Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sheehan

5 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

A fit Dempsey is first pick in midfield. Sheehan would also play so it's take your pick for the other spot. 

I like GT in this role further forward, it plays to his strengths that he can chase balls into channels, support strikers when they’re pulled out wide and play early balls into the box. Like you say though, a fit Dempsey and Sheehan are non-negotiable, they start every game and Maghoma based on the first 45 mins yesterday is a better footballer than GT IMO.

It’s still early days for Maghoma, and he’ll have to prove that he’s not the one to be replaced over the next few games whilst Dempsey is out, but just generally I think the balance of the midfield looks better and it will be nice to have the options available!

25 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Let’s not mess about having him play in the holding role, get him in and around the penalty box and let him cause havoc… add some goals and he could be our Alfie May. 

Couldn’t disagree more Mounts. He’s way more effective in that holding role, as he has been for the last 2 games. It means he gets on the ball more and doesn’t rely on anyone else to get it to him, plus he’s by far our most comfortable player receiving the ball under pressure off the defence and getting us up the pitch.

I’d be leaving him exactly where his is and just let him dictate the play.

53 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Let’s not mess about having him play in the holding role, get him in and around the penalty box and let him cause havoc… add some goals and he could be our Alfie May. 

It’s good for us that we could play him in either role imo. He is in really good form.

• Site Supporter

I think describing it as a holding role is somewhat narrow.

It's horses for courses, and allowing him to go where he can be most effective. 

Looking at the highlights, they backed off us early, and him and Santos had all the time in the world to play balls out.

When he's pressed quickly and prevented from that, then playing beyond the press as he did recently in getting on the end of Iredale's long pass showed what he can do at the other end.

It's about flexibility and as Evatt calls for - finding solutions.

Interesting last night hearing about the intention of utilising Paris to play between the lines. Again, another thing for the opposition to think about, that should give Sheehan more space, and more options for our team as a whole.

Credit to Evatt for the plan, and the players to put it into action. 

I was a bit worried when Morley came on and we lost Paris' running and sure enough conceded immediately- though no specific criticism of Morley for that- but in fairness, they picked themselves up and sorted it.

15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Great credit to Sheehan, we ask/hope that players step and improve, and that's exactly what he's done in the last 6 or 8 months.  Credit to IE for sticking with him when most of us weren't too fussed whether he stayed or not.

We’ll be saying the same about Victor and Dan in a few months’ time…😏

21 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Don't rate Dempsey at all. Goes missing way too much.

Didn't see the game last night. I know he scored but how did Maghoma get on. Any good?

Do we have a midfielder or forward that doesn't get accused of "going missing"?  Games where they don't appear to make a positive contribution for 20 minutes.  Sheehan is our best midfielder currently and he definitely gets accused of it especially away.  Every striker does, so too Morley, Tomo both wingbacks, even Bradley last season.  For me its part of being a midfielder, the game can bypass you for large periods.  Dempsey has his faults but keeps as involved as most and is the only one I would trust to stick a foot in and win more than he loses, and still avoid bookings/cheap free kicks.

30 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Did you not watch us play after Xmas last season?

He's been poor for a few weeks, granted. Then again, even the best players in the world might struggle a bit with a broken back.

4 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Did you not watch us play after Xmas last season?

He's been poor for a few weeks, granted. Then again, even the best players in the world might struggle a bit with a broken back.

12 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Do we have a midfielder or forward that doesn't get accused of "going missing"?  Games where they don't appear to make a positive contribution for 20 minutes.  Sheehan is our best midfielder currently and he definitely gets accused of it especially away.  Every striker does, so too Morley, Tomo both wingbacks, even Bradley last season.  For me its part of being a midfielder, the game can bypass you for large periods.  Dempsey has his faults but keeps as involved as most and is the only one I would trust to stick a foot in and win more than he loses, and still avoid bookings/cheap free kicks.

Yeah, set a high standard for himself. He's not shite by any means. Just don't think he's pushed on like I thought he would.

• Site Supporter
53 minutes ago, wanderer1984 said:

Didn't see the game last night. I know he scored but how did Maghoma get on. Any good?

Can't agree there, been great until his injury. 

Frankly, he shouldn't have been playing with this problem.

Thankfully, we've managed well so far without- which possibly confirms that playing a partly fit player isn't as effective as playing a for replacement, even it that replacement isn't viewed as being as good.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

A fit Dempsey is first pick in midfield. Sheehan would also play so it's take your pick for the other spot. 

3 hours ago, Traf said:

This is where I'm at.

I always had Mahogma as a replacement/upgrade on MJ Williams and GT, but every time he's started he's played alongside GT, so not sure if he'd start and GT be dropped