Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheehan

11 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I honestly think Shoretire is a step in front of them a lot of the time. Not too dissimilar to when we had Barry Bannan. I do like how Shoretire has no qualms about receiving the ball facing his own goal and be able to turn and open his body up in one movement. 

Again I don't really disagree, but he might be too good. Sheehan might be more effective by being more of the same level as the rest of the team if that makes any perverse sense.

Sort of in a way that Dapo was one of our best players, but wouldn't necessarily be in our best eleven.

As they say in the other industry I work in : horses for courses.

• Site Supporter

For me, that's precisely where shoretire has struggled. Yes he likes to take the ball and move with it, but the physicality and speed is a step up from what he's used to. Often loses it. 

Yes, quicker movement by team mates may help, but he also needs to have awareness and be willing to knock it off first time and move again. 

He, and they, will learn.

• Site Supporter

Shoretire’s reaction to being subbed at Morecambe was really poor and I’m surprised that nobody else has highlighted it. 

He needs to look at Kieran Lee and learn from an experienced, respected and talented professional.

8 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I honestly think Shoretire is a step in front of them a lot of the time. Not too dissimilar to when we had Barry Bannan. I do like how Shoretire has no qualms about receiving the ball facing his own goal and be able to turn and open his body up in one movement. 

Some of Shoretire's skill in tight situations is absolute class.  Dapo often did similar amazing things in none threatening positions near the halfway line etc, and its great to watch but doesn't necessarily translate to goals and assists, and is never seen in highlights.  Good to watch nevertheless.  Ameobi was similar, superb skill, good to see talented players do stuff on the ball we know we could only dream of.

12 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Shoretire’s reaction to being subbed at Morecambe was really poor and I’m surprised that nobody else has highlighted it. 

He needs to look at Kieran Lee and learn from an experienced, respected and talented professional.

I noticed it; he has been shit since good performances at Charlton and Peterborough and he should be dropped 

17 minutes ago, Steejay said:

There won't be many footballers that wouldn't learn from someone like Kieran Lee, our modern day Gary Speed, but it takes all sorts.  We also celebrate the Diouff, McGinlay and Nolan types, just different personalities.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Steejay said:

I noticed it too. But I changed my mind pretty quickly from thinking it was a bit petulant to more in line with a young, passionate, inexperienced 18 year old who just wants to stay out there playing football - and I’d guess that would be Evatts take.

I actually think today could be his type of game. Ipswich aren’t renowned for their physicality/shithousery. Finding a some space with his back to goal would definitely play to his strengths.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, desperado said:

I noticed it too. But I changed my mind pretty quickly from thinking it was a bit petulant to more in line with a young, passionate, inexperienced 18 year old who just wants to stay out there playing football - and I’d guess that would be Evatts take.

I actually think today could be his type of game. Ipswich aren’t renowned for their physicality/shithousery. Finding a some space with his back to goal would definitely play to his strengths.

He shouldn't have started today, and his performance verified that.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I disagree. I think he'll be out of the club at the next available opportunity. 

Josh Sheehan would not have made a jot of difference today.

Apologies, not Sheehan...

I meant that Shoretire shouldn't have started. Lee should have been in from the off.

Yep, I agree with your assessment of Sheehan.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Apologies, not Sheehan...

I meant that Shoretire shouldn't have started. Lee should have been in from the off.

Yep, I agree with your assessment of Sheehan.😁

I knew what you meant!

You're both right; Lee should have played.

If he can't manage 90 minutes, start with him, try to get ahead and give ourselves something to hold on to. Instead of chasing the game.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Steejay said:

He shouldn't have started today, and his performance verified that.

Well yes, retrospectively I’m probably inclined to agree with you. But I think there was a fair argument for Shoretire starting and Evatt seemingly agreed with that.

He’s not going to get it right 100% of the time and looking back maybe todays one of those days where he didn’t. But we’ll never know if it would have worked out differently with Lee in the side.

Move on to Sheff Wed now, where I’ll probably align with your thinking that Lee should start.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, desperado said:

Well yes, retrospectively I’m probably inclined to agree with you. But I think there was a fair argument for Shoretire starting and Evatt seemingly agreed with that.

He’s not going to get it right 100% of the time and looking back maybe todays one of those days where he didn’t. But we’ll never know if it would have worked out differently with Lee in the side.

Move on to Sheff Wed now, where I’ll probably align with your thinking that Lee should start.

Trouble is, over recent games Shoretire hasn't done anything to suggest he was a better bet than Lee, especially for such a big game.

I'm far from Sheehan's biggest fan, but I'd have been less concerned had he started instead. He at least scored a goal recently!

• 2 months later...

I'm not convinced by Sheehan and never have been. 

That said - I'm usually wrong about pretty much everything to do with football and am looking forward to eating my words in the very near future. 

Probably end up being player of the year next season! 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I'm not convinced by Sheehan and never have been. 

That said - I'm usually wrong about pretty much everything to do with football and am looking forward to eating my words in the very near future. 

Probably end up being player of the year next season! 

Me neither.

Fair play to him though- we'll see who else comes in and see if it helps him.