Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Energy meter

globaldiver

10 hours ago, globaldiver said:

Asked a while ago, but EDF are pestering. 

Do I need a meter?

I have the latest one via octopus.energy, its hidden so I can't watch it going up.

Moving to my dad's old house soon, eon been in touch about putting the account in my name and mentioned the smart meter ain't working, I said that's fine 😗

Andrew has been in touch, retirement plan 🤫 

15 minutes ago, C86 said:

I have the latest one via octopus.energy, its hidden so I can't watch it going up.

Moving to my dad's old house soon, eon been in touch about putting the account in my name and mentioned the smart meter ain't working, I said that's fine 😗

Andrew has been in touch, retirement plan 🤫 

Morning! Hope all is well.

1 hour ago, globaldiver said:

Morning! Hope all is well.

Condidering what's happened in the last three months, ok, I'll get in touch soon for a brew 👍

Edited by C86

• Site Supporter

When I was forced to move to Eon due to my previous supplier’s inability to make enough money from extortion; or maybe it was all a plan to reduce the number of suppliers , who knows, anyway, they started mithering me to get a smart meter. I don’t want one and I’m happy to give them the current meter readings on a monthly basis. I’m also happy to invite a meter-reader in on occasion to check up on me. 
Last time they phoned I explained I didn’t want one and was unlikely to want one in the future. She (the person trying to get me a smart meter, no idea HBHTA, I felt uncomfortable asking) said she’d take my number off the system for 12 months and in 12 months time when they contact me they’ll take it off for a further 12 months.

My reasoning? My mum has one and it’s just scare tactics. You put the kettle on and the way the meter spikes you’d think you’d switched on the stadium floodlights.

11 minutes ago, MickyD said:

My mum has one and it’s just scare tactics. You put the kettle on and the way the meter spikes you’d think you’d switched on the stadium floodlights.

See. that doesn't make sense to me.  Shirley they WANT you to use as much leccy as possible?

If you put on the keckle, the clothes washer, or whatever, it IS going to make your energy usage spike.

TBH, I'd happily have one, but EON have been out twice to fit one and have made up some technical excuse and left without doing it both times.  I don't understand why anyone thinks there's anything sinister behind it.  What am I missing?

Edited by DazBob

Just now, DazBob said:

I don't understand why everyone thinks there's anything sinister behind it.  What am I missing?

Same, but I have one reason why I'm anti-smart meters.

Just like self-service checkouts etc, they're doing people out of jobs.

9 minutes ago, DazBob said:

... and that's fair enough.

Self-service checkouts, smart meters etc you're doing folk out of jobs, but not getting any discount in return

What next?
Trains where you can't buy a ticket at the station from a human and then the only member of staff on the train is the actual driver?

Wait, no, sorry, nobody would propose something so ridiculous.

PS apologies for politicising the thread, but it's actually relevant for once.

Edited by Traf

• Site Supporter

Smart meters make no difference to your consumption. 

Just allows the companies to charge you for what you've used, and negates the need for estimation. Real time viewing imof usage can be of benefit if you're interested in looking into managing your usage better. 

Some reckon it will allow companies to capture more accurate usage data which they may use to increase billing, but I don't see it.

Iirc the national grid had to pay windfarm based generators around £180m in November alone to turn off their turbines as there was too much production and the network couldn’t cope. Cheaper to turn them off than fossil fuel generators. That inevitably adds cost, so for me, being able to more closely understand need, the better.

25 minutes ago, Traf said:

Self-service checkouts, smart meters etc you're doing folk out of jobs, but not getting any discount in return

What next?
Trains where you can't buy a ticket at the station from a human and then the only member of staff on the train is the actual driver?

Wait, no, sorry, nobody would propose something so ridiculous.

PS apologies for politicising the thread, but it's actually relevant for once.

Sadly Traf, everything today is about “efficiency” code for let’s get rid of humans. I’m as sad about that as you are but I’m afraid it’s the way of the world and we just have to accept it. 🥴

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

if you're interested in looking into managing your usage better. 

And if you aren’t?

If it’s dark I switch a light on. If my clothes need washing I put the washing machine on. If I fancy a brew I put the kekkle on.

Here’s a gas consumption related thing though:

If you’re using a combi-boiler, there are two heat exchangers, heating and hot water but only one set of gas burners. Am I right in thinking that it will make sense to shower when your central heating is on due to the fact the gas heating your radiators would also be heating your shower? (I’m not suggesting only showering when the heating is on)

FA793162-D309-4F76-B280-42E87DD43926.png

Edited by MickyD
Wrong diagram attached

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Smart meters make no difference to your consumption. 

Correct, it's not in reality, going to change the way that you live your life.

If you listen to some folk, they'll suggest you should do everything you can to avoid getting one....I'm not sure why some people are so against them. I've got one, I only looked at the display for about 2 days, then just unplugged it and lobbed it in the draw. The actual "smart meter" just as far as I'm concerned reports my usage to Shell Energy every hour or so, which means I don't have the bother of having to read my own meter(s)

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Traf said:

Same, but I have one reason why I'm anti-smart meters.

Just like self-service checkouts etc, they're doing people out of jobs.

not these days though

do folk still employ people to read meters?

the only person who's ever read the meter in our house is me, and then the other submitted the numbers online

so far as I can see, it gives me one less thing to do

I don't get @Spider's "under no circumstances" stance?

other than being a faff to get them set up and working (on their part), I'm not sure what the issue is once they are up, running, and doing their job

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Traf said:

There are still some meter readers, but the point remains, that we're doing their jobs and not getting any reward for it.

The reward is not having to pay folk to read them. Therefore bills will be that little bit cheaper.

Add that to a potential in reducing payments for non-production and it's a win-win.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

The reward is not having to pay folk to read them. Therefore bills will be that little bit cheaper.

Add that to a potential in reducing payments for non-production and it's a win-win.

But bills aren’t a little cheaper since the demise of meter readers.

Talking of meter readers, my grandad was a gas-meter reader so had the master key to all the coin operated meters in Bolton. His own meter never had a lock on it and he’d put the same shilling through three or four times. He was always good for a couple of bob when we visited too. Happy days.

Edited by MickyD
Change spelling.

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, Traf said:

There are still some meter readers, but the point remains, that we're doing their jobs and not getting any reward for it.

not if you have a smart meter

they send a guy to install it, then you don't have to do anything, or anyones job

as for self checkouts

checkout operators instead now stand and watch waiting for the inevitable fuckwits who can't figure out what to do with them

I'd say they are busier than ever with that in mind