Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton Albion (A)

burnden

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I thought MJ did okay last night, but what the fuck is he doing on their goal?

I'd love to have an excuse for GT, but that miss is nothing but horrendous, could've just nodded it in with his big head rather than trying smash it in from waist height.

All in all though a good point given our record down there.  Should've been 3 points given the chances missed ... but at least we created them.

• Site Supporter

Talking of misses, some may remember David Reeves with a miss at Blackpool (iirc) years ago.

Played across the box from a yard out and he had an open net, with no one near him.

It was waist height, and he seemed to get confused as to whether to jump and side foot it in, or stoop and head it. Would have been easier just to let it hit him in the spuds and fall over the line.

3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

There's absolutely nowt wrong with Thomason. 

Still don't understand why he's the fanbase whipping boy. He's done well since he came back from injury, and seems to be getting better all the time. 

Just maybe let's not have him 2 yards out ever again 😁

1 minute ago, TM Trotter said:

Still don't understand why he's the fanbase whipping boy. He's done well since he came back from injury, and seems to be getting better all the time. 

Just maybe let's not have him 2 yards out ever again 😁

I like him he is a great lad and his progress has been amazing, however if we are to progress he is likely to play less not more, ultimately he will do ok at L1/2 level.... hopefully we will get back into a proper league sooner rather than later.  

As per previous comments a decent point but disappointing given the performance. Lots more positives than negatives. Big Vic very good was surprised he went off. I do not get the stick Legohead GT gets, or the love in around Jerome. 
Shows how the run in fluctuates, we were lucky ish to get 3 points Saturday and results were good to us. Blew 2 points yesterday and results elsewhere were shit. 

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I like him he is a great lad and his progress has been amazing, however if we are to progress he is likely to play less not more, ultimately he will do ok at L1/2 level.... hopefully we will get back into a proper league sooner rather than later.  

Evatt clearly doesn't see it like that.

Wouldn't surprise me if he eventually captained a team- he is more of a talker/ gesticulator than most.

Fans often talk about needing someone who can be a bit of a shithouse in midfield- could be that player.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Wouldn't surprise me if he eventually captained a team- he is more of a talker/ gesticulator than most.

Fans often talk about needing someone who can be a bit of a shithouse in midfield- could be that player.

They need to be a decent player though.

If we want a shithouse in midfield, you could just stick Jeremy Corbyn in.

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I think you and I have a similar opinion of Thomason. I also rate him and think he has potential to go further in the game. 

I’ve got a few genuine questions for the doubters. And I’m open to the fact that watching live behind the goal may give a very limited perspective and there might be things I didn’t see.

But apart from his glaring miss and a few misplaced passes in the 2nd half (1st half I thought he was the best player on the pitch!) what did he do yesterday that deserves criticism?

His desire and energy was everything we needed yesterday. He’s relentless in carrying out his defensive midfield duties. Having him and MJ in that centre spine yesterday offered us some real leadership and direction.

One thing that you have a better perspective of watching live is seeing what they do off the ball. They never stopped talking and organising and giving out bollockings when needed.

I thought he was the right player for the right game yesterday.

My view on him is that he’ll make a really decent career at somewhere like a Burton. His attributes all suit a grafting team, small pitch, picking up 2nd balls off the striker, bit of shithousing, can play a bit but wouldn’t regularly get in any of the teams pushing for promotion, and certainly isn’t good enough to play in the Championship.

Other than the fact that he doesn’t score or assist, watch him when he receives the ball and dribbles - his head is down, he concentrates on his control and runs looking at the ground until he has the space to stop, pick his head up and then make a pass (or he just lays off to the centre backs as his go-to safe ball). That doesn’t mean he’s a bad player, but to me it sets the likes of Morley, Dempsey, Sheehan (and the likes of Bannan etc.) apart as players that could play higher up.

Seems like a top lad, played well yesterday and is a dependable squad player in this league but I wouldn’t want him starting in the play offs and I don’t think he’ll be with us if we’re in the Championship next season.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

My view on him is that he’ll make a really decent career at somewhere like a Burton. His attributes all suit a grafting team, small pitch, picking up 2nd balls off the striker, bit of shithousing, can play a bit but wouldn’t regularly get in any of the teams pushing for promotion, and certainly isn’t good enough to play in the Championship.

Other than the fact that he doesn’t score or assist, watch him when he receives the ball and dribbles - his head is down, he concentrates on his control and runs looking at the ground until he has the space to stop, pick his head up and then make a pass (or he just lays off to the centre backs as his go-to safe ball). That doesn’t mean he’s a bad player, but to me it sets the likes of Morley, Dempsey, Sheehan (and the likes of Bannan etc.) apart as players that could play higher up.

Seems like a top lad, played well yesterday and is a dependable squad player in this league but I wouldn’t want him starting in the play offs and I don’t think he’ll be with us if we’re in the Championship next season.

Cheers, a good reasoned response which offers an alternative opinion.

Let’s see what happens with him in the future.

In the present he’s certainly got a part to play to get us into the Championship. 

5 hours ago, woolli said:

Im sure we will get the points needed to get into the playoffs, and think we have done fantastically well considering all the injuries. A major concern for the play offs though! We have not scored more than one goal in our last eight league  matches, that will have to improve if we want to progress.

If we get in the play offs and someone offers that we'll score 1 in each of the 2 legs I'll take that all day long.  It would be a big improvement on most league games against top teams.

5 hours ago, desperado said:

Pretty much the way I viewed the game, both before and after.

We can talk about trends and form all we want - subjectively we’ll view it to fit our outlook, positive or negative. 

Some will include Plymouth to fit their narrative, others will leave it out (although I’m not quite sure why you would!?) 

Even leaving it out, we’ve not lost in 5 league games now, while all around us they have. That for me (including beating the leaders 4-0!) is a good foundation leading into these last 4 games.

Not to dismiss the cup final performance at all, but the argument for leaving it out of a "form" indicator, is that there is no "home" and "away" team.  So when Cambridge come to us and park the bus, that wouldn't happen at Wembley I'm guessing, their fans would expect to see some attacking intent.  There are home and away mentalities (Burton at our place always stink the place out and come to life when at home) which were removed at Wembley, not to mention it looks like a bigger pitch bringing with it more width for Bradley etc. 

If we get to the play off final you have my permission to use the 4-0 as positive evidence 😃

• Site Supporter
54 minutes ago, desperado said:

Cheers, a good reasoned response which offers an alternative opinion.

Let’s see what happens with him in the future.

In the present he’s certainly got a part to play to get us into the Championship. 

Yep.

As I keep sayjng, a recent contract extensiom suggests they think he can play higher.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I’d love him to be that man, what he has achieved while here has been remarkable. It’s only my opinion and as I said yesterday I don’t rate Bannan as anything other than decent league 1 player while others think he’s the Dogs bollocks, just my opinion. 

Legohead is nowhere near the finished article but the midfield three last night had more urgency to win the ball back and move us forward.

His first touch is not of the standard of others so it is worrying when takes the ball from keeper with back to goal. A bit of confidence to take shots on from around the area would be good too.

He does offer something different  in games and is more and more a valuable squad player. Did think he look knackered last ten last night and was surprised Sheehan did not get a run against their tired defence. 

• Site Supporter

I suppose Evatt's way of thinking will have been the chances being created with those current 11.

Would the finishing have been improved by Sheehan coming on- possibly not, and as chances were being created he left it.

If one of those goes in, we aren't even discussing it. Narrow margins.

my thoughts last night, great little away day is burton, a club with more flags than fans, how the fuck they beat sheff weds and barnsley ill never know

i thought thomasson was poor last night,totally get why he was picked over sheehan due to combativness and size, but the deep lying midfield position turns him into a far worse player imho,to bust looking for the sideways or backwards pass. at home you play sheehan or lee before him away at burton when we have to dig in,he plays. i also thought they tried to attack us down our left with johnston at times struggling,

thought mj played really well,and randall williams did ok,

take a point and move on.

13 hours ago, DazBob said:

I thought MJ did okay last night, but what the fuck is he doing on their goal?

I'd love to have an excuse for GT, but that miss is nothing but horrendous, could've just nodded it in with his big head rather than trying smash it in from waist height.

All in all though a good point given our record down there.  Should've been 3 points given the chances missed ... but at least we created them.

I thought the biggest howler was from Johnston - not dealing with the initial ball in towards the box - for a centre-half to not even jump to try and head the ball away (his heals left the ground, but his feet didn't!) was criminal.

11 hours ago, desperado said:

I think you and I have a similar opinion of Thomason. I also rate him and think he has potential to go further in the game. 

I’ve got a few genuine questions for the doubters. And I’m open to the fact that watching live behind the goal may give a very limited perspective and there might be things I didn’t see.

But apart from his glaring miss and a few misplaced passes in the 2nd half (1st half I thought he was the best player on the pitch!) what did he do yesterday that deserves criticism?

His desire and energy was everything we needed yesterday. He’s relentless in carrying out his defensive midfield duties. Having him and MJ in that centre spine yesterday offered us some real leadership and direction.

One thing that you have a better perspective of watching live is seeing what they do off the ball. They never stopped talking and organising and giving out bollockings when needed.

I thought he was the right player for the right game yesterday.

I also like George but mainly for his potential. He's not a great natural footballer by any stretch of the imagination and he needs to work on several aspects of his game but he has tenacity and a fantastic engine on him - characteristics that are rare and potentially valuable.

Sure he could work on getting his head up/vision, shooting, crossing, touch etc and can improve all of them but he'll never be fantastic in those aspects - however, if he learns to utilise his natural athleticism better - ratting around for possession, playing simple passes to the ballers, timing his runs, positional sense etc he could be a real force in the game.

Reminds me of a young Muamba who also adapted his game once he realised he wasn't the best natural footballer on the park - but could make a massive contribution by focusing on what he was good at.

58 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I also like George but mainly for his potential. He's not a great natural footballer by any stretch of the imagination and he needs to work on several aspects of his game but he has tenacity and a fantastic engine on him - characteristics that are rare and potentially valuable.

Sure he could work on getting his head up/vision, shooting, crossing, touch etc and can improve all of them but he'll never be fantastic in those aspects - however, if he learns to utilise his natural athleticism better - ratting around for possession, playing simple passes to the ballers, timing his runs, positional sense etc he could be a real force in the game.

Reminds me of a young Muamba who also adapted his game once he realised he wasn't the best natural footballer on the park - but could make a massive contribution by focusing on what he was good at.

To compare Tomo to Muamba is just ludicrous imo.

One was a top flight midfield general, the other is an enthusiastic young player who can’t yet nail down a place in the starting line-up in a league 1 team.

I like Tomo for where we are at right now, but his game has some serious limitations.

• Moderators
19 hours ago, Eddie said:

This. Said it years ago.

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

One was a top flight midfield general, the other is an enthusiastic young player who can’t yet nail down a place in the starting line-up in a league 1 team.

I like Tomo for where we are at right now, but his game has some serious limitations.

He was fairly regular until his injury.

Gradually getting more involved since.

Not sure how he'd nail down a place during and immediately after some serious knee damage.

Third division footballers are't the best of their kind by definition, that applies to them all. 

Which ones can go further, time will tell.

7 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

One was a top flight midfield general  the other is an enthusiastic young player who can’t yet nail down a place in the starting line-up in a league 1 team

Just because George reminds me of Fabrice because of his playing style, doesn't mean I'm saying he's as good as he was. They can be compared because they have so many similarities - including the fact that neither was much of a goalscorer/attacking threat.  I think Muamba had a goal return of less than one goal per 40 games despite having better quality players around him.

What is ludicrous is slagging George off for his finishing - that's not his forte just as it wasn't Fabrice's.