Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

I. D. For voting

Spider

• Site Supporter

Just heard on the radio that folk have until 5pm today to register for voting ID if they don’t have any other way to identify themselves at polling stations.

Forst of all, I can’t believe it’s taken this long voter ID to be enforced. I’ve always thought it a bit crazy that you just say your name and that’s good enough. Wide open to fraud.

However, the government don’t seem to have bust a gut to make this widely known. I saw a tv report a few months ago and then a snippet on the radio news earlier. Do they think most of those without ID are anti-Tory?

Either way, I expect it’ll be a ‘scandal’ by next Thursday evening.

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Just heard on the radio that folk have until 5pm today to register for voting ID if they don’t have any other way to identify themselves at polling stations.

Forst of all, I can’t believe it’s taken this long voter ID to be enforced. I’ve always thought it a bit crazy that you just say your name and that’s good enough. Wide open to fraud.

However, the government don’t seem to have bust a gut to make this widely known. I saw a tv report a few months ago and then a snippet on the radio news earlier. Do they think most of those without ID are anti-Tory?

Either way, I expect it’ll be a ‘scandal’ by next Thursday evening.

Its a scandal already, That folk are more angry about it is baffling.

They reason they've not wanted it top of the agenda is that its simply a way to keep voter turnout in poorer (and therefore less likely to vote Conservative) down - esp in urban areas.

The fact that voter fraud is almost zero hasbn't stopped them pushing this through.

Have a read of this, boils my blood this toipc and the fact that folk don't know or care; https://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/campaigns/voter-id/

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Stinks to high heaven. The fact over-60's travel passes are acceptable, but under-60s aren't is definite scandal material. The whole thing is a load of bollocks. It's pure voter suppression.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/voter-id/accepted-forms-photo-id

It totally is - when you've got groups like Age UK getting wound up about it, you know something is amiss.

Been boiling my piss for ages this topic - much like favourable boundary changes.

Just now, Spider said:

So if you’re 19, a student who hasn’t learned to drive yet and no passport, you’re struggling?

Just read the stuff - it is a real barrier for poorer and disadvataged communities - and considering we don't have huge numbers of voter fraud here - why spend the money doing it? Beause it helps the current party in power.

My mother in law, never drivemn doesn't have a passport, doesn't use the internet - one of the poorest part  of the North East and she has another barrier to stopped her - let alone others. Even if it helps in marginals, its all grist to the mill for the Tories - and they want lower voter turnout in the cities.

2 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Just go and get the Voting ID. Rocket science it ain’t 

You are applying your situations to thousnads of others who are already have difficulty in getting out to vote.

That folk just dismiss it is another eason why the Conservatives can get away with crap like this time and time again.

General apathy and misunderatdning how people turn out to vote in different demographics.

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Stinks to high heaven. The fact over-60's travel passes are acceptable, but under-60s aren't is definite scandal material. The whole thing is a load of bollocks. It's pure voter suppression.

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/voter/voter-id/accepted-forms-photo-id

Where do I get one of these under-60's travel passes ?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, ZiggyStardust said:

Where do I get one of these under-60's travel passes ?

You pay for them... The point is - what makes them a less reliable form of ID than an over-60s?

7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

You are applying your situations to thousnads of others who are already have difficulty in getting out to vote.

That folk just dismiss it is another eason why the Conservatives can get away with crap like this time and time again.

General apathy and misunderatdning how people turn out to vote in different demographics.

I’m not going to argue, but I think that you are wrong on this. I agree with @Spiderthat it should have been brought in years ago and it is good thinking to try it at local elections, when turnout is low anyway.

I doubt the boundary changes are as you say as well. 

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

You pay for them... The point is - what makes them a less reliable form of ID than an over-60s?

no. Where do I get one, not how.

Please provide a link, as I want one (I know I wont be able to use it to vote, but I often get mistaken for an oldie, so want something to show that I'm younger than I look).

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

I think this is a solution to an issue that doesn't exist.

Personally, I think everyone should have a national ID card anyway which would remove this issue.

As long as it's free and issued automatically when you reach voting age, I agree.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

no. Where do I get one, not how.

Please provide a link, as I want one (I know I wont be able to use it to vote, but I often get mistaken for an oldie, so want something to show that I'm younger than I look).

Train operator websites, depending on where you do most of your travelling?

7 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

I’m not going to argue, but I think that you are wrong on this. I agree with @Spiderthat it should have been brought in years ago and it is good thinking to try it at local elections, when turnout is low anyway.

Why would younger folk have less options than older people?

Hmmm, I wonder. 

6 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Re boundary changes - just a few articles; again they won't do it if it doesn't benefit them. You don't have to beileve me, is just one of those bald facts. Even the MAil acknowldge is could gain the Tories seats

https://www.ft.com/content/c13c0ea7-ddef-4156-8708-9cd6e753e426

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11402867/Tories-GAIN-10-seats-plans-redraw-constituency-boundaries.html

There isn't an issue with voter fraud, so its going in ucer the guise of 'solving' a problem that actually isn't there. And so why do it? Which leads us back to the fact it with lower the turnout is more pro-Labour areas. 

• Site Supporter

I'm not willing to cut the current Tory mob any slack on much, but hasn't this been talked about for donkeys years?

Personally, it's never sat well with me that someone could just wander in and pretend to be me and vote.

Considering it's one of the most important bits of our core democracy, I think it's long overdue.

National ID cards should be available to all, free to those who can't afford one and a nominal fee for everyone else.

That's life. 

• Site Supporter

Postal voters need no ID. Wasn’t this the issue where lots of people take their postal vote for the local Imam (other preacher types are available) to do the voting on the voter’s behalf?