Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Retain/Release?


TrickyTrotter

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

With funds being short I don’t think we can afford another forward, nor do I believe we need one. It amuses me when some claim Bod to be injury prone when prior to his ankle injury he had no record of being so and has shown in recent performances that he’s near peak fitness so it’s almost like having a new player. Midfield looks brill to me and defensively the only potential weakness is LWB so any money we do have I’d spend there.

Millwall fan I know reckons he was injury prone whilst there 

Not long term stuff but lots of niggly stuff

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, jmjhb said:

Plymouth brought 3 or 4 in last January that are now playing at a higher level, we should look to adopt a similar approach

Purchases or loans?

Being at the top would have helped them attract the right sort of player for a good bash at the championship. 

That's why I'd like to be top two by the time the window opens, or at least close enough to convince prospective signings that we're going up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Purchases or loans?

Being at the top would have helped them attract the right sort of player for a good bash at the championship. 

That's why I'd like to be top two by the time the window opens, or at least close enough to convince prospective signings that we're going up.

3 purchases in Jan. 2 full-season loans which were made permanently, and another extended

You'd imagine Oxford and Pompey would be thinking similar but we're in a very good bargaining position currently.

Edited by jmjhb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

3 purchases in Jan. 2 full-season loans which were made permanently, and another extended

You'd imagine Oxford and Pompey would be thinking similar but we're in a very good bargaining position currently.

Cheers.

Keep in there and we should be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

We have enough in our squad throw in the standard of this years league & we will should get automatic promotion

what happens with transfers who knows if we get promoted it will be interesting to see what FV plan is 

I'm wondering if the Swiss investors would become more influencial

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Always thought it’s a possibility that FV would be looking to sell if we get to the Championship given the money spent on building the infrastructure and fanbase ahead of the squad.

They've stated their aim in the past is to be a sustainable championship club, so suspect if we get to that point they will review their options, can't imagine they will back us for a PL charge and if we get their under them it will be on a budget like Luton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Zico said:

They've stated their aim in the past is to be a sustainable championship club, so suspect if we get to that point they will review their options, can't imagine they will back us for a PL charge and if we get their under them it will be on a budget like Luton

Sharon said, a couple of seasons ago, that if we got to the Championship the club would need new investors. Also said that she would take great care as to who & she'd work with them if that worked or move on if it didn't.

When Eddie & Gartside hockey themselves around the globe seeking investors we were on a Downward slide with huge known debts & I suspect much more. No-one was interested.

Now we'd be a quite different proposition. Reasonably low debt, a spirited club getting 20,000+ average gates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Reasonably low.

I agree Dr, it would be reasonably low given the standard we’d be at in the Championship and no doubt that would be taken into account with any selling price. I’d hope though that rather than selling they’d look for new investors to join the party. If we did make the Championship though would we settle for just that or would we expect a push for the PL? I certainly would as long as it’s done sustainably.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's natural to want to develop. So getting into the Championship is a goal. Given our size, fan base & facilities Second Tier is our comfort point.

I'd certainly be happy to get there, settle & be mid table for a while. Though I can see we'd be stretched to look to the Premiership, at least to stay, I'd then want to be challenging for it.

We've seen struggling clubs establish themselves there with solid funding and a very good scouting & coaching set-up. Brighton currently. We've seen the yo-yo clubs. The benefit to that stress is access to the big money & parachute money following.

For now, the sheer respect gained by mid-table Championship would do for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

It's natural to want to develop. So getting into the Championship is a goal. Given our size, fan base & facilities Second Tier is our comfort point.

I'd certainly be happy to get there, settle & be mid table for a while. Though I can see we'd be stretched to look to the Premiership, at least to stay, I'd then want to be challenging for it.

We've seen struggling clubs establish themselves there with solid funding and a very good scouting & coaching set-up. Brighton currently. We've seen the yo-yo clubs. The benefit to that stress is access to the big money & parachute money following.

For now, the sheer respect gained by mid-table Championship would do for me.

Brighton are a real one-off, they are also in massive debt, much more than we ever were. It is all owed to their owner and as we found out if they decide the well is dry things can fall apart. Not sure anyone survives 
 

https://www.sportingnews.com/uk/football/news/who-owns-brighton-tony-bloom-net-worth-value-owner-paid/lypjvrho9dzpbvfnjtitpust#:~:text=Brighton club value&text=However%2C the club recorded losses,in debt at that point.

You really need serious money to compete in there 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_owners_of_English_football_clubs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter

It's a valid point that they are in debt, though it is also positive that they turned a profit recently. 

Perhaps similarities with city there- invest heavily up top and gradually start to make money from many different streams.

I think Brighton's success is more directly linked to the owner's company too, which in turn helps illustrate the quality of that company, thus keeping it successful in all its areas. One boosts the other.

In our case, I don't think us getting to the Premier league sold any more kettle/units for Strix.

Presumably, should Brighton, like others lose enough money and breach regulations, then they will lose points too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

All these vague references to our 'reasonable' level of debt.

Chris Custard and the Sluffster would eat @Whitesince63 for breakfast for pontificating on our balance sheet but not being on top of the detail. 

I wince a little bit every time someone posts their usernames just in case they're reading and it summons them

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

All these vague references to our 'reasonable' level of debt.

Chris Custard and the Sluffster would eat @Whitesince63 for breakfast for pontificating on our balance sheet but not being on top of the detail. 

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23449842.bolton-wanderers-release-financial-accounts-year-ending-june-2022/

A snap shot from last year.

Had further investments/share issues since then, plus the bind scheme.

What that actually means- dunno.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.