Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheffield Wednesday Friday

Marc505

7 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Just seen a close up of the penalty incident on Twitter. As Flint goes down, he catches the back of Charles right heel. On that viewing, def penalty but can see why the ref didn’t see it

When the CB is saying it’s 100% a pen. It’s a pen. The ref so so far behind he couldn’t see the contact. Maybe if the Lino was that side he would’ve but wouldn’t hold my breath. At the other end with the crowd influence he’d of given it 

referees do seem to get influenced by the crowd. Not because they’re particularly weak but because you can see them thinking “if they all think it is I must’ve missed it and it must be” you can see it in the delay of decisions being made 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, desperado said:

Good post.

I echo the praise on all mentioned.

Especially Evatt.

Selecting Sheehan was brave and it worked.

And sticking to his philosophy playing from the back was key yesterday. I was talking to @MickyD and @marple whites at HT yesterday - keeping hold of the ball, and that Includes sideways, backwards and (sometimes) short from the goal kicks, got us back into the game yesterday. 

The easiest thing to do yesterday at 1-0 with their backs against the wall would have been to stop receiving in tight areas and play the percentages.

Keeping hold of the ball they grew in confidence and into the game.

It’s a great way to sign off before Wembley. I feel really positive now for the big day and more importantly what happens next at Exeter and the run-in

Que sera sera, put the Champagne on ice, we’re going to Wembley twice, Que sera sera 

Trafford had a great game last night too. Caught pretty much everything.

15 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Just seen a close up of the penalty incident on Twitter. As Flint goes down, he catches the back of Charles right heel. On that viewing, def penalty but can see why the ref didn’t see it

Thats what i seen on Tv not a push he Caught his Heel 

Came away from the ground last night buzzing with a point.  On reflection this morning I can't help feeling it was a missed opportunity. 

Not wishing to sound negative but we've got to find a way to turn possession and dominance into tangible chances.  It's not a new issue, I came away from Hillsborough 16 months ago feeling the same, but it's the difference between being a good footballing team and a promotion winning one.

26 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Came away from the ground last night buzzing with a point.  On reflection this morning I can't help feeling it was a missed opportunity. 

Not wishing to sound negative but we've got to find a way to turn possession and dominance into tangible chances.  It's not a new issue, I came away from Hillsborough 16 months ago feeling the same, but it's the difference between being a good footballing team and a promotion winning one.

I sit somewhere the same but more missed op last night to good point today. We played well and at the time I was frustrated Charles didn’t take the shot but looking again that’s a pen.

Other good thing was I’ve a mate who I saw at the match yesterday who’s a Man City fan but I’m pleased to report his son has seen a better choice. Fair play considering the options he had. 

16 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

We deserved to win that, for a team 15 points ahead of us and heading to win the the title, they were shite.

Their best hope was get their 7ft centre back up in the box on every throw in.

But still, away from home at top of the league, great point. Hopefully will give the lads a load of confidence knowing we can more than match anybody.

Onto Wembley!

First 20 minutes they were the best side I've seen by a mile this season.  As iffy as we were at that stage, everyone around us was commenting on how every single pass or cross they put in was on the money to a player, hit with purpose, pace and direction. And on top of that they had Bannan running the show, who didn't put a pass astray till injury time, what a player.  But we nullified them with our play for the last hour or so, and yes Sheff Wed dropped their levels.   Could easily see why they will go up, but a great performance by us overall, with the only downside being corners and inability to shoot or cross early.  Santos take a bow, a rolls royce of a performance.  

A very enjoyable night and great atmosphere in our end.

2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Thought our dominating possession was quite refreshing - Evatt said in the pre match presser that he felt we'd come away from that a bit and have become a bit too transitional and second half especially we passed the ball around with much more control than the last few games. Good to see. Could have gone either way yesterday so I'm satisfied with the result

4 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Thought similar to be honest. Could have cut back once the defender went down and played Shoretire in for the tap in.

18 hours ago, gonzo said:

How can your first take from that tonight be about Kachunga?

Thought he added a bit of energy to a totally bollocksed front line. Fuck me give the lad a break ffs.

We looked back to ourselves tonight. Just wish wed stop that silly 6 yard line routine from goalkicks. Didnt do us any harm, just looks shit and annoys the hell out me.

All good though, Kieron Lee was superb. Toal and Santos superb. 

Toals quick ball to get Charles away for the penalty call just shows how good we can be with one direct pass. Just wish we did it more.

Great point and bodes well.

Agree, thought he did OK, looked lively and had a few good touches.  We all know he's not going to be scoring league goals, but take that away and he looked as much a part of the team as any of the other forward/midfield players.

17 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Jerome's experience was important late on

His strength stands out a mile.  We are better with him on the pitch.  I'll be disappointed if he doesn't start at Wembley with some players cup tied, but I expect Kachunga to start.  We look so weak up front with Kacha and Charles and when we get a corner knowing Jerome is in the middle it feels like we have a fighting chance (it would help if Sheehan could get a corner to reach the pen spot though).

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

His strength stands out a mile.  We are better with him on the pitch.  I'll be disappointed if he doesn't start at Wembley with some players cup tied, but I expect Kachunga to start.  We look so weak up front with Kacha and Charles and when we get a corner knowing Jerome is in the middle it feels like we have a fighting chance (it would help if Sheehan could get a corner to reach the pen spot though).

Was thinking just this. Jerome to start, and hopefully bully their centre halves a bit.

Kachunga to do a semi final job later on.

Suspect he will start with Kachunga though.

9 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Was a Plymouth (a) type performance but we didn’t create as much and made no mistakes 

Weds don’t concede many at all and I think they were shocked we scored at all let alone pinch a 2nd 

just goes to show our destiny is all about us. Play like that more often and there wouldn’t be many who could deal with us. When we do get beat (aside from probably last sat) I always feels it’s more to do with what our performance level was like rather than how good the opposition was 

I'm as happy as everyone about last night, and thoroughly enjoyed a good game, but the reason most teams can deal with us was shown again last night - loads of possession, never looked like scoring.  We don't shoot, so we are easy to deal with generally speaking.  Its just hard to see us scoring many from open play currently.  

The general play was a pleasure to watch if we weren't concerned about scoring.

Just about back in the land of the living. Ended up walking 2 miles across Sheffield at 3am only to find I’d put the wrong hotel in my maps 🙈

Draw a fair result. Thought we got a bit battered first half but we were comfortably the better side second half. Nailed on penalty for the challenge on Charles as far as I was concerned. Trafford looked very safe and I quite liked Shoretire’s cameo. 

3 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Excellent backing last night by the way.  Wanderers in good voice and I heard an unfamiliar song

"We've got super Ian Evatt..."

Anyone know the rest of the lyrics? 

We’ve got super Ian Evatt, he knows exactly what we need; Rico at the back, Dion in attack, we’re gonna win the Football League

(not 100% on the last line)

Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

We’ve got super Ian Evatt, he knows exactly what we need; Rico at the back, Dion in attack, we’re gonna win the Football League

Cheers! I'm holding you responsible if I join in next time and get funny looks! 

The minutes applause for Don Megson was well observed, despite who is son was, but why on earth were some of our lot booing them young lasses with the 'Her game too' banner?

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Cheers! I'm holding you responsible if I join in next time and get funny looks! 

The minutes applause for Don Megson was well observed, despite who is son was, but why on earth were some of our lot booing them young lasses with the 'Her game too' banner?

Because we have more than our fair share of cocks in our support.

At Morecambe there was a kids dance-troupe doing a routine in front of their fans.

Some Bolton fans started, “What the fuck? What the fuck? What the fucking hell is that?”

They were about 8 years old for fuck’s sake!

35 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Because we have more than our fair share of cocks in our support.

At Morecambe there was a kids dance-troupe doing a routine in front of their fans.

Some Bolton fans started, “What the fuck? What the fuck? What the fucking hell is that?”

They were about 8 years old for fuck’s sake!

Aye, every club has them. Still shocked me though!

I did laugh at a daft confrontation between a bloke and a woman on the way out last night

"Don't call me a slag ya 4 foot nonce!"

😂 

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

"Bolton's going up the Football League"

10 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Oh he saw it alright, he just chose not to give it for whatever reason.

I don’t think he’s DC’s biggest fan somehow.

12 hours ago, MickyD said:

Was just about to say, apart from the pen, we mustn’t have had many highlights.

I'm struggling to recall anything that would appear in the highlights.  We would put 5 or 6 passes together, get it wide, fail to get cross in, or maybe get a corner from a blocked cross.  The corner wouldn't cause them any difficulty.  We did have a couple of half decent balls across the box without really threatening. 

We were the better team and it was good to watch, but Sheff Wed had a lot of shots/headers either on or near target, Trafford had plenty to do, whereas we tended to pass it rather than shoot.  That's the way we play, neat passing moves don't make the highlights.

• The topic was unpinned
  • 2 weeks later...
On 17/03/2023 at 22:59, Spider said:

You

right

are an absolute fucking cock

I mean this in all good faith, but fuck off and “support” some team worthy of your joyless, spineless dogshit.

Honestly, it’s fucking exhausting having to read the dreary wank you constantly splurt all over these pages.

fuck off, there’s a good lad

The truth hurts, eh" cock"