Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley away 2nd leg

HomerJay

Watched the Shef Wed vs Peterborough game both teams fought for 120 minutes. Can accept that sometimes it's not your day but at the very least I expect my team to battle to the end and fight for every ball just didn't see that today!

Like many games this season we had lots of possession but lack the quality of players to make it count in the final third and have no plan B against well organised stubborn teams.

Would rather have lost 4 nil and gone down fighting, over the two legs we were passive and created little. Really disappointed to end the season on such a whimper. 

Not read any of the thread yet, just got in from the pub, so apologies if I'm repeating something that anyone who was there has said........

My mate who was there has just sent me a picture from after full time. With them lot on the pitch, our lads n lasses are arms outstretched, all still in attendance and showing as much support to our boys, stood in front of them, as they would if we'd just won. It honestly filled me with pride when I saw that picture. I fuckin love our club.

If you'd have told me at the start of the season we'd be in the playoffs having battered top of the league at Wembley to win a cup, I reckon I'd have ripped your hand off. 

WHITE ARMY!!!

40 minutes ago, BeeversLeftPeg said:

Morley nowhere near Connell last couple of games. 

Morley was fucking shite tonight and was totally fucking shite on Saturday.

Hes had a good season and flashes of brilliance, but a team fannying about at the back like us relies on an anchor midfield and someone capable of switching play upfield. Morley struggled to find a Bolton shirt over the past 2 games and was particularly crap when it mattered most. Corners, free kicks, in an and around the box...fuck all.

Hes not good enough for how we want to play. Maybe he's tired.

12 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Both my lads were in tears singing their hearts out 💙

Fuck Wembley, we'd have been outnumbered 2:1 and probably beaten. 

Fuck the championship, we'd get twatted every week and all the good feeling lost.

We go again next season.

I love Ian Evatt

And I love Bolton Wanderers.

(Even though its 1:22am and I've cunting work in the morning)

Fair play to you and your boys mate! Great support ❤️

I'll crack open one more consolation beer before bed and think of you up a ladder whilst rough as fuck in the morning. Go well my fellow wanderer 👍

Got back at 1am after a long drive and time to reflect.

A disappointing end to what has to be considered a successful season. Barnsley were better than us over 46 games and were better than us in the play-offs. 5th best in the league is what we are and that's better than last year and we won a cup.

We go again.

Superb unwavering support tonight, everyone should be proud of the part they played.

Beaten by a side that, in truth, were just... better over two legs. Would have loved a jaunt to Wembley (in Kent for a wedding Saturday so it would have been perfect), but you know what? 

- We've improved on last year (again).

- We won a cup (the first I remember, and ill never forget).

- The fans are flocking back (although, I miss my legroom tbf). 

We weren't ready for a promotion, and that's fine. We didn't perform brilliantly against a side that deserved it more, and while its disappointing, thats also, kind of, fine. We're on a journey. I love that we're in the third tier, still *trying* to play the game beautifully against cloggers like that.

The last week was shit. Really it was - for me, there's no point defending it, castigated it, or overanalysing.

But honestly, I'd rather buy into the long term project we have here; building our way back up from death's door towards something massive; than yo-yoing between tiers 2 and 3 like your Barnsleys, your Rotherhams, your wage-dodging jokers down the A58.

I'm proud as fuck of this club and what it stands for right now.... and I can't wait to see what next season will bring. No single flaccid evening in South Yorkshire will change that.

COYFWM

I'm more in agreement with the last few posts than some of the ill tempered ones just after the final whistle.

We didn't play well enough and much of that was down to playing against a well organised good side in Barnsley.

Looking forward to next season. Morley seems to have become the whipping boy at the moment, I'm sure he was being lauded not too long ago.

We go again next year, aiming for the top two spots with a club that bit healthier in all aspects, a bright young manager, team and owners who we can be proud of. 

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Both my lads were in tears singing their hearts out 💙

Fuck Wembley, we'd have been outnumbered 2:1 and probably beaten. 

Fuck the championship, we'd get twatted every week and all the good feeling lost.

We go again next season.

I love Ian Evatt

And I love Bolton Wanderers.

(Even though its 1:22am and I've cunting work in the morning)

This.

Always thought this was a season to early for us to get promoted.  We have made great strides but definately were not ready to go up, could have been a nightmare in the championship just as all seems to be going well off the pitch - record season ticket sales, new partners/sponsors, even the new digital platform etc. 

We cant fault much that is going on off the pitch to make bwfc an attractive brand and increase revenue into the club (hate using this terminology ) bit it's where we are nowadays.

Players will go and players will arrive this summer but I have every confidence we will get it right and will be up there challenging top 2 come next May.

In the words of Gary Barlow 'have a little patience '    (sorry)

Bring on next season

1 hour ago, W.cramp said:

This.

Always thought this was a season to early for us to get promoted.  We have made great strides but definately were not ready to go up, could have been a nightmare in the championship just as all seems to be going well off the pitch - record season ticket sales, new partners/sponsors, even the new digital platform etc. 

We cant fault much that is going on off the pitch to make bwfc an attractive brand and increase revenue into the club (hate using this terminology ) bit it's where we are nowadays.

Players will go and players will arrive this summer but I have every confidence we will get it right and will be up there challenging top 2 come next May.

In the words of Gary Barlow 'have a little patience '    (sorry)

Bring on next season

Rubbish! It’s never too early to go up. Do you think Coventry and Luton will be saying it’s to early for them to go in the prem? You don’t get many chances at promotion and when they do come along you grab them with both hands. I personally think this coming season will be a lot tougher for us, we have lost our 2 best players and clubs know how to play against us now. 

7 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

I bet that working man’s club cashed in last night, decent little place plenty of familiar faces in 

We went in that metrodome, they fucked up there, absolutely massive room with only 1 bar. We ended up leaving after 20mins to get a beer in the ground. 

• Site Supporter

Proud of the club this season. The fans were 1st class to the end again last night.

Ultimately though, we've been schooled at home by Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesday. Barnsley were better over 2 legs. Food for thought for Evatt.

Top 2 has to be the aim next season. Big summer ahead

7 hours ago, Arrested development said:

I just think it's too basic to say if we had an enforcer we would of beat them etc etc. 

We didn't do what we are good at well enough over two legs. We play like we play. We sign players to fit the way we play. Hopefully in the summer we will some holes and improve in the base we built this season .

I agree about the enforcer bit.

However In terms of the 'way we play' I'd prefer a manager who can adapt the to the players he has got at his disposal. (Not saying I want rid of Evatt before the pile on btw!)

Fine if this evolves over time, but Evatt's dogmatic approach to how we have to play has cost us a lot of points this season and the last two games are there for everyone to see.

To be fair he has tightened up our defence this year from last, so let's hope he knows what needs to be done in midfield and up front as we need to start consistently scoring more than 1 goal a game if we want to go straight up.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, TroySwoosh said:

Victors has a 3 year contract, we'll be starting with Charles and Victor next season

it's midfield that needs a tweak 

Am pretty sure that Sheehan, Morley and Dempsey would be the first 3 picks there unless we can find an upgrade on one of those 

It's the WB situation that is the biggest priority 

We're at our best when we have two decent attacking WBs going at it 

Like when we had John and Fossey 

And arguably our best performances this season were John and Bradley 

We need to replace Bradley, we could even potentially play Williams there, but the John situation needs resolving, either get rid or start every game as he's our best option on the left 

IE then needs to figure out how to get the best out of the team on a more regular basis 

We can play great at times but tend to struggle against the stronger teams in the league, and the shithouse teams 

We need to beat those more often if we're to go up automatically 

2 hours ago, royal white said:

Rubbish! It’s never too early to go up. Do you think Coventry and Luton will be saying it’s to early for them to go in the prem? You don’t get many chances at promotion and when they do come along you grab them with both hands. I personally think this coming season will be a lot tougher for us, we have lost our 2 best players and clubs know how to play against us now. 

Next season we are going back to the big lad up to and long ball (not measured pass) and playing off the flick ons.  Dempsey can be Nolan, we just need a big lad.

Promotion to the prem is totally different from promotion to the championship.   Even if it's the one season, the cash gained from that sorts clubs out for 2 or 3 years.   

Will chat about it next time I see you in Andy's!  

Just now, JimmyRiddle said:

I agree about the enforcer bit.

However In terms of the 'way we play' I'd prefer a manager who can adapt the to the players he has got at his disposal. (Not saying I want rid of Evatt before the pile on btw!)

Fine if this evolves over time, but Evatt's dogmatic approach to how we have to play has cost us a lot of points this season and the last two games are there for everyone to see.

To be fair he has tightened up our defence this year from last, so let's hope he knows what needs to be done in midfield and up front as we need to start consistently scoring more than 1 goal a game if we want to go straight up.

I think plan A needs tweaking a little. It's too easy to sit in and be disciplined against us. Barnsley and Ipswich are good teams that you expect to able to do it, but the likes of accy can do it effectively against us and that needs looking at. Teams are going to keep doing it if you can't find an answer. I just don't think the answer is play a different way, plan b etc. 

Evatt made the point in his post match interview that we weren't brave enough and didn't play through the middle enough. I think that is the issue. It's just regimented In our patterns of play to go wide. Sitting deep with the low block is the standard way smaller teams nullify us and it's the type of system we struggle against so we will see it a lot next season so we've plenty of chances to figure out how to beat it. 

You have to say Barnsley v Sheff Weds is the right final and they stand the best chance of cutting it in the Championship. We finished 5th, we're not quite as good as Barnsley and it showed over the 46 game season and the two legs.

We've made progress on last season and won a cup. If we carry on making that progress then it's an exciting season next year. 

Retained list next: We're going to need to be ruthless and make room for the better quality we need to add to the mix. 

Meanwhile one of Barnsley/Sheff Weds will go up and at the minute I don't see Reading, Blackpool and Wigan being as good as those two, Ipswich and Plymouth. 

Onwards and upwards. The destination on that road stretching ahead of us remains Championship football.