Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Retain/Release?

TrickyTrotter

Dan got 4 in a season and a half for a Cheltenham side that ‘didn’t create much’ and ‘hardly had any of the ball’ 

in the meantime May got around 35 in the same period… 

We aren’t challenging for the autos with the former. We would with the latter 

1 minute ago, barrycowdrill said:

Dan got 4 in a season and a half for a Cheltenham side that ‘didn’t create much’ and ‘hardly had any of the ball’ 

Hasn’t May signed a new contract ? 

3 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

One thing for sure is the person(s) who recommended Dan, Victor, Jerome and Shoretire should be sacked

Come on mate. Theyve really not been that bad.

Shoretire is about 12 and Jerome 45. 

The other two have just been alright. Work in progress on Vin. Injuries and thrown in to a different role. He will come good him.

Randell seems to be becoming the new Kachunga on Twitter especially. Because his first couple of games were poor, people have got it into their heads that Declan John is streets ahead of him, which really isn’t the case. They’re both decent without being amazing.

John seems to be a bit of a moody bugger though, maybe Randell has got a better attitude 

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Nowt wrong with Randell. Reckon he'll be another one who exceeds expectations after a pre-season.

I think having Bradley on the other side clouds peoples thinking.

Hes ok. 

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Apart from a few occasions Randell just doesn’t move forward with the ball, he asks for the ball but then plays back majority of the time, if he’s to be the guy on the left he needs to be more creative

its like with Vic he needs a good pre season  and hopefully kick on 

I think Randell will play on the right next season.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

I think having Bradley on the other side clouds peoples thinking.

Hes ok. 

I don't think that's anything to do with it.  Its not that he's never done anything decent - occasionally we see what he's got unlike Vic for eg - but its just that he doesn't seem an IE type player.  Whoever's on the pitch, it feels like we have 10 players all playing to a pattern, knowing their jobs, good body language, clearly motivated, aggressive in and out of possession, and then there's Randall who seems to do his own thing, or do the least that is acceptable.  I've nothing against him and if he improves great, but I'm just surprised IE sees a player in him. 

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Apart from a few occasions Randell just doesn’t move forward with the ball, he asks for the ball but then plays back majority of the time, if he’s to be the guy on the left he needs to be more creative

its like with Vic he needs a good pre season  and hopefully kick on 

Agreed with that but on Vic and pre-season, its going to be a heck of a training session that transforms him 😃

Joking aside, the jury will probably be out all season, it won't be black and white whether or not he has "come good" unless he scores 20.  If he scores 8 or 9, maybe 1 a month, there will be arguments that he's justified his place - Kachunga didn't score and he still had plenty of support, so there'll probably never be an agreement on if he's worth a regular starting place.

2 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

Not neccesarily advocating going back in for Dan, but Evatt compared him to Ivan Toney. Toney was being shit at Wigan at around the same age Dan was when he was at Cheltenham. May is a fair bit older.

2 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

Not neccesarily advocating going back in for Dan, but Evatt compared him to Ivan Toney. Toney was being shit at Wigan at around the same age Dan was when he was at Cheltenham. May is a fair bit older.

The thing with Nlundulu is he's a bit older than he seems

At the same age, Toney had just signed for Brentford after scoring 40 in 76 in the third tier

I think there's a plaher there and Evatt seems very keen but he's not exactly a young pup either

I agree with IE that there’s definitely a player in there with Dan and if he can mould him into our style of play he could be a good one but he’s still got another year left at Southampton and I wouldn’t want to loan him again, turn him into the next Toney then find we can’t afford him, or he walks away to a better offer which is always the problem with loans.

18 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The thing with Nlundulu is he's a bit older than he seems

At the same age, Toney had just signed for Brentford after scoring 40 in 76 in the third tier

I think there's a plaher there and Evatt seems very keen but he's not exactly a young pup either

I'm obviously not suggesting he's the next Toney, but of course he doesn't have to be to be good for us.

I wouldn't be up in arms either way. I get the mystery box element of having someone totally new in on loan, but equally Dan and Shola clearly have some ability so why not give them a full pre-season learning Evatt-ball?

2 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

I've no particular opinion of Dan, what will be will be, but he's 24 and he's scored 7 goals in 56 games. 

I get that Toney was a relatively late developer, but he'd scored 11 for Northampton before he was 20 and another 24 in the next 3 years before he took off at Posh.  He'd scored 76 by the time he was 24 (pre-Brentford).

4 hours ago, Horwich said:

Good luck to Adam senior and the rest of the B team players who have been released. 

It might not be much consolation to him if he doesnt get sorted at some level or other but he was front and centre of probably one of the most important seasons we've ever had so wish him all the best.