Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oxford (A)

burnden

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

I honestly think we will have to get 4 points from these next two aways and I think we will.

Reason being I cannot see us winning all the 3 home games within the week. I’m worried about the Fleetwood game, not the other two.

However if we do have to go to Bristol Rovers and win then I’m confident we will.

We really can't assume any of the contenders will drop points so we just have to win every game from here on in and it's mission accomplished. Tomorrow is another opportunity to get points on the board and hang on to our top 6 spot so instead of guessing, this really is "one game at a time" territory.

I know it's a tough challenge but in my heart of hearts I'll be disappointed if we don't win, not only because our chance of the playoffs would be slipping away but also because it reflects on how the team is playing.

Just now, Cheese said:

Their predicted starting line-ups are usually pretty accurate to be fair.

Well if that's accurate, it doesn't really live up to the "bare bones" hype. Under the circumstances I'd be happy with that. Although I'm still wondering what's going on with Kieran Lee...

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Well if that's accurate, it doesn't really live up to the "bare bones" hype. Under the circumstances I'd be happy with that. Although I'm still wondering what's going on with Kieran Lee...

It does really. Who's on the bench if one of our back 3 gets injured?

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

Although I'm still wondering what's going on with Kieran Lee...

Suspect nothing much.  

I'm a big fan.but he's 35 in June and this season has already played in more games than any season since 15/16.  Suspect it's just been a long season for him and he's run out of gas a bit, plus Dempsey. Morley and most recently Sheehan have been in good form. 

Still got a role to play.

• Site Supporter
50 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Suspect nothing much.  

I'm a big fan.but he's 35 in June and this season has already played in more games than any season since 15/16.  Suspect it's just been a long season for him and he's run out of gas a bit, plus Dempsey. Morley and most recently Sheehan have been in good form. 

He should have started on Monday. His movement is perfect for a deep lying defensive team like Cambridge.

Shoretire could learn so much from him.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He should have started on Monday. His movement is perfect for a deep lying defensive team like Cambridge.

Shoretire thinks he knows it all though.

Cocky little fucker.

1 hour ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Suspect nothing much.  

Lee has been excellent in his cameos this season, I said it Pre Xmas that he wouldn’t play on a regular basis and neither should he, quality at this level but Father Time prevents him playing more minutes. 

2 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Suspect nothing much.  

Quality 

11 hours ago, DazBob said:

And/or hope the opposition don't have a striker who can run faster than my mum.

Fuck me, the thought of a ball over the top of MJ and him having to turn like an artic lorry, dragging his false leg, is going to give me nightmares tonight.

😀  That made me laugh!  I think MJ is a great option for midfield with his reliable passing and interceptions, but I'm with you on the thought of him at centre back.  Its a poor do if IE can't organise a team to play 4-4-f*****2 when that suits the players available.

Fuck me everyone's dogshit and we are fucked?!  In defence of some of the above......

Kieran Lee - best 'proper' footballer in squad by some distance. Makes everyone else better with the space he creates. 

MJ - decent cover to hold a point in midfield, would be comfortable with him middle of a back three in an emergency (which we are now in). 

Shoretire - real talent, luxury as most advanced midfield, happy with him as second striker though he's in a big queue. 

Morley - another proper footballer. If he's having to drop deep is there the right  movement ahead of him? 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

15 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yup - that's exactly why I was asking about Lee - I'd have thought today's game would suit him.

As for Shoretire he's going to have to learn to play quicker and smarter - this league doesn't allow him the time on the ball he's used to and v Cambs he was caught time and time again. It was a mercy substitution in the end he was that out of his depth.

3 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Yup - that's exactly why I was asking about Lee - I'd have thought today's game would suit him.

As for Shoretire he's going to have to learn to play quicker and smarter - this league doesn't allow him the time on the ball he's used to and v Cambs he was caught time and time again. It was a mercy substitution in the end he was that out of his depth.

Shoretire was the same at Morecambe and offered nothing- he got pissed off when substituted. He does have talent though and can produce some magic but we need 90 minutes grafters to get us in these playoffs 

Right I’m putting feelers out for a daft mission. Not holding out for much but why not.

1. Any Wanderers driving to the game from Essex way? I’m near Sawbridge (had a mate’s wedding last night) and it’s nearly 3 hours via public transport.

2. Are there any tickets left for the away end.

Literally would be tempted to play MJ right in the middle of the back 3, we've seen in high possession teams like ours the middle man (usually Rico) is the one with most of the ball and sends those long balls down the channels.

MJ would be perfect for this but the downside are his potential defensive frailties.

Tbh though I can't see this being worse than Mbete, then this would allow Johno to play on that left side of the back 3 and link up with John which we know works very well.

Orrrr, if MJ would really get exposed that much, I'd play him in front of the back 3 

Edited by Lostock Whites