Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury Town (H)

Burndens Bogs

Good performance. It's always difficult against an  11 men behind the ball team but we were patient, passed them to death & wore them down.

We scored one, hit the woodwork 3 times & their keeper made 2 cracking saves.....1-0 really doesn't do it justice.

MOTM between MJ who seemed to win every challenge & used the ball well, & Dempsey who drove the team on.

10 minutes ago, matty2094 said:

https://www.skysports.com/football/bolton-wanderers-vs-shrewsbury-town/report/469446

How can Sky’s ‘highlights’ include a blocked shot that went 10 yards wide but not a thunderbastard that was a couple of inches from winning a Puskas

Terrible highlights - not included

Dion's 1 on 1 saved after he cut inside last defender (sitter, just put it to the right of keeper surely)

Dempsey's header saved at near post from a corner

Dempsey's shot across that was saved with the rebound looping over Adeboyejo and R.Williams and for a corner

Bradley and Charles hitting crossbar

Charles disallowed goal for a push

Kachunga 1 on 1 90th minute after Lee was fouled by last man

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Dions “goal” was a blatant shove in the back on their defender - ridiculously so.

Sometimes strikers aren't the smartest when it comes to such things. It is a criticism I'd make of Dion- at times he does get overly embroiled in silly fouls and tussles- which perhaps cost him on occasions when he is fouled.

That said, I've not seen the incident.

22 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Dions “goal” was a blatant shove in the back on their defender - ridiculously so.

I couldn’t really see from the WSU so didn’t have a clue in the ground. I’ve seen it back on twitter though and there’s no way it’s a foul - the defender stumbles just as the ball is crossed and is off balance as he then tries to close in on Dion and so kind of bounces off him as Dion moves towards the ball.

I’m the first to call Dion thick as fuck when he blatantly pushes defenders and gives away free kicks, but in this instance I don’t think he did anything wrong and it was just another example of how shit the ref was.

Thought they executed their game plan very well in the first half and we did a good job of helping them.

Thought MJ and Morley tended to slow everything down which was what they needed.

Think getting 3 points means anyone can think anything they want to but it's irrelevant as it's job done.

Totally in our hands and would have happily taken that at the start of the season. 

There aren't many Bolton players under rated on here but i think Sheehan is one. Three of the strikers missed one on ones  but thankfully Sheehan showed composure and quality.The first half was poor, too much pointless passing that wasn't hurting Shrewsbury but the half time  talk worked and the chances started to come.

Today we didn't give as many clear cut chances to the opposition as we did in the last 3 games which is an improvement. We seriously need a classy finisher or two but probably can't afford them - presumably that explains why we are the lowest scoring team in the top ten. Despite that, Evatt and the squad are finding ways to keep us in contention but we sacrifice ruthlessness in front of goal for workrate - but we're not a million miles from being a top team. It's just that we might concede more if it wasn't for having forwards like Dion, Kacha and Victor who are workers.

Hopefully we have enough to get us promoted, but if we do get there we'll need to spend some money.

Frustrating game, we could have had 6 but in the end 1 was all we need.

Could get picky about finishing or crossing or slowing it down in the first half etc. but in general I thought we played really well and actually never had a doubt we’d win it (I think).

Couple of standout performances:

MJ - looked like he’d played centre back his whole career. Granted they weren’t the most attacking team but everything he had to do was done really well.

Dempsey - the guy is a machine, always running, always on the front foot, drags the team forward and makes something happen when it goes a bit stale and could have had a couple of goals with a bit of luck.

Man of the match though, and someone who has completely made me eat my words - Sheehan. He’s getting better and better with every game, not just the cracking goal, but he’s brilliant at finding space and then getting on the ball and making something happen - he’s perfect in a game like today but is also proving himself in the shitty games on small horrible pitches. I’ve completely changed my mind and would definitely offer him a contract at the end of this season.

4 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Man of the match though, and someone who has completely made me eat my words - Sheehan. He’s getting better and better with every game, not just the cracking goal, but he’s brilliant at finding space and then getting on the ball and making something happen - he’s perfect in a game like today but is also proving himself in the shitty games on small horrible pitches. I’ve completely changed my mind and would definitely offer him a contract at the end of this season.

With the ball the best midfielder we have and by some distance 

2 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

With the ball the best midfielder we have and by some distance 

He really is. Morley, Dempsey and Lee all have other attributes that would be ahead of Sheehan, but in terms of trusting someone with the ball at feet then Sheehan is the best we’ve got. Somewhat delayed, but we might just get to see what Evatt can really get out of him next season as I imagine he’s very much playing his way into a new contract.

• Site Supporter

Just for ballance, he was far too slow to use it against Cambridge.

And it bounced of him when we played Derby at home.

Hopefully, he's gaining confidence with each game, and is relatively fresh going into the playoffs. Could actually be the making of him, particularly if we reach the promised land.

2 hours ago, 1969 said:

Why have quite a few got the daggers out for RW already 

Yes for the 1st few games he was poor but imo he now is improving every game and starting to show why IE brought him to the club

I admit I haven't seen his away appearances so I'll bow to superior knowledge on that, but every single home appearance he has been drifting through games.  Get the ball, turn back and pass to Johnstone or Sheehan.  Go into challenges half heartedly.  Hit crosses with no conviction or aim.  Run when absolutely necessary but avoid if possible.  A signing that baffles me as he seems so far removed from being an IE type player.

29 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I admit I haven't seen his away appearances so I'll bow to superior knowledge on that, but every single home appearance he has been drifting through games.  Get the ball, turn back and pass to Johnstone or Sheehan.  Go into challenges half heartedly.  Hit crosses with no conviction or aim.  Run when absolutely necessary but avoid if possible.  A signing that baffles me as he seems so far removed from being an IE type player.

He was excellent at Burton after a dodgy start. He seems to start most games slowly but improves as the game goes on. Toss up between Declan and Randall 

Sheehan has been quality last couple of months, fair play to him, didn't think he had it in him. 

Great finish on his weak foot and tidy with his passing. Good to hear in the post match interview that Toal and Santos are both back training again, lightly albeit. Need them back for the playoffs, but MJ has been a very capable stand-in.

• Members

Relieved. Three more of them will do me just fine. Be nice to stuff Stanley but 1-0 will do for me.

I can see our main rivals losing on the last day of the season so these two home games could be massive wins.

Edited by bolty58

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Relieved. Three more of them will do me just fine. Be nice to stuff Stanley but 1-0 will do for me.

I can see our main rivals losing on the last day of the season so these two home games could be massive wins.

As Posh can now only get to 79 points and have a GD -5 compared to us, we only need a win and a draw in the last 3 games to qualify for the playoffs Bolty.

Even so, we need some momentum and form.

5 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

As Posh can now only get to 79 points and have a GD -5 compared to us, we only need a win and a draw in the last 3 games to qualify for the playoffs Bolty.

Even so, we need some momentum and form.

I think 5 points, goal difference of -5 is nowt.