Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Wales

6 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

He can speak for himself but I’m sure he isn’t surprised that the Tories have done a shocking job on law and order.

Like I said at first it depends which stats you want to believe. As @London Wanderer pointed out crime has been continually falling in most areas for decades 

Edited by royal white

4 minutes ago, royal white said:

Like I said at first it depends which stats you want to believe. As @London Wanderer pointed out crime has been continually falling in most areas for decades 

I’m more interested in the fact that our police have been under resourced, under trained and generally depleted the last 13 years and now solve minimal burglaries or thefts. The party of law and order🙈

4 minutes ago, royal white said:

Overall since the 50s, in the long run.

Not so much since austerity though. 
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2022/11/austerity-led-to-more-crime-study.page

Yes there will always be not rights walking the streets and you can’t fix everything. But it’s virtually impossible to argue that we’ve not lost a lot of resources that were having an impact. It will be fun watching you try though. 

9 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Overall since the 50s, in the long run.

Not so much since austerity though. 
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/news/2022/11/austerity-led-to-more-crime-study.page

Yes there will always be not rights walking the streets and you can’t fix everything. But it’s virtually impossible to argue that we’ve not lost a lot of resources that were having an impact. It will be fun watching you try though. 

Try what 😂 all I’ve pointed out is how people cherry pick stats to back their argument. You’re proving my point perfectly. 👍

• Site Supporter
32 minutes ago, royal white said:

I thought crime was out of control because of Albanian baddies?

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

It is or isn’t depending on who you want to blame on a certain day and which side of the bed you got out of.

We got burgled in the late 80’s.

I remember the police came round and dusted for fingerprints and spent a few hours over several visits at least trying to gather evidence. In the end, they arrested a lad who denied everything but eventually got done for several burglaries.

5 years ago, we got burgled.

2 coppers came round several hours after I rang them. They told me to just add lots of extra items on the insurance claim form and they’d sign it no problem. As for catching anyone, they just raised their eyebrows and said the chances were pretty much zero as there were no aggravated circumstances.

Things are definitely different in 2023

Edited by Spider

1 minute ago, Spider said:

I remember the police came round and dusted for fingerprints and spent a few hours over several visits at least trying to gather evidence. In the end, they arrested a lad who denied everything but eventually got done for several burglaries.

2 coppers came round several hours after I rang them. They told me to just add lots of extra items on the insurance claim form and they’d sign it no problem. As for catching anyone, they just raised their eyebrows and said the chances were pretty much zero as there were no aggravated circumstances.

My wife has worked for the police for over 40 years. You are entitled to have an opinion based on your two experiences. As others have said many times, it’s more complex than that. The police are now having to deal with things that didn’t exist or matter 30 years ago. You can’t compare. 

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

In our last house, just two years ago, somebody broke into the garage and robbed some golf clubs, a Karcher and some tools. We called the police, they didn't even come round, they did give us a crime reference so that we could make a claim, but that was about as much interest as they took.

Anyway, on the plus side, I got some expensive new clubs and some rather splendid new tools 🙂

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, BobyBrno said:

My wife has worked for the police for over 40 years. You are entitled to have an opinion based on your two experiences. As others have said many times, it’s more complex than that. The police are now having to deal with things that didn’t exist or matter 30 years ago. You can’t compare. 

What has changed that makes burglary something to simply brush off like dust on your shoulder?

I can tell you that it mattered to me. And that had I caught them and wrapped a cricket bat round their heads that I’d be the one having my fingerprints taken.

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

What has changed that makes burglary something to simply brush off like dust on your shoulder?

I can tell you that it mattered to me. And that had I caught them and wrapped a cricket bat round their heads that I’d be the one having my fingerprints taken.

I think you’ve missed my point. If crime  comes down it’s because people aren’t reporting it. If crime goes up it’s because we have less police. 
This started because of a comment about lack of respect for authority and it’s gone round in contradictory circles. 
Forget the complexities. It’s the governments fault.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I think you’ve missed my point. If crime  comes down it’s because people aren’t reporting it. If crime goes up it’s because we have less police. 
This started because of a comment about lack of respect for authority and it’s gone round in contradictory circles. 

Probably correct. They’re shit at pretty much everything else.

3 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

The police used to convict people for theft and burglaries. Home Office stats for 2021/22 show they only brought someone to justice in 6% total burglaries or 4% total thefts. We can argue about the reasons but that is appalling in anyone’s reckoning. 

6 minutes ago, Farrelli said:

The police used to convict people for theft and burglaries. Home Office stats for 2021/22 show they only brought someone to justice in 6% total burglaries or 4% total thefts. We can argue about the reasons but that is appalling in anyone’s reckoning. 

You know the rules. Link please. 👍

1 hour ago, royal white said:

Try what 😂 all I’ve pointed out is how people cherry pick stats to back their argument. You’re proving my point perfectly. 👍

Haha

it’s really not rocket science.

Overall crime has gone down since the 50s. Which brings into question whether disciplining kids in school really worked.

Since widespread austerity was introduced, crime has increased. 

Hardly cherry picking , just pointing out the facts. is there anything in there you disagree with? 

Edited by London Wanderer

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Haha

Overall crime has gone down since the 50s. Which brings into question whether disciplining kids in school really worked.

Hardly cherry picking , just pointing out the facts. is there anything in there you disagree with? 

Wasting your time asking him a question. You'll just get another one in return.

9 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Wasting your time asking him a question. You'll just get another one in return.

got my dad a book years ago. Robin Cooper Timewaster letters. He’d write letters to and email companies with all sorts of shite and aim to waste as much time as possible. It was hilarious.

RW is our very own Robin Cooper, just with a shitter sense of humour and an irrational hatred of Albanians. 

37 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Haha

You only brought austerity into the topic later on you cheeky little bleeder so yes cherry picking. And like I’ve been saying it depends on what stats you use to suit. I mean these stats are from pretty much the same time as your article. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/24/crime-rate-england-wales-falls-lowest-level-33-years

2 hours ago, royal white said:

You only brought austerity into the topic later on you cheeky little bleeder so yes cherry picking. And like I’ve been saying it depends on what stats you use to suit. I mean these stats are from pretty much the same time as your article. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/24/crime-rate-england-wales-falls-lowest-level-33-years

You’re getting a wee bit confused between long term trends and short term trends.

Long term (many decades) - crime down.

Short term (the period of austerity) - crime up or trends impacted. 

Do you disagree with that ?