Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Evatt 3 years in

tomski

He is arrogant, he chats shit and is stubborn. But so was Big Sam and so are a lot of good managers. I think it's possible that in the future he Nathan Jones's himself - gets a big job, says some daft things in press conferences and becomes a laughing stock.

But for us, I'm very happy with the job he's doing. I'm enjoying the stability of an ownership, manager and fans all on the same page and moving in the right direction. 

I think promotion is too high a bar for next season, with so many variables. As long as we're up there and competing I'll be happy.

Interesting consensus of opinion so far and some decent debate without anyone being a snowflake or gammon😂

Happy to be in the minority and as stated before, if I’m wrong it’s good for us all. 

I don’t understand the links with top managers and Sam. For me he isn’t there yet. 

Glad he’s signed for another 3 years,yes he's made mistakes but haven't we all just hope he learns from them.The club needed a massive overhaul when he 1st came, it can't be done overnight,he'll get my backing but I think next season is massive for him as alot of fans will expect top 2

3 minutes ago, tomski said:

Interesting consensus of opinion so far and some decent debate without anyone being a snowflake or gammon😂

Happy to be in the minority and as stated before, if I’m wrong it’s good for us all. 

I don’t understand the links with top managers and Sam. For me he isn’t there yet. 

I can see the comparison with Sam but I agree he's not there yet and I hope he doesn't end up like him as in leaving the club under the same circumstances and bitterness 

7 minutes ago, tomski said:

Think you’ve been spot on mate 

31 minutes ago, tomski said:

He’s got a long way to go before he’s a SA however Sam was at it a long time before BWFC and had a lot more experience and a fair amount of failures.

Just checked and Sam had 8 years experience as a manager before he got the BWFC job. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

18 minutes ago, 1969 said:

I can see the comparison with Sam but I agree he's not there yet and I hope he doesn't end up like him as in leaving the club under the same circumstances and bitterness 

I think the fact there will be bitterness when he leaves is nailed on, he's just that kind of character. And our fans aren't exactly the most reasonable (Luca Connell being the most recent example).

The 3 year deal, the off-field stuff, the quotes about him being a Premier League manager will all be thrown back in his face if he fucks off to Hull or wherever in a year or so. And he won't be shy about responding to it.

Hopefully we have at least one more promotion in us before it comes to that.

26 minutes ago, tomski said:

Spot on

He really believes we are better than we are and his style of play is the best in this league.

saying that he is as good as we will get as managers go but next season is pivotal and the recruitment needs to be much better than the shower of shit we brought in the January window or we will go backwards 

Just now, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Spot on

He really believes we are better than we are and his style of play is the best in this league.

saying that he is as good as we will get as managers go but next season is pivotal and the recruitment needs to be much better than the shower of shit we brought in the January window or we will go backwards 

Another post spot on

not only does his recruitment have to be bang on but he needs to get a tune out of Jerome , vic & Randall which a good pre season might do 

This big game thing...

We were not just beaten by teams that probably had a right to beat us?

Plymouth and Ipswich beat everyone. Sheff Werent far behind. Derby was a bit shit Ill give you them.

The only fact that matters is finishing 5th. A totally respectable league position given where we've come from and the budgets we've been up against.

Couldn't give two shits what he says in interviews. Who the hell listens to them anyway.

23 minutes ago, gonzo said:

This big game thing...

We were not just beaten by teams that probably had a right to beat us?

Plymouth and Ipswich beat everyone. Sheff Werent far behind. Derby was a bit shit Ill give you them.

The only fact that matters is finishing 5th. A totally respectable league position given where we've come from and the budgets we've been up against.

Couldn't give two shits what he says in interviews. Who the hell listens to them anyway.

cheese does, loves posting the links to all that stuff

• Moderators

So far so good 

We've progressed year on year 

The way we finished last season I expected us to finish top 6 and we did, PJ was a pleasent bonus 

The club's ambition is to be in the championship and his is to manage us at a higher level 

So iI'd now say it's down to the club to back him to strengthen the squad this summer and for him to mount a sustained challenge for the top two 

We may not make it but next season we need to show we can beat the teams also fancied for the top two and those shithouse teams down at the bottom away from home  

The way we finished I'm not so sure but we've got a summer to prepare the squad for a top two push 

Which looking at the squad is a big job 

But that's the marker they've set so bring it on

Big season coming up for me evatt.  Am sure we once were told there was a planned timescale and the coming season was for promotion to the championship.  

I think we have to be looking at a top 2 finish and  if not achieved then questions will be asked within FV,  also the fans who will surely be more expectant this time.

How many 1st team starters do we think we will be looking to sign ?     I'd say 6 and so let's hope he gets the backing of FV to be able to get the higher quality players we can see we need.

Evatt is improving us year on year on a limited budget plus we have a well defined style that is good on the eye.

He is doing all the things that our previous six managers failed to do and were criticised for. Hill (no logical playing style or plan), Parkinson, Megson (results only style), Freedman (no improvement), Lennon (could not work on a tight budget). Evatt has done all those things and more. Very short memories on here.

3 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Evatt is improving us year on year on a limited budget plus we have a well defined style that is good on the eye.

He is doing all the things that our previous six managers failed to do and were criticised for. Hill (no logical playing style or plan), Parkinson, Megson (results only style), Freedman (no improvement), Lennon (could not work on a tight budget). Evatt has done all those things and more. Very short memories on here.

Forgot to mention Coyle. Awful recruitment when we went down and wasted his budget on total dross like Keith Andrews and Matt wotshisface from Leicester. 

7 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Forgot to mention Coyle. Awful recruitment when we went down and wasted his budget on total dross like Keith Andrews and Matt wotshisface from Leicester. 

Agree with all of that and I'm firmly Team Evatt but I do think the coming season needs to be targeting/achieving automatic promotion.

If a manager is performing to or over performing with respect to budget I'm not sure how much more you can expect. If Wednesday are promoted then 2 of the big budget clubs are gone and the ones coming down won't be competitive in that regard. So I'd be expecting us and Derby to be up at the top end of the division. 

So I'd expect a real go at automatic this season but if that doesn't appear then I'll still be Team Evatt unless things massively deteriorates and he starts acting like a loon.

• Site Supporter

These comments seem perfectly sensible to me, and don't suggest in the slightest that he's thinking "above his station".

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23537442.bolton-wanderers-boss-ian-evatt-no-plans-change-playing-style/

“I am a perfectionist,” he said. “We have done well this season and it has been good progress but I want to do more, I want to achieve more. This hurt me because I think we are better than that.

“We should be at Wembley and I feel we should be getting promoted. That is our journey and it hasn’t happened.

“But I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason and maybe all this has happened for a purpose and a reason, maybe we are not quite ready yet? We are making giant strides but we are not quite there and need to improve on so many aspects."

Fair play for sticking to his principles.

Hes trying to install an ethos and way of playing throughout the club. Cant think of another top manager that doesnt do this.

Some are saying he should change and go long ball as if thats easy. Some are saying we should have gone full barca mode and some are saying he shouldn't have sold dapo and we should be playing 442.

You just cant please everyone. 

49 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

Parkinson in that L1 season mixed it very well imo, direct at times but also had players who could play, we wasn’t reliant on one outlet like we’ve done recently

34 minutes ago, perth_white said:

Agree with all of that and I'm firmly Team Evatt but I do think the coming season needs to be targeting/achieving automatic promotion.

If a manager is performing to or over performing with respect to budget I'm not sure how much more you can expect. If Wednesday are promoted then 2 of the big budget clubs are gone and the ones coming down won't be competitive in that regard. So I'd be expecting us and Derby to be up at the top end of the division. 

So I'd expect a real go at automatic this season but if that doesn't appear then I'll still be Team Evatt unless things massively deteriorates and he starts acting like a loon.

Yes agreed. I think Evatt will know this and it could be an interesting Summer. Apart from the goalkeeper position he has a great record in bringing in the   players we need. A couple did not work in January but it is a notoriously difficult window as key targets are often not available.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, W.cramp said:

Big season coming up for me evatt.  Am sure we once were told there was a planned timescale and the coming season was for promotion to the championship.  

not sure about the timescales but at the business club networking events, Neil Hart has openly said that the clubs ambition is to be a sustainale championship club, and more recently that if we dont' get promoted this season then it won't be long until we do becusae everything they do behind the scenes if geared towards this (so I guess that's next season, or the season after at the latest)

8 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Parkinson in that L1 season mixed it very well imo, direct at times but also had players who could play, we wasn’t reliant on one outlet like we’ve done recently

That’s a bit selective. Most fans hated Parkys playing style and lack of ambition.