Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

I. D. For voting

Spider

57 minutes ago, Spider said:

Comparing football membership to voter ID is demented.

Comparing their impact is actually logical. 

If you introduce an extra step to a process either proving who you or requiring you to sign up in advance the end number in both instances will be affected.

Hope that clears up your misunderstanding 

Edited by Ani

4 hours ago, Ani said:

Comparing their impact is actually logical. 

If you introduce an extra step to a process either proving who you or requiring you to sign up in advance the end number in both instances will be affected.

Hope that clears up your misunderstanding 

But in footballs case the end numbers are higher 

3 minutes ago, royal white said:

But in footballs case the end numbers are higher 

Attendances go up because of results on the pitch.I am not sure that the membership scheme can be credited with increasing attendances. 

I appreciate that the stories about  people struggling to buy tickets were anecdotal whereas much clearer evidence that some people were unable to vote. 

2 minutes ago, Ani said:

Attendances go up because of results on the pitch.I am not sure that the membership scheme can be credited with increasing attendances. 

I appreciate that the stories about  people struggling to buy tickets were anecdotal whereas much clearer evidence that some people were unable to vote. 

So bringing football memberships into the conversation was pointless! 

That’s unless the point you’re trying to get over is if you want to watch a match become a member, if you want to vote have the correct ID. 

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, royal white said:

That’s unless the point you’re trying to get over is if you want to watch a match become a member, if you want to vote have the correct ID. 

I think the fact is, lots of folk across the country didn't know the rules had changed. The fact that lots of old dears in leafy tory voting councils missed out upset Mogg.

No doubt next time round, plenty will have realised their mistake and got ID. Some won't as they may have not bothered with the local elections or not had one in their area. Mandatory ID would have sorted this anyway, why we don't have one this day and age is ridiculous.

13 minutes ago, royal white said:

My point was that when we started to say people had to be members to buy tickets it could only put people off and people complained it did.

When you add an extra element to the voting process , again it can only put people off and the evidence is that 200 were turned away in Bolton. 

If you add an extra step/requirement into a process and all other elements remain the same it will lead to a reduced output. 

• Site Supporter

Being a member of a football club's ticketing system is not a Democratic Right, so the comparison is a waste of time really. Football clubs can do whatever the fuck they want.

If every single eligible voter in the country was automatically issued with a free Photographic ID card, there'd be no problem whatsoever. This scheme is/was nothing more than an attempt to suppress the votes of certain demographics - highlighted by fact that very similar forms of ID are valid for people of a certain age, but not valid for others. In this case, Rees-Mogg claims it back-fired, but clearly admitted it was attempted Gerrymandering.

Edited by Cheese

15 minutes ago, Ani said:

My point was that when we started to say people had to be members to buy tickets it could only put people off and people complained it did.

When you add an extra element to the voting process , again it can only put people off and the evidence is that 200 were turned away in Bolton. 

If you add an extra step/requirement into a process and all other elements remain the same it will lead to a reduced output. 

Aghhh the attention seeking fuckwits 👍

14 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Being a member of a football club's ticketing system is not a Democratic Right, so the comparison is a waste of time really. Football clubs can do whatever the fuck they want.

If every single eligible voter in the country was automatically issued with a free Photographic ID card, there'd be no problem whatsoever. This scheme is/was nothing more than an attempt to suppress the votes of certain demographics - highlighted by fact that very similar forms of ID are valid for people of a certain age, but not valid for others. In this case, Rees-Mogg claims it back-fired, but clearly admitted it was attempted Gerrymandering.

You mean like the Voter ID card that was available to everyone that needed it. For free. 

7 minutes ago, royal white said:

You mean like the Voter ID card that was available to everyone that needed it. For free. 

That is not automatically issued. I think most ( if not every ) other European country that asks for ID does have such a card that is issued automatically.

3 minutes ago, royal white said:

You can apply online, takes about 5 mins. 

I know , but confused what your point is (or have you started a late shift and just bored?😃)

Some people for whatever reason did not bring suitable ID.

5 minutes ago, Ani said:

I know , but confused what your point is (or have you started a late shift and just bored?😃)

Some people for whatever reason did not bring suitable ID.

I was confused by your football comparison that’s all. 

If people want to vote they will. Having ID is no major problem. 

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, royal white said:

You’d said there’d be no problem doing it your way 😂😂 classic cheese. 

I didn't say it would all have to be done online. That's your assumption. There are things that happen in society that don't involve the internet...

Edited by Cheese

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I didn't say it would all have to be done online. That's your assumption. There are things that happen in society that don't involve the internet...

It’s 2023, IDs are mainly don’t digitally. Or are you suggesting those mainly old people find a Photo Booth, pay £5 for some pics, then post them to wherever is making the ID? 

Youve really not thought about this have you.