Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Shrewsbury Town (H)

Burndens Bogs

If we don't beat Shrewsbury who have nothing to play for in a home game at the business end of the season we wouldn't deserve to make the playoffs. And TBH we wouldn't have the form to do anything even if we got there.

If we have any serious ambitions about the playoffs and promotion we need to massively improve our performances as well as getting the results because let's be honest - we haven't been on form since Wembley - which is why I'm not counting any playoff chickens just yet. With tougher games to come this is a must win for me.

1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

If we don't beat Shrewsbury who have nothing to play for in a home game at the business end of the season we wouldn't deserve to make the playoffs. And TBH we wouldn't have the form to do anything even if we got there.

If we have any serious ambitions about the playoffs and promotion we need to massively improve our performances as well as getting the results because let's be honest - we haven't been on form since Wembley - which is why I'm not counting any playoff chickens just yet. With tougher games to come this is a must win for me.

Play like last night and we can beat anyone

We'll make it into play offs. Probably won't win them, but it would represent progress all the same especially with a trophy win thrown in.

If we did win them, it would cause a whole other set of headaches. Just going to sit back and enjoy watching it play out either way.

39 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

We'll make it into play offs. Probably won't win them, but it would represent progress all the same especially with a trophy win thrown in.

If we did win them, it would cause a whole other set of headaches. Just going to sit back and enjoy watching it play out either way.

'Enjoy' is a ropey word to use pal!

I'm already anxious for Saturday, never mind thinking about actually being in the playoffs...

Just now, BeeversLeftPeg said:

I'm already anxious for Saturday, never mind thinking about actually being in the playoffs...

Me two; really want to go up this season and we need to get across the line to make the playoffs 

half time scores hadn’t changed we would be almost there now

48 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

This is where I am at.

Play offs are clear progress.

If we get there and you add in Wembley and the likelihood of circa 16,000 ST holders for next season, then it’s been a bloody good season.

2 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

It’s somewhat more enjoyable than the lost years!

I'd forgotten what a playoff hunt felt like!

1 minute ago, captainmed said:

This is where I am at.

If we get there and you add in Wembley and the likelihood of circa 16,000 ST holders for next season, then it’s been a bloody good season.

The teams coming down from the Championship nothing special for next season either. 

4 minutes ago, captainmed said:

This is where I am at.

Be interesting to understand the plans for when we don’t go up. Big task to keep players and keep pushing. A very big window for us especially given we have had a weaker January window 

23 minutes ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

I'm glad to see us up there in with a chance, play offs is just a state of mind dude flow with it...

In truth, I will be completing a worry poo at around 8am Saturday.

I don't think any realistic Wanderers fan would be 'expecting' us to go up this year or 'have to' 

Progress from last season and a top 6 finish has been pretty much the objective, which most likely we look well to be doing.

Next season I think is where the expectation to get promoted will lay

11 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

I don't think any realistic Wanderers fan would be 'expecting' us to go up this year or 'have to' 

Progress from last season and a top 6 finish has been pretty much the objective, which most likely we look well to be doing.

Next season I think is where the expectation to get promoted will lay

I'd say the vast majority of fans would agree with that.

Worry is like @Big E said. the real acid test of the sustainability of the club we'll be other clubs coming in for our better players and who we replace them with if we don't go up.

5 minutes ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

I'd say the vast majority of fans would agree with that.

Worry is like @Big E said. the real acid test of the sustainability of the club we'll be other clubs coming in for our better players and who we replace them with if we don't go up.

And the Manager having his eye turned because of lack of progression becomes more likely… not getting promoted will be a big blow. 

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If we win, and continue gathering points as we have done since the final, we will be in good form.

If we take that into the playoffs we may well be promoted.

See, it's easy to take a glass half full approach, using the very same data.

Not a time for neg heads.

...and then we sign a new team, storm the Championship, win the FA Cup, pip City and Arsenal to the Prem title the following season and go on to win the Champions League?

Sure there is always a glass half full approach but only a fool would bank on all our dreams coming true and if the players get a whiff of that attitude we're f*****.

Fact is if we lose to Shrewsbury and the others win it's no longer in our control and we could then go on to win every remaining game and still miss out on the playoffs.

Thems the facts at the moment and facts are neither negative or positive so let's just win the game and then we can worry about the next one :)

Must win this, will take the pressure off ever so slightly on the following 2 home games and will give us momentum going into them, and with the Posh playing Ipswich it's a great chance to further our advantage against them. Shrewsbury also have a very depleted squad and with us being at home on a larger pitch and playing Evattball i can see them tiring and us scoring a few late on, however this is Bolton Wanderers and we never do it easy