Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Retain/Release?

TrickyTrotter

14 hours ago, W.cramp said:

Is there a date as such that this needs to be announced or can it just roll through summer?

Just found this.   Must be announced by Tuesday!

This year that deadline falls on Saturday, May 20, while clubs who reach the play-offs must submit their retained lists four days after their last match.

4 hours ago, Cheese said:

But they weren't good enough to get us up this year.

Yes its annoying when people generalise about players based on the performance of the team.  I heard people saying Maddison can't be international class because Leicester are struggling; he'd improve most teams in the Prem except City.  Flip side is players get "promotion" or "title" in their CV and are considered to be better than those that didn't have such fortune, so Allbrighton can claim to be better than Gerrard if we're just talking about titles.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Zico said:

Might as well fuck him off, evatt spent most the season looking to play anyone but him

And rightly fucking so. Cant stand it when we have players who don’t care for our club. Fucking off on his last (probably) game without so much as a wave to our fans.

He’s a bad egg that one. Never settled anywhere - there must be a reason for that. 

He’ll be another Sarcevic when he goes, slagging us off - he’s already done it once with a quickly deleted tweet.

9 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Not surprised and not disappointed. Worked hard but i'd expect that from anyone. Ultimately though, if we want progress, we need better players and some strikers who actually score goals

Couldn't agree more.

We can't also get too emotional with players, they are there to do a job, kachunga as a forward for us is not what we require to go up a level.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

Not surprised and not disappointed. Worked hard but i'd expect that from anyone. Ultimately though, if we want progress, we need better players and some strikers who actually score goals

I agree.

Watch this space for the others... Isgrove and Dixon surely are definites to go.

The others, JDB/Sheehan/MJ/Lee more debatable….

9 minutes ago, desperado said:

I agree.

Watch this space for the others... Isgrove and Dixon surely are definites to go.

The others, JDB/Sheehan/MJ/Lee more debatable….

feel like we will retain all of those last ones. 

If Jerome and Victor had lit up the place then letting JDB go would’ve been an easy decision as he seems too injury prone but even with the injuries he still seems our most complete forward and best partner to Charles.

Sheehans done enough to earn a new deal although I wouldn’t be gutted to see him leave.

No issue keeping Lee on while we’re in League 1 but wouldn’t keep him for the championship and maybe should be focusing on developing a younger player now.

would’ve released MJ if he hadn’t shown his versatility to play in defence. Not a midfielder for us anymore really unless we want to shut up shop for the last 10 mins 

I wonder how many had a sniff of this before the 2nd leg?  It crossed my mind that if I was in Kachunga's or Sheehan's shoes, the thing most on my mind last week would have been "me and my family need to know if I'm staying", not "can we get BWFC to Wembley" which would delay the answer another 10 days.  In that respect I sympathise, if my work contract was running out now I'd at least want to know if its going to be renewed so that I can look elsewhere before all the best opportunities get snapped up.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mantra said:

feel like we will retain all of those last ones. 

If Jerome and Victor had lit up the place then letting JDB go would’ve been an easy decision as he seems too injury prone but even with the injuries he still seems our most complete forward and best partner to Charles.

Sheehans done enough to earn a new deal although I wouldn’t be gutted to see him leave.

No issue keeping Lee on while we’re in League 1 but wouldn’t keep him for the championship and maybe should be focusing on developing a younger player now.

would’ve released MJ if he hadn’t shown his versatility to play in defence. Not a midfielder for us anymore really unless we want to shut up shop for the last 10 mins 

I agree.

Although my faith in IE/Markham means if all were released I wouldn’t be criticising, they would be looking to replace with better.

For me, JDB another year to see if he can keep injury free and get his form back. 

I’d be amazed if none of the midfielders weren’t offered contracts. 

The end of the day will give us an indication. If the club/players/agents haven’t released a goodbye message the natural assumption will be they’ve been offered a contract.

Whether they’ll accept them or not might not be as quick.  

Given that we know we need 2 goalkeepers, 2 wingbacks and a striker or 2 (losing Ndululu and Kachunga), it will be surprising if 3 "first team" midfielders leave also (discounting Isgrove).

That would be a statement that we really are having a huge overhaul of the squad.

2 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

I would definitely keep Sheehan, MJ for his versatility and Thomasson. I think Lee and Bod are too injury prone which is a great shame because their quality is not in question.

I keep hearing about Lee being injury prone but without checking he seems to be have been available for about 90% of games?  I'd say he's one of the less injured players in our squad this season, someone will probably have stats on how many times players have been in the squad but he must be in the top half? 

Comes across as a top guy & did work very hard but apart from the final goal at Wembley there weren't much to write home about. I get his pressing was one of his best attributes but let's face it 2 goals in 70 is just not good enough especially in this third tier. As always wish him well for his future, hopefully he finds a good club & a place to enjoy playing football.  Seeing way too much fake sadness over it on Twitter though most of them acting like we've released a club legend like Jussi or SKD 🙃

26 minutes ago, desperado said:

For me, JDB another year to see if he can keep injury free and get his form back. 

I don't think its realistic to expect a 31 year old to accept a 1 year deal especially in a league where he's one of the better players.  From day one in August he's probably already wondering if he'll get another contract 9 months later.

I'd give him 2 years personally because I think he's been unlucky with mainly freak injuries, but I don't have to justify it financially so respect whatever the club decides.

But if we offer one year there's no way he'll be signing it until he's explored all other avenues (IMO).

12 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Keeping Thomason is a no-brainer, unless he's got somewhere else lined up. He's only 22, getting better all the time, and has a great attitude by all accounts.

He’s not good enough. There are plenty of 22 year olds with a great attitude, doesn’t mean you’d have them in the squad. “Getting better” is probably correct, albeit from a low bar - he’s a national league / league 2 player and if we want to go up then we need a better quality of player within the wider squad (not just the first 11).

I’d keep Sheehan and get rid of Lee (sadly), MJ and Thomason. Gives us Morley, Dempsey and Sheehan and then we need to add some proper depth and quality.