Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Barnsley away 2nd leg

HomerJay

29 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I think there's quite a bit of pressure on IE next season. And certainly on the recruitment team over the summer.

... & rightly so.

They have points in the bag & deserve a bit of tolerance, but must get it right this time.

19 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Its a lot nearer hoofball than our building from the back passing game.

And they are a lot nearer where we want to be.

What we played last night (and in more than a handful of games since January) was shite football and every bit as bad to watch as the worse Megson days or whatever. You can't just brand yourself 'the good footballing team' and use that as a crutch when you get beat.

Building from the back last night amounted to Rico standing still with the ball at his feet and knocking it to Toal. Plan B when that didn't work was lumping it down the line and losing it. Plan C was throwing every striker on in no particular formation... and still passing it around the back with no midfield.

I'm not advocating ripping it up or Evatt abandoning how he wants to play, but we do need get our heads out of own arses about how noble we are for playing the way we do. 

7 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

What we played last night (and in more than a handful of games since January) was shite football and every bit as bad to watch as the worse Megson days or whatever. You can't just brand yourself 'the good footballing team' and use that as a crutch when you get beat.

Building from the back last night amounted to Rico standing still with the ball at his feet and knocking it to Toal. Plan B when that didn't work was lumping it down the line and losing it. Plan C was throwing every striker on in no particular formation... and still passing it around the back with no midfield.

I'm not advocating ripping it up or Evatt abandoning how he wants to play, but we do need get our heads out of own arses about how noble we are for playing the way we do. 

Bravo sir, bravo. Nail on head 👏

7 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

As much as what i've said previously. Is Evatt's brand of football right to get us out of Div 1.

1 hour ago, captainmed said:

That’s like saying the number one serial poster of total bullshit and contradiction is not in the building trade.

Some kind of Manager yet finds enormous amounts of time to post constantly on here during normal working hours.

As i’ve said before, true colours shown once again last night.

Water finds its own level and I sincerely hope that you fuck off soon as most do and maybe spend more time with your family and do some fucking work. 

hahahahaha

As poor as we have been in the play offs it's been a descent season.Last night looked to be a mixture of nervousness and fatigue.Maybe  the papa cup took more out of us than we realise.Roll on next season coyfwm 

4 minutes ago, L/H White said:

great seeing loads of weirdos off here last night, a right good night spoilt by the 90 minutes

Doing what you do best at half time. I had to spend 5 minutes explaining to Sam’s lad you were on a wind up ha.

I was proud of our fans last night staying  on singing at the top of our voices whilst they were celebrating on the pitch. 

We were second best over the two games but did put up a little fight in the second half but lacked quality to create chances.

in terms of our squad we lost Traff and Bradley and the ones who we brought in January have been shocking. The next transfer window is crucial if we intend to go one better and go up next season.

We need another solid keeper; two wing backs; another central midfielder of quality and two strikers because the ones we have got are poor 

6 key signings and we could seriously challenge next season but if they are as bad as January we will struggle for sure.

Hope Barnsley get battered against Wednesday because Wednesday will be much more a threat next season.

like many have said it’s been a good season and our numbers are growing. 

Be going a lot more next season so have a good summer everyone and keep well until we go again in August

COYWM 

13 hours ago, 1969 said:

Tonight we proved we are not ready to go up.IE will know what needs to be addressed and will sort it.We are getting better season on season and I see no reason why it will not continue.Next season HMS PISS THE LEAGUE 

I think its a stretch to say that team has improved on last season, comparing January onwards for both seasons.  And I'm not talking about points won, just the confidence of whether we can beat the better teams. I'd love to think our improvement of the last few years has continued, but in my heart of hearts I know we've gone backwards in the 2nd half of the season and the first aim has to be to get back to the levels we achieved  in the 2022 calendar year.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I think its a stretch to say that team has improved on last season, comparing January onwards for both seasons.  And I'm not talking about points won, just the confidence of whether we can beat the better teams. I'd love to think our improvement of the last few years has continued, but in my heart of hearts I know we've gone backwards in the 2nd half of the season and the first aim has to be to get back to the levels we achieved  in the 2022 calendar year.

Scratching my head here,January onwards is only part of a season and if finishing higher in the league is not an improvement well I need to go back to school 

• Moderators

End of last season I was confident we could challenge for promotion and lumped on it 

Less convinced at the end of this season with some of the performances and with certain players leaving and likely to leave 

There's a decent spine but it needs some high quality adding if we're to play more like we did at end of Jan/Feb than what we did in march/April

20 minutes ago, gonzo said:

If only there was some kind of league system to track such information.

They could also introduce games in a knock out winners takes all scenario. Probably most useful if you are the one of the 40+ teams that actually win it but still a decent guide. 

l was going to write to the football league people with your idea but not sure what you would call it. In my idea the winners would get a cup or a trophy or some kind of memento so you could that a memento competition maybe ? 

5 minutes ago, Ani said:

They could also introduce games in a knock out winners takes all scenario. Probably most useful if you are the one of the 40+ teams that actually win it but still a decent guide. 

l was going to write to the football league people with your idea but not sure what you would call it. In my idea the winners would get a cup or a trophy or some kind of memento so you could that a memento competition maybe ? 

Make it simpler; whichever team had most possession over 46 games wins the league.

7 minutes ago, globaldiver said:

Make it simpler; whichever team had most possession over 46 games wins the league.

Surely attendances and miles travelled to away games and budgets need to be factored in

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

You can certainly play good football and get out the league but the players who can do this cost.

I'd suggest Ipswich are everything Evatt is striving for at this level

Exactly what I think mate.

We need a much better midfield, Morley I think is held in such a high regard because he can play an odd wonder pass or goal, yet his passing is poor, he ghosts in most matches, his corners are poor 9/10 and doesn't put himself about or dominate matches.

I'd put Dempsey in there and bring 2 new ones around him.

Our defence is strong and that's not the issue, for me our main 2 areas of improvement are:

1) Have a midfield that is capable of playing the way Evatt wants us to, that means being able to deal with a pressing shithouse team (Barnsley, Wycombe types etc) Being confident when pressed and not playing to predictable and safe with the passing.

2) Score more goals. We haven't scored enough goals this season to get promoted simple, when you look at how many scored by our rivals we are so far behind, the defence is keeping us there. Possession style warrants patience, however Ipswich scored 100+ goals this season averaging 60% possession, whatever they did, we need to try and emulate. Yes they had bigger budget, but still, it's more than possible.

Charles,Victor & Bod(when fit) on paper should be getting us goals, but I think we need more from across the team, there is such a gap between Charles and the rest, midfield again hasn't contributed enough.

Edited by Lostock Whites

1 hour ago, Biggish Dave said:

You can certainly play good football and get out the league but the players who can do this cost.

I'd suggest Ipswich are everything Evatt is striving for at this level

Ipswich have spent a fuck load of money last few seasons

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ipswich-town/transfers/verein/677/plus/?saison_id=2021&pos=&detailpos=&w_s=

(you can change the dates for other years) 

Our Board have always said will only spend what we can afford and I do think the Ipswich model is in our reach. 
Hopefully division will be weaker next season , if Weds go up that will be nearly 300 points 'leaving' the teams coming down look nothing special and Derby might not spend much.