Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ipswich Home

Ani

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s a fair assessment, I like Evatt but he’s been diabolical for quite a while now. 

Dear me.

I believe he was mistaken in his selection, and has made a couple I didn't agree with recently, but I'd hardly call that diabolical. 

We've had and have injuries, players fatigued and he must see something in training. 

Now clearly its on the pitch that counts, and surely he now has to end the Shoretire experiment (bench him) but, as above, diabolical is way over stating things.

9 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

And getting rid of Dapo, easily our most influential player, replacing him with an 18 year old whose never played mens football and using the 500k to get Adobeyejo ? 

Dapo is hardly tearing up trees at St Pauli TBF and he was never "our most influential player" even though we all loved watching his style of running with the ball. Shoretire wasn't a direct replacement for Dapo either.

In fact Victor has better stats than Dapo.

Both have played 7 games and scored 1 goal for their new clubs but Victor has 2 assists to Dapo's 1 - and less bookings FWIW.

11 hours ago, ianofcleveleys said:

The walking football was a nonsense today, again, we invited them to play the game in our half, they took advantage. Had at least 8 goal kicks first half and broke the press once, immediately giving it away when we did. 

With the back 3 of Johnston, Aimson and Toal, not only did we defend robustly and solidly, we got on with it from goal kicks and keeper possession, moving it forward with a bit of urgency and purpose. 

No way that Lee should be left out in big games, we're really short of nouse and need his a lot. 

The Jan window trick hasn't worked this time, unfortunately, collectively they have added zero to what we had. If anything, with Aimson and Dapo gone, we are weaker and the momentum we're used to from Feb onwards has dried up this time. 

We are too lightweight, too soft and too one-dimensional to get out of a division like L1. We hardly won a tackle all day, sometimes you have to put your foot through the ball and clean an opponent out rather than keep trying to nick it. Sometimes you have to shithouse your way to a win. We struggle to do either. Much as it's against Evatt's principles, laudable as they are, we need a few more signings next window whose stats and profiles major heavily on blocks, clearances, tackles made and duels won 

Good assessment.

2 hours ago, tomski said:

Well summarised. Can’t argue anything on that.

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

We simply aren't ready for the championship - Ipswich are as they've signed a number from that level.

If we can't afford to do the same in summer then we get used to where we are

Spot on 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Wanderlust said:

Dapo is hardly tearing up trees at St Pauli TBF and he was never "our most influential player" even though we all loved watching his style of running with the ball. Shoretire wasn't a direct replacement for Dapo either.

In fact Victor has better stats than Dapo.

Both have played 7 games and scored 1 goal for their new clubs but Victor has 2 assists to Dapo's 1 - and less bookings FWIW.

You say he was NEVER our most influential player; I disagree, he was, on occasion. It’s just that he wasn’t influential often enough. We’d seen he was a great influence but our expectations were often denied by him not putting a shift in.

17 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Said it before and it was evident again yesterday, any side that presses us and gets about us are in for a field day. 

the composure from our back line inc Trafford when they get pressed is bordering on shambolic. It all looks composed and lovely when a team backs off and allows you to do it. But teams have cottoned on now. Worked a treat for Ipswich yesterday and to a lesser extent it worked for Vale and Cheltenham. 

how they got out from the back yesterday v’s us was night and day. Whilst I rate Morley everyone he received off Trafford he had no other option than to go to santos as he was squared up when getting the ball. Whereas Morsy for them could get out at will. Little things like being on the half turn. Mix of ability and experience is the difference 

suppose that’s what spending £2m allows you to get. They looked a big, athletic solid side right across the park. 

concern for me is only 3 of these sides better than us will go up. A couple will still be lingering around next year with no doubt improvements from Peterborough etc. we’ve had 2 very similar seasons, getting nothing off the teams above us and losing games we shouldn’t. Granted there have been fewer of those this year but as it stands and until this side matures and evolves further that trend will continue and we will float around where we currently are

Can’t argue with this 

4 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Dapo is hardly tearing up trees at St Pauli TBF and he was never "our most influential player" even though we all loved watching his style of running with the ball. Shoretire wasn't a direct replacement for Dapo 

7 games 7 wins 3 assists and a goal.  He ain't doing badly tbf! 

Lot have written off this season with the comments above. We have been dire since MK and like many has said pissing about at the back and not having a solution when teams press high are major issues. For me too many players are having mares such as Toil who looked quality a month ago.

we need to get our passing back to where it was and IE has to drop Shoretire and playing people out of position such as Jones at LWB. I don’t think it’s over yet and we can go on another good run, get in the playoffs and then who knows what a confident Bolton team can achieve 

17 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Dear me.

I believe he was mistaken in his selection, and has made a couple I didn't agree with recently, but I'd hardly call that diabolical. 

We've had and have injuries, players fatigued and he must see something in training. 

Now clearly its on the pitch that counts, and surely he now has to end the Shoretire experiment (bench him) but, as above, diabolical is way over stating things.

Possibly, let’s just say he’s not been very good for 4-5 games, lots of poor decisions, but yes he’s not had best of luck with injuries which hasn’t helped. 

2 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

We simply aren't ready for the championship - Ipswich are as they've signed a number from that level.

If we can't afford to do the same in summer then we get used to where we are

We're exactly where I expected us to be with this squad i.e. in and around the playoffs but some happy clappers are unrealistic in their assessment of our capabilities. That said I still HOPE we somehow get promoted - the playoffs being effectively a cup tie - and that if we do, Shazza et al have a plan in place to bring in the substantial investment we'd need, but achieving promotion is very much a long shot. Hoping for something is very different from realistic assessment though and if we're in this division next season it would be no more than I realistically expect.

It's understandable that given our financial history that we haven't broken the bank to get promoted unlike some squads, and if somehow we can squeak over the line we'll be a far more attractive proposition for new investment - and TBF I think Evatt's having a decent punt at achieving that. And if we don't we're more likely to remain on an even financial keel.

Makes sense to me anyway.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Arrested development said:

Dapo wanted to go. You can't keep an unhappy player. Shoretire is young you can't expect him to be top class every week. The whole team is going through a bad patch, it happens. People need to be patient ,  we will be reet. 

9 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

It’s shite tactics and keeping playing Shiretire ahead of Lee that are reasons we are going through a bad patch. Jones LWB is ridiculous. IE needs to give his head a wobble and get us back on track. I believe he will and we will sneak into the playoffs but only just. Once we get the chance it’s 4-1 on winning the playoffs 

Both right for me.

Still think the Wembley visit is looming large in the minds of some of them.

I posted about this prospect before the semi, and for me, it has happened to a certain degree.

14 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

7 games 7 wins 3 assists and a goal.  He ain't doing badly tbf! 

That's 1 goal, 1 assist and 2 bookings in 7 games according to Transfermarkt and others.

Which is shit TBH. Mind you Victor is doing only slightly better.

2 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

I also thought the final would be a distraction and I don’t know what game IE watched yesterday but it wasn’t the game I witnessed. 

I try to ignore the press releases and interviews - especially our guy that always asks the same "set up" questions.

It's all spin and PR which is fine - as long as he is saying the right things to the players behind closed doors which is the thing that really matters.

• Site Supporter

I’m still searching for positives from yesterday and I’ve still not found any!! 😂

Looking ahead to the short/long term picture, getting that left side of defence sorted is a priority - getting Johnstone back will be massive.

I agree that the hard nosed reality of our situation is that we aren’t currently as good as the top sides in this league. 

The only crumb of positivity I’ll offer going forward is that I’m not as disgraced, upset and diabolically angered as others, as I still think there’s plenty to play for and we can come back from this.

And while our squad might not be as experienced and consistent as the others above us, after Sheff W, we play sides below us, all potentially winnable games.

We sneak up into the play-offs and while I’d certainly consider us underdogs against the likes of Barnsley/Derby/Ipswich/Plymouth, by that time a bit of confidence, injured players back in and some combinations across the park that have had time to build and nurture, then you just never know.

1 minute ago, Rizlar said:

I also thought the final would be a distraction and I don’t know what game IE watched yesterday but it wasn’t the game I witnessed. 

IE isn’t daft and he must know that his selections and tactics have been crap recently. He will be disappointed also with the window signings. He can’t slate his players or his decisions openly but hopefully things will change soon and we will get back to the performances like Peterborough and Charlton.

• Site Supporter

In a way it was fine margins- we can pass the ball much better, and had we done so could have won.

Their organisation was better and their press was too, which again we can do.

We could have played out best team with players in the best place too, which we didn't.

Like Dave Brailsford in reverse: lots of small losses making a big one. :)

4 minutes ago, desperado said:

I’m still searching for positives from yesterday and I’ve still not found any!! 😂

Looking ahead to the short/long term picture, getting that left side of defence sorted is a priority - getting Johnstone back will be massive.

I agree that the hard nosed reality of our situation is that we aren’t currently as good as the top sides in this league. 

The only crumb of positivity I’ll offer going forward is that I’m not as disgraced, upset and diabolically angered as others, as I still think there’s plenty to play for and we can come back from this.

And while our squad might not be as experienced and consistent as the others above us, after Sheff W, we play sides below us, all potentially winnable games.

We sneak up into the play-offs and while I’d certainly consider us underdogs against the likes of Barnsley/Derby/Ipswich/Plymouth, by that time a bit of confidence, injured players back in and some combinations across the park that have had time to build and nurture, then you just never know.

That’s as I see it. If IE is the man to take us forward he should get us in the playoffs from this position though. Losing in the playoffs wouldn’t be the end of the world and we could build from that.

1 minute ago, desperado said:

1. Lessons were there for the learning so it was an opportunity to improve our preparation for future games

2. We played really well for 15 minutes at the beginning of the second half

3. Wycombe lost to Burton so they didn't get any closer to overtaking us and we retained our GD and points on the board advantage

4. No red cards or serious injuries

5. Decberto got a rest day

:)

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Wanderlust said:

1. Lessons were there for the learning so it was an opportunity to improve our preparation for future games

2. We played really well for 15 minutes at the beginning of the second half

3. Wycombe lost to Burton so they didn't get any closer to overtaking us and we retained our GD and points on the board advantage

4. No red cards or serious injuries

5. Decberto got a rest day

:)

Cheers that’s made me feel better 👍😂

12 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

That's 1 goal, 1 assist and 2 bookings in 7 games according to Transfermarkt and others.

Which is shit TBH. Mind you Victor is doing only slightly better.

He's gone and no point fretting about it but he offered something no one else did.  The ability to draw defenders in and shooting outside the box.  Those late winners at Accy and Fleetwood wouldn't be scored by many of the current lot.  They'd be too busy looking for a safe, short pass! 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Duck Egg said:

He's gone and no point fretting about it but he offered something no one else did.  The ability to draw defenders in and shooting outside the box.  Those late winners at Accy and Fleetwood wouldn't be scored by many of the current lot.  They'd be too busy looking for a safe, short pass! 

Dempsey will.

Just need some help. Two midfielders is inadequate. 

8 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In a way it was fine margins- we can pass the ball much better, and had we done so could have won.

Their organisation was better and their press was too

They’re tied in to each other though. When we are pressed our passing comes under massive scrutiny and more often than not falls apart. I completely get these are L1 and/or young players developing and part of their development is learning how to receive the ball in tight areas or under pressure, keep it and get out. It currently breaks down all over the shop and the pressure builds. Was a common theme first half and their 1st goal was inevitable 

at no point yesterday or what I can remember v Vale did our midfield have control of the ball and the game. Both sides got about us and we looked outnumbered 

Waking up to this and hearing Evatt blaming supporters for being anxious and feeding that energy off onto the players has really pissed me off.

There were 20k+ yesterday and our support behind this team has been nothing short of exceptional, whether it's 3000 at Derby or 700 away in Portsmouth on a rainy Tuesday night.

Focus more on your teams mentality rather than the supporters, pressure is part of the profession. If they buckle under 20,000, then I seriously am worried about us playing in front of over 70,000 in a Wembley cup final.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

They’re tied in to each other though. When we are pressed our passing comes under massive scrutiny and more often than not falls apart. I completely get these are L1 and/or young players developing and part of their development is learning how to receive the ball in tight areas or under pressure, keep it and get out. It currently breaks down all over the shop and the pressure builds. Was a common theme first half and their 1st goal was inevitable 

at no point yesterday or what I can remember v Vale did our midfield have control of the ball and the game. Both sides got about us and we looked outnumbered 

I made a similar observation yesterday.

But 2 controversial points on this:

1/ The much derided MJ Williams I feel helps in these situations and provides some element of control and calmness in helping us retain possession better - If he comes back fit then he could still have an important part to play.

2/ I don’t think Evatt is going to vary too much on his philosophy, so while some might not like the playing out from the back, getting angry, shouting abuse and bellowing “Just Hoof it upfield” (common claims from the gents behind us in ESL) is really not helpful and mindless.