Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley (H) - Play-Off 1st Leg

Cheese

Typical 1st leg affair. Almost the perfect away performance from them. They’ll be happy with the result and so should we based on the performance. 

well drilled, completely won the midfield (Connell to be fair is excellent) and kind of made us look like the away side. 

all to play for and we can beat anyone anywhere 

Content with the result. Draw was fair, both teams had good spells.

They executed their game-plan very well. We were a bit too patient in possession after the goal, could've gone at them a bit more. R Williams taking a bit of stick on twitter from what I saw but thought it was one of his best games for us.

Won a fair few defensive headers and showed good pace on the wing in the second half. An assist too. Failed to beat the first man with two crosses after that but he also put in some dangerous corners in the first half.

Absolutely chuffed with that

Lucky to go in H/T level but you need some luck, 2nd half their fitness lagged big time

Will put more politely but Williams was very poor for me can’t see why he’s playing over John, Morley wasn’t his best either

starts level friday put John & maybe lee in

Gets some stick Williams as he appears so passive but I’d be fucking fuming if I was him. Constantly gets ignored Johnstone has the ball and turns square when Williams has acres. Makes us look so one dimensional looking for Bradley all the time. 

And To be fair to him too he does the one thing no one else does. Puts the ball in. We lose that game if he didn’t 

Content with the draw especially after being 1 down.Game was a bit like a game of chess nobody willing to take a risk.People moaning about the slow tempo but I doubt anyone could keep playing at full throttle in that heat.Anyway all to play for friday coyfwm

• Site Supporter
49 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

Gets some stick Williams as he appears so passive but I’d be fucking fuming if I was him. Constantly gets ignored Johnstone has the ball and turns square when Williams has acres. Makes us look so one dimensional looking for Bradley all the time. 

And To be fair to him too he does the one thing no one else does. Puts the ball in. We lose that game if he didn’t 

Very true.

He doesn't always make the best crosses, but he does at least try. 

Number of times on the right later in the game, Dan or whoever had it constantly refused to put a ball in. Saw Dion bust an absolute gut on one occasion to get into the box and yet again no delivery.

Can't say I was surprised by the performance though. Time and again against the better quality, hard pressing teams, Sheehan is rendered ineffective.

Not entirely down to him though, we just become a little formulaic at times. 

As soon as Lee comes on, the movement improves and the speed of the passing picks up and we look better.

Not particularly concerned though, as I've probably as much confidence of beating them away as I have at home.

A scrambled draw. Take it based on performance. Pressure on them Friday. The longer it remains a stalemate the better for us. 

Traff gos through a lot of games with nothing to do, or making semi hard stuff look easy with excellent positioning and anticipation.....today he was top drawer.

If I was a Barnsley fan I'd be a little concerned, all things point to a shithousey away win for the whites come Friday 

7 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Very true.

Number of times on the right later in the game, Dan or whoever had it constantly refused to put a ball in. Saw Dion bust an absolute gut on one occasion to get into the box and yet again no delivery.

Can't say I was surprised by the performance though. Time and again against the better quality, hard pressing teams, Sheehan is rendered ineffective.

As soon as Lee comes on, the movement improves and the speed of the passing picks up and we look better.

Not particularly concerned though, as I've probably as much confidence of beating them away as I have at home.

Whilst Sheehan is a tidy player, I expect to see Morley in that position next game. We improved as soon as Morley dropped back

How many times does Morley want to give the ball away in key areas of the pitch, putting us under immense pressure?

He did it against Accy a few weeks ago and we conceded because of it, his odd wonder strike or 40 yard pass masks his very poor recent performances.

Regardless the midfield as a whole was weak today.

Defence was immense but we kept giving them so much work to do from a barrage of long throws and corners.

We have to be better at clearing the ball away, Dempsey passed it to their player rather than just lacing it up the pitch.

Overall, we were poor but defended well. I actually think the away game will suit us more to bring our game and still more than confident.

We are a better footballing side than Barnsley for sure, but they are stronger and much more physical and are not afraid of taking a shot from anywhere.

Ps. Atmosphere was absolutely unreal, the start of the game I hadn't seen it like that since the Prem days under Big Sam. Crowd was immense.

Edited by Lostock Whites

A draw was about right, we never got going properly & i thought Morley had a poor game & we needed someone a bit stronger than Kachunga upfront

But....we can play better than that & we've already won at Barnsley this season so still optimistic of a trip to Wembley.

Defence resolute and Traf simply brilliant but the rest were truly poor, too slow, gave the ball away relentlessly and other than our goal we never even troubled their keeper. I doubt we can be as bad as that on Friday so I’m still full of confidence that we’ll win through. Nobody works better with Bradley down the right than Jones and it was noticeable how ineffective he was today without him. It changed a bit when Lee came on and I hope that he starts in the away leg because he’s pure class. I’d also prefer to see Declan back in rather than Williams as I think he’s much more creative but to be fair I  thought he did better than a lot of others today.

10 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

How many times does Morley want to give the ball away in key areas of the pitch, putting us under immense pressure?

He did it against Accy a few weeks ago and we conceded because of it, his odd wonder strike or 40 yard pass masks his very poor recent performances.

Regardless the midfield as a whole was weak today.

Defence was immense but we kept giving them so much work to do from a barrage of long throws and corners.

We have to be better at clearing the ball away, Dempsey passed it to their player rather than just lacing it up the pitch.

Overall, we were poor but defended well. I actually think the away game will suit us more to bring our game and still more than confident.

We are a better footballing side than Barnsley for sure, but they are stronger and much more physical and are not afraid of taking a shot from anywhere.

Ps. Atmosphere was absolutely unreal, the start of the game I hadn't seen it like that since the Prem days under Big Sam. Crowd was immense.

Pretty much my thoughts word for word. +1

I'd add in that Trafford was excellent and Williams did well going forward (if not a tad suspect at the back).

28 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Very true.

But playing in that position he’s expected to deliver balls in and for me John is one of the better crossers of the ball we have

your last part is bang on for me we do our best work away from home

game on