Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Ipswich Home

Ani

Just now, Steejay said:

And by playing Jones at LWB, the defence was weakened by playing Mbete, who has dropped off dramatically since his first two games.

He needs to tighten it up while Johnston is out and play Toal on the left of Santos and Jones on the right.

Aye I’m not overly impressed with Mbete, sooner johnston is back the better 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Traf said:

PS let's stop picking our team negatively and play to our own strengths and let the opposition worry about it.

that was a bit annoying to hear that our team at home was picked to deal with one of their players rather than on our own game and concentrating than doing what we do best

46 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Both shoretire and Mbete are not ready for Div 1 football, in my opinion.

They were a gamble - I just hope that their parent clubs weren't promised that they'd be guaranteed playing time.

Shoretire might be more focused if he was used as a sub?

• Site Supporter

First things first the left side of defence is a problem, it needs sorting. 

Johnstone coming back into the mix will help massively.

As for John my guess (and it’s definitely no more than that based on what I’ve seen and heard) is that he’s not happy here. Since coming back into the fold and seemingly having a fresh start, he’s done ok, nothing more than that IMO - offers a lot more going forward than he does defensively. 

But he never looks happy. Now that might just be his personality. But I looked at the Accrington celebrations and have picked him out in those build-up/training videos and he’s always on the periphery and rarely Is part of the banter and laughter that you see from the majority of the others.

Now I wouldn’t give a shit or comment about it if he was playing consistently well without these absences. But it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if there’s on going personal/ behind the scenes problems that Evatt is fully aware off and therefore has to offer alternative reasons for his absences.

Like @Trafsays we’ve had plenty there throughout the course of the season and despite Johns deficiencies he’s probably the best we have there.

But if he’s left out again it will only add more fuel to the fire that there’s something going/gone on that we don’t know about.

I live in hope that my theory is bollocks, he plays Friday and plays well offensively and defensively giving Evatt less of a dilemma if indeed he feels he’s lacking in certain areas playing that WB role. 

IE was being diplomatic , probably because we're hoping to palm John off to somebody in the summer . He was dropped because he put in another pisspoor performance at Morecambe, running up the wing once or twice, doing nothing & then not interested in getting back to help in defence.

No problem with Mbete, he's just not ready for 1st team football, but John is a wrongun. He'll be gone in the summer.

21 minutes ago, Traf said:

I Like DJ, but there's got to be something wrong with him. He never stays anywhere for a long spell and has less than 150 league games under his belt in 10 seasons and about half of his games have been for us.

Hes really shit at growing facial hair and hates people with proper beards. 

Gets him in to all kinds of bother.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Lost the plot has IE

Nah he’s not.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with what he did selection wise Saturday on the left side of defence.

But I get he was trying to find a way of getting Jones, with his experience, into that back line. And whether the countering their RWB was genuine or a smokescreen for “Johns issues” is still up for debate as far as I’m concerned.

I might be inclined to agree with you if we see Jones play there again mind, as it’s twice he’s done it now and its not worked. 

The biggest conundrum is whether/how Jones holds a place in that backline. I thought he did ok at LCB 2nd half against Charlton. And that was with John on the left….

Edited by desperado

3 minutes ago, desperado said:

Nah he’s not.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t agree with what he did selection wise Saturday on the left side of defence.

But I get he was trying to find a way of getting Jones, with his experience, into that back line. And whether the countering their RWB was genuine or a smokescreen for “Johns issues” is still up for debate as far as I’m concerned.

I might be inclined to agree with you if we see Jones play there again mind, as it’s twice he’s done it now and its not worked. 

The biggest conundrum is whether/how Jones holds a place in that backline. I thought he did ok at LCB 2nd half against Charlton. And that was with John on the left….

I would play Jones on the right instead of the out of form Toal.  When Jones is on the right, whether CB or RB, he makes loads of good runs forward.  That's completely negated when he's on the left and for me he doesn't justify his place in the team if he's on the left (got to say that's a common thread of IEs reign - "good" players become "bad" when he puts square pegs in round holes).  

Take your pick for the 2 left sided players, use any of the left footed players, or Toal on his wrong side.  Better to get Jones on the right for his attacking as we aren't getting anything going forward from Toal anyway so no loss to put him on the left, he can't be worse than he's playing on the right (no worries about him long term, just out of form).

Come back Johnstone, all is forgiven.

IE needs to sign a LWB next season who is comfortable playing that role as it is crucial to his style of play. DJ never looks interested and looks like he doesn’t give a shit , Iredale is a better LB but not great going forward and Williams ffs what did they see in him to sign him to a contract .

• The topic was unpinned
  • Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

or Toal on his wrong side.

There was a game recently when he did that didn’t he? Think it was Portsmouth away - whichever one it was he looked a fish out of water there, he really didn't look comfortable. 

l was basing Jones being there cause he did look good there with John out wide at Charlton.

But I agree a left footer there favourably, as you say bring back GJ quickly!!

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I don't mind Mbete, still young and has struggled from time to time, but also been decent at others.

Needs a natural left footer outside him firstly, and if we don't dominate possession as much, then it's likely that all defenders will have more to do.

That’s pretty much where I’m at with Mbete.

He’s got something about him and has had a few decent games. I suppose inconsistencies are the norm with these young lads, similarly with Shoretire  - it’s just that in our position now needing to win games and put a good run together, inconsistency is the last thing we need.

If these lads are going to contribute they need the experienced ones around them to be on their game - and in these last few games that hasn’t been the case. 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Was he thr little 25?

22 minutes ago, Cheese said:

No, number 7.

25 was Massimo Luongo.

he was their stand out player for me

right busy little cunt in their midfield

he was also (my) stand out player for Sheff Weds when we played them towards the end of last season

they offered him a new deal, he turned it down and joined Boro

never played for them, and left the club start of Jan, then Ipswich picked him up

was only his 3rd or 4th game for them

sort of midfielder we could make use of

2 hours ago, Zico said:

he was also (my) stand out player for Sheff Weds when we played them towards the end of last season

never played for them, and left the club start of Jan, then Ipswich picked him up

Aye he brilliant and very Barry Bannan-esque.

Exaclty what we need. 

6 hours ago, Zico said:

Only on a deal to the end of the season.

I'd be lieing if I said I noticed him on Saturday, but he's got a great CV, over 200 games for QPR and Sheff Wed, plus 43 games for Australia.