Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

First night club

gonzo

Stolen off talksport other day... what was your first?

My time was split between waterfront and heaven&hell.

Waterfront had double your money drinks offer on a Thursday night. Heaven&Hell had triple your money friday.

Pay £10 in and get £30 of drinks vouchers. VK-ice by the bucket load. Recipe for disaster :D

Downstairs in waterfront was full of mincers, upstairs it was banging. Jimmy Day on the decks with Fubar doing Euphoria nights.

Heaven&Hell was whopper central. Posers in heaven but hell was insane. Pilled up scallies from all over the fylde coast. Stripy Jumpers and Rockports bouncing about to Stevie Mayor on the decks. Usually a full blown brawl in there at various point in the night with security called over the PA.

I look at clubs now and its all private booths and grey goose vodka.

Give me the sweatbox in Hell any day of the week and put your fucking phone away.

• Site Supporter

Tokyo Jo's in Preston. Horrible place. Absolutely hated every second of it, but it was where everyone went for some reason. Sacked it off after a couple of months and became a regular at The Warehouse down the road, which was infinitely superior.

Right!

Who used to go to the Aquarius???

It was a club, but would you call it a night club? Or more like what the Phoenix club was based on?.

Some great nights in there though.

Remember seeing the Salford Jets in there one time absolutely bouncing.

• Site Supporter

I'll always find it a bit mad that smoking inside those places was considered perfectly acceptable and normal for so long (and I was a smoker at the time). Same with the concourses at the Reebok. Almost impossible to imagine it now.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Sweep said:

Rockerfellas for me, I recall it being OK, it was probably shit though

Rockerfellas for me too. Town centre back in the early 80s was bangin! Surrounding towns used to run coach parties into Bolton; Burnley, Blackburn, Liverpool, Stockport. All started on Bradshawgate where there were fantastic pubs. 

• Moderators

Guess it would be nibblers if that counts 

Did more Friday nights in Wigan than Bolton in the college days so probably Playhouse, Turnkey and The Word 

Was never a fan of Ritzys, recall a night at Hawthornes when I was 16 

Went to peppermint place in Blackburn for my 18th 

Stuart Ripley was in the VIP bit 

VIP bit being a red rope sectioning off an open corner of the room with maybe a settee 

47 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I'll always find it a bit mad that smoking inside those places was considered perfectly acceptable and normal for so long (and I was a smoker at the time). Same with the concourses at the Reebok. Almost impossible to imagine it now.

Absolutely bonkers isnt it. They covered it on 5 live this morning. 

How the hell was it allowed for so long?!

My eyes would sting after a shift behind the bar.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Zico said:

Guess it would be nibblers if that counts 

Did more Friday nights in Wigan than Bolton in the college days so probably Playhouse, Turnkey and The Word 

Was never a fan of Ritzys, recall a night at Hawthornes when I was 16 

Went to peppermint place in Blackburn for my 18th 

Stuart Ripley was in the VIP bit 

VIP bit being a red rope sectioning off an open corner of the room with maybe a settee 

Aye, I went to Wigan college and would sometimes make it to Turnkey on a Thursday night.  I somehow never missed the last bus home.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Absolutely bonkers isnt it. They covered it on 5 live this morning. 

How the hell was it allowed for so long?!

My eyes would sting after a shift behind the bar.

Hardly ever crossed my mind at the time unless somebody mentioned it, then I'd happily move away or go outside. Just seemed so normal as I'd been brought up by generations of smokers. Madness. I think I even tried to argue against the ban for a while. Twat.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Hardly ever crossed my mind at the time unless somebody mentioned it, then I'd happily move away or go outside. Just seemed so normal as I'd been brought up by generations of smokers. Madness. I think I even tried to argue against the ban for a while. Twat.

I happily smoked inside and never gave it a second thought  

Quit now but the thought of smoking indoors is proper grim  

Went to Berlin around 2011, was still allowed, was still smoking myself but couldn't stand it inside longer than a few minutes inside before eyes were stinging 

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Zico said:

I happily smoked inside and never gave it a second thought  

Quit now but the thought of smoking indoors is proper grim  

Went to Berlin around 2011, was still allowed, was still smoking myself but couldn't stand it inside longer than a few minutes inside before eyes were stinging 

I packed it in for good 7 years ago (could've sworn it was longer). Had a couple of drags at a mates wedding last year when I was pissed up and it was fucking horrible.

Edited by Cheese

• Site Supporter

I went in a “nightclub” called The Bantry a few times back around the turn of the century.

Now that was fucking awful.

Couldnt even tell you where it was because I was always blind drunk and got roped into it by the cricket lads

43 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Remember maggie tate on here saying passive smoking had little to do with lung cancer.

Also remember similar whoppers saying the smoking ban would close pubs.

He was wrong with almost everything he ever said, which I guess is why he doesn't come on here anymore.

"US Citizens having easy access to guns isn't what causes them to have mass shootings"

"The USD/GBP exchange rate dive, is just seasonal, because of holidays, it's nothing to do with Brexit, it'll be back up again in a couple of weeks"

"Brexit will be sorted easily within a few weeks, suggesting otherwise is just scaremongering"

"The German car industry won't let there be any problems in agreeing an easy free trade deal"

Just a few of his belters right there 🙂

31 minutes ago, Spider said:

I went in a “nightclub” called The Bantry a few times back around the turn of the century.

Now that was fucking awful.

Couldnt even tell you where it was because I was always blind drunk and got roped into it by the cricket lads

It was on DAUBHILL  only ever went in once and that was enough 

RAYGUN close shop now

Rockerfellas for me late 70s

Went to Aquarius loads but that was to see bands so more of a social club

Ha, smoking. Jesus - pubs, clubs, hotels, supermarket cafes, hospital coffee shops, Maccy D’s (one for youri there), in the cinema, on the bus. Amazes me where I used to be allowed to smoke