st half & our goal seemed to come from nowhere,but 2nd half, we played some lovely football( by sticking to our passing game & not booting it forward ) & i thought we were the better team .

I'm not his biggest fan but Sheehan had one of his best games for us, justified his selection ahead of Morley & i thought , retained possession & passed the ball better than Bannan, both Jerome & Shortire were good, lively subs, Trafford, Toal, Jones & Santos all did well in defence.

MOTM....Santos, outstanding in defence & some lovely distribution.

Can’t disagree with any of that va va but my man of the match was Evatt. He picked exactly the right starting eleven and made exactly the right substitutions at the right time. He’s had some stick recently for selections, especially Ipswich but got it bang on tonight and every player turned up for him. Absolutely terrific performance just a shame we didn’t nick it.

12 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Can’t disagree with any of that va va but my man of the match was Evatt. He picked exactly the right starting eleven and made exactly the right substitutions at the right time. He’s had some stick recently for selections, especially Ipswich but got it bang on tonight and every player turned up for him. Absolutely terrific performance just a shame we didn’t nick it.

👍

I was really worried by the team selected, Dempsey left with helluva lot to do alongside Lee and Sheehan, first half looking ominous. 
Did not understand watching live how our goal went in and still not 100%  after watching highlights.

After the goal we were excellent all over the pitch so the selection worked out brilliantly. Santos MOTM for me. 
How anyone slags off Kacha for his cameo is pretty pathetic and is a totally blinkered view. 
The pen was right in front of us and seemed obvious, not sure why the lad dived in but he did and took out Charles.

Sheffield us a great place for a few beers before game , took a while to get away but back in Leeds for half eleven. 

We were abysmal for 15 minutes and the game could have got away from us, confidence looked shot, couldn't hold onto the ball and feared it was going to be a long night. 

But we started to get a grip slowly, scored the equaliser and then bar for a few moments in the 2nd half controlled the game.

Trafford made some good saves early and caught everything coming into the box, also his delivery out was improved over recent games, unlucky with the deflection for their goal which took it over him.

Santos was a mountain, although not sure why Vic was left marking someone on corners, and for their goal.

Lee was sublime, he is such a clever and composed footballer. 

Sheehan was fantastic,  in the deeper role he has more time and space to pick his pass. He doesn't have the strength to play further up where it is more congested. But showed his ability last night.

Vic and Charles still haven't worked each other out, thought Vic for most looked the brighter of the two. Good cameo from Jerome and nearly scored an absolute stunner. 

Jones has to play on the right.

Dempsey probably most dissapointing of the starting 11. Shoretire also more dissapointing sub, gave the ball away and was lazy, had a great run but picked the wrong pass or played it too late. Kacha was fine when he came on, plays back to goal and was picking some good passes to link play, he also wasn't falling on his backside every 5 seconds.

Penalty not sure, real time 100%, replay no chance, but evatts comments suggest they agreed it was.

Overall a good night, confidence boosting performance and showed what we can do. Although still created to little for me, but hopefully that will come and Wednesday do have a mean defence.

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

The pen was right in front of us and seemed obvious, not sure why the lad dived in but he did and took out Charles.

Not sure why Charles delayed the chance of striking either. Can only think it’s because it was on his weaker side and he seems to do it a lot. Just get your shot away, you’re 6 yards out. Don’t leave the decision to the ref just stick it in the net even with your swinger. 

I know Sheehan has received some plaudits but aside from a game or 2 in the early part of L2 that was his best game my a million miles. Said before he’s technically gifted and he can receive a pass, keep it and has very good vision. Played progressively last night rather than Morley who’s generally a bit more conservative when he gets the ball facing his own goal. To be the best midfielder when you’re up against arguably the leagues best speaks volumes. 

there’s a lot of chat about weds not being at their best. They had 2 important players out but I think it was more about us now allowing them to be. Our possession really took the sting out of them 

5 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Not sure why Charles delayed the chance of striking either. Can only think it’s because it was on his weaker side and he seems to do it a lot. Just get your shot away, you’re 6 yards out. Don’t leave the decision to the ref just stick it in the net even with your swinger. 

I agree with the sentiment but it does not alter the fact he was fouled, even if he delays the shot to draw a foul it is still a penalty.