Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley away 2nd leg

HomerJay

21 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I’m afraid footballs changing, it’s all about statistics now and as has been said, certainly at our level very few of the shots actually result in goals. IE is probably the most statistical manager we’ve ever had and stats are great but sometimes lead down the wrong path. That said, statistics or not Evatt’s done a cracking job so far so I’m more than happy to leave things to him rather than armchair managers like us. 🥴

Definitely must be stats based as you see nearly every team with everyone back at corners

44 minutes ago, Traf said:

Leave two quick lads on the halfway line, they'll have to leave three back, which eases box congestion.

I think it is the congestion that the defending team want?? Defending headers just need to keep it away from goal, attacking needs be on target etc.

Therefore a crowded penalty box is more beneficial to the defending team, less space and opportunity for attackers to lose markers etc.

No idea if I'm right but it's the only conclusion I could come up with that fits why they all do it.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

I think it is the congestion that the defending team want?? Defending headers just need to keep it away from goal, attacking needs be on target etc.

Therefore a crowded penalty box is more beneficial to the defending team, less space and opportunity for attackers to lose markers etc.

No idea if I'm right but it's the only conclusion I could come up with that fits why they all do it.

My thoughts too. Maybe stats show congestion reduces goals. Be interested to compare that to break away goals scored by the defending team on corners 

3 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Was you the fat kid? 😉

Au contreau, i was a speedy winger, flairs blowing on the breeze as i whip in a wembley trophy orange ball (slightly flat), with pinpoint precision onto the feather cut of the striker who is only 1 short of his 800 for the season.

25 minutes ago, JimmyRiddle said:

Yep, I think the theory is that when the penalty area is packed out, an attacking player will struggle to get a clean header on the ball & under so much pressure can't direct his header.  The stats are supposed to back this up.

I'd prefer to leave a man on the half way line as an out ball to try & prevent the ball coming straight back but I don't get worked up about it .

• Site Supporter
43 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

My thoughts too. Maybe stats show congestion reduces goals. Be interested to compare that to break away goals scored by the defending team on corners 

Confirmation Bias territory. As more teams are instructed to have 11 men in the box when defending corners, there's obviously going to be less break away goals, so even more teams will employ the same tactic.

If you follow this through to ultimation, football will just be 22 people standing still for 90 minutes so they don't concede, and every game will finish 0-0. Nothing to do with your point, but it just popped into my head.

1 hour ago, JimmyRiddle said:

You are right. A crowded penalty area is beneficial to the defending team, it's clearly why teams do it so frequently. 

Same sort of logic why pool hustlers always offer the opposing player to start with 4 or 5 balls already potted, more space and less congestion to pot balls. 

Edited by Arrested development

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you just need to pack the box to keep the ball out of your net, when you're winning with half an hour to go and no longer interested in a 2nd goal, why not play 11 at the back and leave nobody up front?  Its the same principle, the opposition can play with 10 attackers, but the congestion of 21 players near your goal means statistically you're much less likely to concede.  Teams don't do that presumably because if we carry an attacking threat they have to keep defenders back.  Just not sure why its different at corners, and often free kicks and long throws too.  All normal formations and tactics seem to go out of the window just because the ball is kicked from the corner flag.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

If you just need to pack the box to keep the ball out of your net, when you're winning with half an hour to go and no longer interested in a 2nd goal, why not play 11 at the back and leave nobody up front?  Its the same principle, the opposition can play with 10 attackers, but the congestion of 21 players near your goal means statistically you're much less likely to concede.  Teams don't do that presumably because if we carry an attacking threat they have to keep defenders back.  Just not sure why its different at corners, and often free kicks and long throws too.  All normal formations and tactics seem to go out of the window just because the ball is kicked from the corner flag.

It’s actually not far off that situation though when teams “park the bus” these days. 🥴

23 minutes ago, captainmed said:

You rarely see away fans on the pitch, but they will be on after the game.

Should they win of course….

Isn't it just as common as in home games but just on a lower scale?  Ewood, Wrexham, Accrington, can we count Crawley?!  Trying to remember if we went on at Blackpool in Freight Rover...don't think we went on at City when we won league but wasn't last game of season.  Not sure if there have been any other promotions or semi wins away from home, most in my lifetime have been at home thankfully.

39 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

The elite now have tickets

some very thoughtful folk about

2 nil win 

Glad you've got tickets, you deserve them after the miles you've put in....

But, does this mean that some BWFC supporters deliberately bought extra tickets when they went on sale?

If so, they're cunts....