Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley away 2nd leg

HomerJay

• Moderators
2 hours ago, royal white said:

Rubbish! It’s never too early to go up. Do you think Coventry and Luton will be saying it’s to early for them to go in the prem? You don’t get many chances at promotion and when they do come along you grab them with both hands. I personally think this coming season will be a lot tougher for us, we have lost our 2 best players and clubs know how to play against us now. 

Aye 

We're never going to have a squad ready to play in the championship until we get promoted to the championship 

That's how we operate now, on a window by window basis 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, paulhanley said:

You have to say Barnsley v Sheff Weds is the right final and they stand the best chance of cutting it in the Championship. We finished 5th, we're not quite as good as Barnsley and it showed over the 46 game season and the two legs.

We've made progress on last season and won a cup. If we carry on making that progress then it's an exciting season next year. 

Retained list next: We're going to need to be ruthless and make room for the better quality we need to add to the mix. 

Meanwhile one of Barnsley/Sheff Weds will go up and at the minute I don't see Reading, Blackpool and Wigan being as good as those two, Ipswich and Plymouth. 

Onwards and upwards. The destination on that road stretching ahead of us remains Championship football.

Exactly

I maintain that there is room for Evattball whilst still having a couple of right big hard bastards in the team.

Barnsley didn’t beat us on talent, they beat us with intimidation and Luca Connell.

We need to impose ourselves with physicality as well as slick passing.

We do need to be around the top 2 next season. A must.

7 hours ago, Arrested development said:

I just think it's too basic to say if we had an enforcer we would of beat them etc etc. 

Just do the thing you are good at and do it well. When we do it well we beat Sunderland 6-0, peterboro 5-0, Plymouth 4-0, Wycombe 3-0 etc etc. 

We don't need a plan b or c or fucking z or lee cattermole type etc. It's just clichéd bollocks. 

We didn't do what we are good at well enough over two legs. We play like we play. We sign players to fit the way we play. Hopefully in the summer we will some holes and improve in the base we built this season .

The fact we were, by a wide margin, the lowest scorers in the playoffs (81, 80, 62, 75) shows that those games you mentioned are massive outliers and don't happen often enough for a promotion chasing side.

We used to laugh at teams who'd come away from losing to us clutching at straws about 'playing the right way'. Fact is, no neutral would've watched us over these past two games and thought 'I wish my team played like Bolton'. We had possession in areas Barnsley let us have possession because they knew we couldn't do anything with it.

Having said that, it's been a great season all in all and listening to IE's interview last night, he can see the problems. Big job to try and fix them with no Bradley and being tied into Victor & Jerome.

Still struggling with how much of a weak performance it was last night, 14 shots 3 on target over 2 games is just so poor

however yes we move on IE has a tough job now recruiting especially replacing traf & Bradley and it’s not beasting him but his attacking recruitments have been very poor this season and we’re tied into some deals so he needs to get a tune

4 hours ago, perth_white said:

I'm more in agreement with the last few posts than some of the ill tempered ones just after the final whistle.

We didn't play well enough and much of that was down to playing against a well organised good side in Barnsley.

Looking forward to next season. Morley seems to have become the whipping boy at the moment, I'm sure he was being lauded not too long ago.

We go again next year, aiming for the top two spots with a club that bit healthier in all aspects, a bright young manager, team and owners who we can be proud of. 

Exactly. This is our 1990 moment. We have recovered from a few dreadful years but are not quite ready for the championship but we will be soon and then we’ll fly👍

Morley’s form dropping off a cliff (except Bristol away) has really affected the team.

A fee sloppy passes early doors spooked the rest of the team. 

It’s also clear that others don’t trust Thomason and then suddenly we really are lacking options to progress up the pitch other than hoofing after a bit of possession at the back.

Ironically Charles is our best forward to getting it under control.

It just bounces off victor and ndlundu. Or ndlundu tries to shield it around the defender / drag back for the 5th time and loses it.

Signing those 2 is really bizarre. Neither are remotely comfortable in this system and whatever it is they need to get a goal they aren’t getting it here.

Can’t understand why we brought 2 big lumps on in the end and never got the ball into the mixer to cause a bit of panic . Every other team in the world does it when you need a goal in a situation like that . And we’re going sideways 

Nice season, gained our respectability a club, some good players but a constant theme of ...

1. Pretty, but not incisive. 

2. Too slow to convert possession into chances. 

3. Missed too many chances.

4. Too easily bullied.

5. No enforcer.

Maybe 2&3, 4&5 are essentially the same. 

Certainly Evatt’s buys in January didn't match up to those of the two previous January windows.

We start next season in a decent place but need 2 keepers, a right back, a tough midfielder and a striker to join Dion up front.

13 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

The fact we were, by a wide margin, the lowest scorers in the playoffs (81, 80, 62, 75) shows that those games you mentioned are massive outliers and don't happen often enough for a promotion chasing side.

We used to laugh at teams who'd come away from losing to us clutching at straws about 'playing the right way'. Fact is, no neutral would've watched us over these past two games and thought 'I wish my team played like Bolton'. We had possession in areas Barnsley let us have possession because they knew we couldn't do anything with it.

Having said that, it's been a great season all in all and listening to IE's interview last night, he can see the problems. Big job to try and fix them with no Bradley and being tied into Victor & Jerome.

I agree about the scoring goals part, and when you consider Dion has 15,16, how ever many league goals he got, there's not many from everyone else. That's an area where we need to improve.

But it's a double edged sword. Part of the reason our defensive record was joint best in the league is we have so much possession that teams don't have the ball long enough to create chances against us. 

Were a victim of our own success. Teams used to press us high and we'd beat it and run riot. Now teams respect us so sit deeper and we haven't figured out how to play against this effectively and we end up with 70 percent possession and no shots on target. 

But it's a work in progress. City used to have this problem. We don't have 100 million to sign Jack grealish etc but we need to work out how to beat teams that do this.  Once you start to score and create against teams that sit deep, you make them have to come out and attack and that opens it up. 

Barnsley created fuck all proper chances last night. They scored from a cross, they had shots outside the box, they crossed it at every opportunity, they long balled and went back to front all the time. They used the long throw every time they had a chance. It was just pressure. It's basic. I'd hate to watch that every week. It's just get it in the mixer football that will see them get relegated in the championship. Fuck the long throw long ball Yorkshire cunts. 

I'd rather watch us actually try and become league one city than resort to the type of football that I played when I was 12 on a Sunday. 

15 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Can’t understand why we brought 2 big lumps on in the end and never got the ball into the mixer to cause a bit of panic . Every other team in the world does it when you need a goal in a situation like that . And we’re going sideways 

Brought on plan B players and Evatt mustn’t of instructed those on the pitch to lump it in. Anyhow saved us the pain of extra time, pens and possibly wasting money going to Wembley to lose. 

Realistically we haven’t been in good form performance wise since Wembley. 

1 defeat in 10 though in the league shows that even when not at our best we have more than enough against the majority of the league. But you can’t Just turn performance levels up. Especially in such a high pressured scenario as the play offs

whilst there has been progress since last season we have come up against 4 better sides (3 of which had ridiculous consistency and amassed an almost record number of points) 

the January window didn’t do what was expected of it and overall we just ran out of steam and probably ideas

big summer ahead. Key players going and the leap from 5th to autos will be bigger than finishing 9th last season to 5th this. 

Overall an enjoyable season. I think we finished exactly where everyone would’ve expected. Personally looking forward to a bit of a break and let the optimism build again for next season 

3 hours ago, royal white said:

Rubbish! It’s never too early to go up. Do you think Coventry and Luton will be saying it’s to early for them to go in the prem? You don’t get many chances at promotion and when they do come along you grab them with both hands. I personally think this coming season will be a lot tougher for us, we have lost our 2 best players and clubs know how to play against us now. 

Spot on. 

Their goal was BS, comes from a second phase of a FK where Toal gets his ankle clipped yet they benefit from a wrong decision in such a season defining game but don't help ourselves with the defending... 9 of our lads, not one gets out to stop the cross & all just wait for them to put a ball into our box. Not saying that's the reason we lost though, 180 minutes with like one shot on target across both legs shows we were far too safe & pedestrian in possession we didn't show one bit of urgency. Barnsley weren't much better by any means but they're always a threat from long throws & putting the ball in your box at every opportunity, where we're hell bent on scoring a perfect goal. It is what it is, it ain't been a bad season at all in fact it's been very progressive season I think most would have accepted a cup win at Wembley & a top 6 spot before the season so we've made bigger strides from last season. JDB getting injured really fucked us from Jan onwards, he was flying with Dion as the front two where as Kachunga/Dan/Victor/Shola/Jerome no matter who plays up top they just simply haven't cut the mustard when we needed one of them to really step up for some sort of consistency. Evatt knows the problem, he acknowledged it post match our defence has been great this season but we've lacked goals we scored like half less than Ipswich all season & 10 of them came in two back to back games. We need to really hit the ground running with these summer signings so we ain't playing catch up in Jan like we have been doing, if Argyle can win the league then we bloody can.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, SeanyUK said:

Watched the Shef Wed vs Peterborough game both teams fought for 120 minutes. Can accept that sometimes it's not your day but at the very least I expect my team to battle to the end and fight for every ball just didn't see that today!

Im not too downcast, in fact im totally chilled, so im not up for post mortems, but ill just throw this in

Theres two teams on the pitch and they were too good for us

There was no lack of effort, we just didnt have the nous to break em down

Our main attacking strength is right side through bradley and once again they had licence to bring him down with no fear

Sheff weds are miles better than boro, it was shit on their part to get in the hole they got out of

Barnsley are a very difficult team...its no accident they finished above us

Im not ruling them out

My point...i dunno

Other than sometimes you can lose and its nowt to do with a lack of effort

We beat ourselves last night. 0 shots in a play off semi final 2nd leg can’t be argued in any other way. 

They were no great shakes and looked on the ropes for quite sometime against a team that couldn’t attack.

I think it’s clear I’m not mad (or really dislike) Evatt but I hope to Christ he realises his mistakes this campaign because there have been plenty. He strikes me as a learn the hard way type. Hopefully I’m wrong. See it as a positive that Bradley goes as I think we need to try another way to play.

Fans were top draw last night and did our part other than suck the ball in (we’d of needed a shot on target)

38 minutes ago, Arrested development said:

I agree about the scoring goals part, and when you consider Dion has 15,16, how ever many league goals he got, there's not many from everyone else. That's an area where we need to improve.

But it's a double edged sword. Part of the reason our defensive record was joint best in the league is we have so much possession that teams don't have the ball long enough to create chances against us. 

Were a victim of our own success. Teams used to press us high and we'd beat it and run riot. Now teams respect us so sit deeper and we haven't figured out how to play against this effectively and we end up with 70 percent possession and no shots on target. 

But it's a work in progress. City used to have this problem. We don't have 100 million to sign Jack grealish etc but we need to work out how to beat teams that do this.  Once you start to score and create against teams that sit deep, you make them have to come out and attack and that opens it up. 

Barnsley created fuck all proper chances last night. They scored from a cross, they had shots outside the box, they crossed it at every opportunity, they long balled and went back to front all the time. They used the long throw every time they had a chance. It was just pressure. It's basic. I'd hate to watch that every week. It's just get it in the mixer football that will see them get relegated in the championship. Fuck the long throw long ball Yorkshire cunts. 

I'd rather watch us actually try and become league one city than resort to the type of football that I played when I was 12 on a Sunday. 

Completely agree. Evatt said in the post match interview that he wants to play his way and it takes time. Seen enough hoofball and it’s shit. I want us to be a slick machine and if it takes a bit longer then so be it

2 minutes ago, superkev said:

Completely agree. Evatt said in the post match interview that he wants to play his way and it takes time. Seen enough hoofball and it’s shit. I want us to be a slick machine and if it takes a bit longer then so be it

Genuinely hope his way is evolving from the guff served up last night. 

1 minute ago, Big E said:

68% of the ball and no shots in target. evatt ball needs to change as that's shite

He’s aware we’ve not scored enough goals. He admitted that. It’s about evolving and tweaking not just suddenly ripping up your principles and shithousing our way out of this league. Been there, seen that and it’s boring

10 hours ago, Eavesy said:

Randell Williams is not a footballer. 

That’s like saying the number one serial poster of total bullshit and contradiction is not in the building trade.

Some kind of Manager yet finds enormous amounts of time to post constantly on here during normal working hours.

As i’ve said before, true colours shown once again last night.

Water finds its own level and I sincerely hope that you fuck off soon as most do and maybe spend more time with your family and do some fucking work. 

• Moderators
Just now, superkev said:

He’s aware we’ve not scored enough goals. He admitted that. It’s about evolving and tweaking not just suddenly ripping up your principles and shithousing our way out of this league. Been there, seen that and it’s boring

Im getting older, maybe its that, but i agree

Its not there yet, but i like watching us play

I like attending the games

We win plenty and yet folk would rip it all up, ffs

Just get better at it