Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

SNP

little whitt

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Traf said:

I didn't know it was a thing, Junior would love that.

Aye, you can often see folk milling about when an interview is conducted inside.

Public gallery too.

https://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/watch-committees-and-debates/debates/

Pick a date when a full house/big debate is going on.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Aye, you can often see folk milling about when an interview is conducted inside.

Public gallery too.

https://www.parliament.uk/visiting/visiting-and-tours/watch-committees-and-debates/debates/

They do book up very very quickly - best to book at least 6 months ahead.

Also have a listen to this - 

Its about how Westminister is totally falling down, needs massive works done but no government will do it because the public won't look kindly on MPs spending money on themselves and it'll mean they will have to move out of there for longer than one term in office and some MPs don't want to give that up if its their only term.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

A lot of work already gone on, but sooner or later they'll need to bite the bullet and upgrade it properly or sell it and move.

Given that London is still sinking and seas rising, then the latter makes more sense, but it would cause many an issue.

Yeah - think that podcast is from 2017.

When you are down in that there London, have you ever walked from Embankment tube to say somerset house? Baffles me why it's not made more of but the enginering to reclaim land back from the Thames and the sewage system created by Bazalgette. Thirty odd acres were reclaimed back from parliment to blackfriars.

So the gardens you can walk through today at embankment were all reclaimed prior to this on the banks of the thames were grand houses that went to the old shoreline - of which somerset house is the only one left. Which fries my noodle when you see how set back it is today.

Anyway, I digress, but its something that we should make more of like they do in other european cities but it's just sort of a hidden bit of London history.

https://portoflondonstudy.wordpress.com/2016/10/31/sir-joseph-bazalgettes-embankments-by-sue-littledale/

27 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Public gallery too.

Thank you, gents.

I wanted to visit parliament & watch a debate or just have a look round  & contacted my MP's (Causby at the time ) office by e-mail several times but got fobbed off every time, booked up, closed, in recess, whatever......gave it up in the end.

I didn't know there was an option of queueing up & taking a chance though, & might try that.,

10 minutes ago, bolton va va said:

I wanted to visit parliament & watch a debate or just have a look round  & contacted my MP's (Causby at the time ) office by e-mail several times but got fobbed off every time, booked up, closed, in recess, whatever......gave it up in the end.

I didn't know there was an option of queueing up & taking a chance though, & might try that.,

Keep on at them. Seems to me they hate arranging it!

35 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Members don't necessarily equate to seats. It is still the biggest party in Scotland according to that report.

Labour would win every election hands down if it was such a direct correlation. 

Quite true, but with a nationalist one policy party like the SNP, grassroots are much more important.

As with everything, it's about the context.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

Quite true, but with a nationalist one policy party like the SNP, grassroots are much more important.

As with everything, it's about the context.

The SNP in fairness haven't purely been a one policy party. It's been the main thrust obviously and under Nicola became almost the be all and end all. During this time they've perhaps lost grip on other issues, but they do have differences in governance: higher income tax for example and a more left wing approach.

Scots have, and will, continue to vote for that system, irrespective of whether independence has been achieved. But they will need to constantly appeal to their support by general policies in addition to the independence movement. 

If Abu gets the gig, then long term I reckon they're fucked, but Forbes has at least put her head above the parapet and is willing to challenge some of the progressive "Nicola-isms" which the majority of Scots weren't liking, which in turn may benefit the party long term.