Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nostalgia

auckland_bwfc

Ya know what still bugs me? Looking back the last 20 years and being labelled long ball hoofers. I saw Youri play a massive diaganol away at Charlton once, JJ, trapped it, 80 yards away and clapped Youri's pass live in play. If it was Neville to Giggs in the same positions the wank frenzy on MOTD would have been too much.  Its a made up mainstream media dream we where long ballers, I used to love how we gave it out, strong, direct, skilled, and organised to fuckery . The times we used to be leading by a single goal, at home, knowing we'd see it out.

Sam always had his detractors, but he was ahead of his time, in some ways, looking at us now I dont think we do things as well as we did 20 years ago....the media are always gonna hate on someone like BSA, loudmouth working class hero, we can't support them, much more comfortable backing the guy wearing a tanktop giving out buzzwords and cliches. But, for a period, he was one of the top managers in England. And he was ours. It is a shame that BSA has become a bit of a laughing stock, on the likes of twitter etc, appeciate its a forum for cnuts, but thats how it is, 12 year old aresnal fans calling him a dinosaur without actually knowing anything pre 2010. 

We deserved more respect, Kevin Davies wasn't a cart horse, Kevin Nolan should have played for England, and all we really wanted was a team of Nicky Hunts.

No real point here. Just awake, online, and a few beers in. Looking forward to 2023/24 season!

We did go more direct when SKD first joined and as Jay Jay's influence waned and his long throw ins became his greatest contribution.  Even then though, the team were capable of playing some great stuff and frequently did do.  It was all the little things that Sam did that could steal an advantage here and there - set piece drills, tactical fouls, breaking up the opposition rhythm, that was ahead of it's time.  Everyone does it now.

I actually think Sam wanted it that way but of course the likes of Manure, Liverpool and Arsenal never liked getting turned over by little old Bolton so Sam used it to his advantage. In reference to Brentford, they’ve done brilliantly of course, though not as well as we did and they aren’t “Northern.” We were unique at that time and who knows what we might have done had the board only backed Sam when they could have? We could have done a Leicester before they did? They were great times though whatever others thought about our style of play. We know the truth though and the thoughts of the likes of Youri, Jay Jay, Stellios, Hierro and Speed being long ballers just proves the detractors are idiots.

Just now, athywhite1958 said:

I remember at Leicester, a night match when the offside rule was slightly altered and we exploited it and scored, we took a quick free kick and KD was on their goal line and scored, controversy all round, the change was scrapped soon after

Wasn't that the game where we had a free kick just outside their 18 yard box and Kevin nolan stood either just off the pitch or just front if their keeper and them legged it back just as the kick was taken.   Somet like that, nolan was definately the player who ran back.

It was a bizarre free kick, and iirc it was outlawed pretty quickly.

Things is, whether it should've been offside or not is no excuse for Ian Walker catching the ball, rolling over and throwing it into the back of the net.  A truly bizarre goal.

The long ball rhetoric in the media only really started when Souness moaned to the media after we beat Newcastle at the Reebok. Think it was the game where Pederson fluked one from the touchline. Prior to that it was plucky little Bolton blooding the noses of the establishment. 

55 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Me and Mrs went. Bet we didnt have 500 there.

We'd take more to Exeter now.

I was in the Leicester hospitality, so we were sat quite a way from the Bolton end, with the noisy home end to our right (and it was very noisy, even though they were certainties for relegation).  I wasn't even aware Bolton fans were there TBH, not a peep.  That era is painted as glorious (rightly so) but there was a strange lack of connection between fans and team at away games unless it was Man U or something like that.

Most memorable thing of the night apart from Nolan's wierd goal was getting in a lift with Paul Dickov, I thought it was a mascot at first.

15 hours ago, newton_white said:

The long ball rhetoric in the media only really started when Souness moaned to the media after we beat Newcastle at the Reebok. Think it was the game where Pederson fluked one from the touchline. Prior to that it was plucky little Bolton blooding the noses of the establishment. 

It was the following season, Diouf and Davies scored on a Sunday at the end of October, Souness had a right moan about it after the game.

• Moderators
On 31/05/2023 at 15:50, DazBob said:

It was a bizarre free kick, and iirc it was outlawed pretty quickly.

Things is, whether it should've been offside or not is no excuse for Ian Walker catching the ball, rolling over and throwing it into the back of the net.  A truly bizarre goal.

Remember watching it in pub with mates have watching half chatting and all looking away to carry on chatting as assumed he'd just picked the ball up then wondering why Leicester were taking a kick off

23 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Not sure the rule was changed again - wasn't it just the first week that players not interfering with play would not be given offside?

Pretty sure we tried it a week or two later and the linesman put his flag up straight away, so we didn't bother again.

You're right though, as long as the player isn't in the eye line of the 'keeper then I'd imagine it'd be allowed now.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, DazBob said:

Pretty sure we tried it a week or two later and the linesman put his flag up straight away, so we didn't bother again.

You're right though, as long as the player isn't in the eye line of the 'keeper then I'd imagine it'd be allowed now.

The ref would have overruled the linesman in the Leicester game..... One of our unsung heroes was Uriah.