Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Play Offs

RUREADY2ROLL

10 minutes ago, tomski said:

What’s the criteria. Not heard of that. I know all the regionals have a tournament after but thought it was just winners.

ps has someone hacked your account as I understand your posts😂

look at italian serie b "if the third placed team is fourteen points infront of 4th place the playoffs are abandoned and the third placed team is automatically promoted"

Could have it where team finishing third goes straight to final.

But if you're going to give advantages out in play offs, you may as well just do away with them entirely and have 3 going up automatically.

That's the whole premise of the play offs, it artificially extends the season and allows a team the chance to go up instead of one that might have finished 20 points ahead of them. But it's good telly (usually, these 3 finals have been like having toothace)

Well done to the owls but I can’t see that kind of football being successful in the Championship and with so many aged players surely they’ll have to have a busy transfer market? Chanciri isn’t known for spending big money so will they be as big a force as they think they will?

47 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They’ll struggle keeping hold of players given the attendances they achieve and the lack of financial clout. I’m not that worried about them next season. 

Their attendances are 5k less than us and their lowest finish in the past 7 seasons is 6th in League One.

Hardly Barry Town vs Barcelona. They're a strong club for this level.

35 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Could have it where team finishing third goes straight to final.

But if you're going to give advantages out in play offs, you may as well just do away with them entirely and have 3 going up automatically.

That's the whole premise of the play offs, it artificially extends the season and allows a team the chance to go up instead of one that might have finished 20 points ahead of them. But it's good telly (usually, these 3 finals have been like having toothace)

Yeah finish 2nd if you want a favour.

21 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

Their attendances are 5k less than us and their lowest finish in the past 7 seasons is 6th in League One.

Hardly Barry Town vs Barcelona. They're a strong club for this level.

And it was £435 for an early bird season ticket at Barnsley compared to the £289 it cost me to renew at Bolton ie smaller crowds but paying more money

5 hours ago, desperado said:

Evolution under Evatt.  Not sure this Barnsley team could get much better than they are. I think there’s plenty for us to build and improve on. Some good summer recruitment and I’d feel confident we could surpass Barnsley next year. 

I too love your perma-optimism, so please take this in the spirit its intended, but that's stating the obvious, we all would!  And so would every team that's considered a top half challenger.  Achieving it is easier said than done as shown in January so let's see what happens, fingers crossed.  (I'm still struggling to imagine our attacks without Bradley!)

3 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Seems a right decent guy darren Moore

Yes, on a personal level I'm chuffed for him.  So dignified in defeat and victory, deserves his moment of glory.  That doesn't make him a great manager but when you see how some of the "top" managers behave, on the touchline or towards opposition players etc, he's a breath of fresh air.  

3 hours ago, tomski said:

Yeah finish 2nd if you want a favour.

In National League North, one below National League, Kings Lynn finished 2nd on 93 points, Kidderminster 6th, 24 points behind them.  Obviously Harriers beat them (4-1) in the play off final, only had an interest as my mate supports them.  Very harsh on Kings Lynn, got to finish top to guarantee going up, or its in the lap of the gods.

13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

In National League North, one below National League, Kings Lynn finished 2nd on 93 points, Kidderminster 6th, 24 points behind them.  Obviously Harriers beat them (4-1) in the play off final, only had an interest as my mate supports them.  Very harsh on Kings Lynn, got to finish top to guarantee going up, or its in the lap of the gods.

Everyone knows the score before they kick a ball. Them are the breaks. 8 more wins is huge but it’s the magic of the play offs. 

Make the play offs imbalanced or lob sided and it becomes less interesting. In Germany this happens where the Bundesliga team in 16th plays 3rd from div 2. 16th wins virtually every season

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I too love your perma-optimism, so please take this in the spirit it’s intended, but that's stating the obvious, we all would!  And so would every team that's considered a top half challenger.  Achieving it is easier said than done as shown in January so let's see what happens, fingers crossed.  (I'm still struggling to imagine our attacks without Bradley!)

I like our exchange of views on here, always makes for good discussion.

And I’m pretty self-aware that I’m mostly ultra-positive, probably bred out of loyalty and passion for us to achieve the best we can.

But I also feel I do this based on evidence and trends, not misplaced faith and belief that we’ll improve.

If Evatt has improved us year on year for 3 seasons, it’s not silly is it to believe he’ll do that again? 

And thats often been against the grain, when we’ve lost good players from the team, when the stakes have been higher and when our (Evatts) style of football has been questioned.

There’s only this January’s transfer window that’s been questionable (and even then we went on to achieve more points than we did in the first part of the season.) And its not unreasonable to think there’s a tune still to come from some of those.

So I don’t think it’s too much beyond standard optimism to think that a bit of clever recruitment will have us achieving our ambition of promotion next season. 

47 minutes ago, tomski said:

In Germany this happens where the Bundesliga team in 16th plays 3rd from div 2. 16th wins virtually every season

so it goes to plan?

Surprised our PL haven't started this.

Much prefer playoffs regardless of final points difference so that teams with a lot of injuries aren't penalised too much for a bad spell and the excitement - and incentive - of a late season push to reach the playoffs isn't lost. Keeps the pressure on for longer and it's a more exciting end to the season.

Go back to the original format of the higher league struggling team being involved with the promotion hopefuls, someone said they still do that in the German leagues?.

That would have frightened a few of the sky lyvvies over the years.

1 minute ago, Whitestar said:

Go back to the original format of the higher league struggling team being involved with the promotion hopefuls, someone said they still do that in the German leagues?.

Scottish leagues have this

13 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Scottish leagues have this

That’s done over two legs so the FA/EFL would lose the income of the Wembley showpiece. Plus it’s a very weird atmosphere with one team going in on a downer rather than both pushing to actually achieve something. 

1 hour ago, Whitestar said:

It wouldn't really.

Just be two automatically down, rather than three.

And the prem team would win 90% of the time I reckon.