Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Would you want to be like City/Newcastle/Bournemouth

gonzo

Further to what @Underpantswas saying on another thread...

Would you want us to be taken over by Saudi mob in a similar fashion to Newcastle or City?

Or would you prefer life just as it is with us fluttering up and down the leagues like we have forever?

Its a tough one. I get what undies is saying. When we were punching on euro jollies I never felt we belonged there. 

Im in no rush to get to The Premier League. 

My kids however... well that's a different story.

Edited by gonzo

Wouldn't be opposed to a billionaire bankrolling us and keeping us in a secure spot in the Premier League, of course not. However, as with Everton, having a lot of money isn't the be-all and end-all. I know Everton's owner isn't quite Arab State level but Everton still have the highest wages/turnover ratio in the Premier League, something ridiculous like 90+% of their turnover goes on wages. And FFP is biting them in the arse.

Not sure that even if we had the levels of investment that City/Newcastle have that we'd find it easy to reach the highest levels of football. Financial Fair Play would massively limit us. So in a realistic sense, I'm not sure it would really happen, and even if it did I doubt it would be sustainable.

In any event, I much prefer the stories of Luton/Brighton, who have done things shrewdly and sensibly an I hope we are on a similar pathway. We have a ceiling as a club and I don't mind that at all, I think as mentioned on the other thread, celebrating a last minute equaliser/winner in League 1 or League 2 can feel just as good as winning a Premier League or a Champions League final because it's all relative. 

I can't help but think that it would feel slightly hollow winning everything in the way City are doing this season. It's incredible football and beautiful to watch no doubt, but no one stands a chance when they have the best manager in the world and the best players in the world that have all come from obscene amounts of money and financial trickery. 

Not sure how I feel about the sanctions that may or may not be placed on them, they've clearly used some smart accountancy to accelerate their growth and allow player transfers in the way that they have, but I doubt that Real Madrid, United, Barca, PSG etc are squeaky clean either.

so - in short - no.

I like our story and how it's playing out and hope that we can achieve whatever our ceiling allows us to achieve on this current upwards trend. I just hope that whenever the downtrend starts again, it's not as heinous as it was under Ken Anderson (or worse).

Let's be honest here. Gone are the days when a team like Notts Forest could go from 2nd tier wannabes to champions of England & Europe in the blink of an eye.

If City win the CL Final what else can they achieve that will excite their "fans"?

Football at the top level is eating itself

Be careful what you wish for.

Bit of a skewed question. City and Newcastle would be mid table Premiership without outside investment.

I really have no problem with City, Newcastle and Chelsea before them. Their owners have invested to break the cartel set up

All the shite from the ‘istree clubs about earning positions is complete garbage.

Arsenal raped Huddersfield to get to the top, Liverpool paid record fees in second division to get platform for the Moore’s money to outbid everyone else. Rogers mob traded of grief of Munich and brilliance / celebrity of Best to become biggest club followed by plastics everywhere. 

Bournemouth is probably the most obvious over inflation of position by out of scale investors, which would be Ali. To it happening to you or us.

8 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Let's be honest here. Gone are the days when a team like Notts Forest could go from 2nd tier wannabes to champions of England & Europe in the blink of an eye.

If City win the CL Final what else can they achieve that will excite their "fans"?

Wasn’t  City that stopped that. It started with the change from splitting gate receipts, then Sky deal and Champions league reinforced the cartel. FFP brought in to protect the G14 from nasty outside investment 

• The title was changed to Would you want to be like City/Newcastle/Bournemouth
5 minutes ago, green genie said:

Bit of a skewed question. City and Newcastle would be mid table Premiership without outside investment.

I really have no problem with City, Newcastle and Chelsea before them. Their owners have invested to break the cartel set up

All the shite from the ‘istree clubs about earning positions is complete garbage.

Arsenal raped Huddersfield to get to the top, Liverpool paid record fees in second division to get platform for the Moore’s money to outbid everyone else. Rogers mob traded of grief of Munich and brilliance / celebrity of Best to become biggest club followed by plastics everywhere. 

Bournemouth is probably the most obvious over inflation of position by out of scale investors, which would be Ali. To it happening to you or us.

Edited. One is correct.

I suppose ED had us down this path already. 

21 minutes ago, green genie said:

Spot on. It’s happened for years. Would love us to win something major but I’ve realised now it’s unlikely.

Id hate to be at a point where Wembley feels like a second home and  attendance nonces are questioning numbers. I’d also feel a bit weird about who supported Bolton and why if we were good.

I know a chelsea fan who went regular before ambramovich and he said it feels a bit weird. On flip side I’ve a lifelong city mate who loves it. 

22 minutes ago, tomski said:

Spot on. It’s happened for years. Would love us to win something major but I’ve realised now it’s unlikely.

Id hate to be at a point where Wembley feels like a second home and  attendance nonces are questioning numbers. I’d also feel a bit weird about who supported Bolton and why if we were good.

I know a chelsea fan who went regular before ambramovich and he said it feels a bit weird. On flip side I’ve a lifelong city mate who loves it. 

The most vocal of my City supporting mates is of the unbearable "I did my time in L1, I went to Macclesfield, I deserve this" variety.

Aye, that never ending purgatory of a single season in the third tier.

Although he also says he can't stand the champions league and boycots it, calls it the cash league... not sure how he squares that away with the abomination of a division they play their league games in like.

Just now, Marc505 said:

The most vocal of my City supporting mates is of the unbearable "I did my time in L1, I went to Macclesfield, I deserve this" variety.

Aye, that never ending purgatory of a single season in the third tier.

Although he also says he can't stand the champions league and boycots it, calls it the cash league... not sure how he squares that away with the abomination of a division they play their league games in like.

1 fucking season. I call my mate rollercoaster or typical city. Soon shuts up

• Site Supporter
55 minutes ago, green genie said:

I think you make great points. The money thing is nothing new- just bigger now.

If big investors from wherever want to have a dabble- they'll buy a club.

Main point is to run the club in a responsible fashion, and not put it in a precarious position if it goes tits up.

Perfectly happy for fv to do their thing and I'd be made up if they could get us into the top division and having a crack at cups.

However, even then, some will find being "average" boring and enthusiasm could wain a bit. Owners will be aware of the pros and cons and have intimated they will step aside when the time is right.

I think ffp has good aims at stopping the abuse of clubs via irresponsible spending, but it isn't as effective as it should be.

Funnily enough had this conversation with the wife this afternoon. We both agreed that it would be fun at first but would quickly end up dull as fuck. City have become everything they’ve always hated, and now spend their time desperately trying to deny it. 

For some balance, I've got some cracking mates I've met mainly through work that are City fans.  Friends for life I keep in touch with and chat about all things football with, salt of the earth types.

Yes they were there in the York/Gillingham days and I know that's become a cliche as Marc505 references, but when I talk to them about the thrill of seeing us win at Lincoln or drawing at Sheff Wed, etc, they totally get it.  I couldn't have that conversation with a Utd or Liverpool fan. 

We all have different experiences of fans of other clubs, mine are mostly positive, they're just football fans like us.

Anyway on topic, I would feel uneasy, I take pride in the way the club is run, its almost perfect and nobody has to justify supporting us, we are the real deal as a club.  Newcastle and City have an asterisk next to them, nothing they ever achieve will feel pure for me, and I'll stick with what we've got, winning stuff is absolutely not the be all and end all for me.  I also don't want our games to be switched for live TV every other week, Saturday 3pm's most weeks is how it should be.

1 hour ago, Underpants said:

15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

For some balance, I've got some cracking mates I've met mainly through work that are City fans.  Friends for life I keep in touch with and chat about all things football with, salt of the earth types.

Yes they were there in the York/Gillingham days and I know that's become a cliche as Marc505 references, but when I talk to them about the thrill of seeing us win at Lincoln or drawing at Sheff Wed, etc, they totally get it.  I couldn't have that conversation with a Utd or Liverpool fan. 

We all have different experiences of fans of other clubs, mine are mostly positive, they're just football fans like us.

Anyway on topic, I would feel uneasy, I take pride in the way the club is run, its almost perfect and nobody has to justify supporting us, we are the real deal as a club.  Newcastle and City have an asterisk next to them, nothing they ever achieve will feel pure for me, and I'll stick with what we've got, winning stuff is absolutely not the be all and end all for me.  I also don't want our games to be switched for live TV every other week, Saturday 3pm's most weeks is how it should be.

Leicester??

Hopefully we can grow fast enough to have more European trip’s before I get totally too owd. Sooner get there like Brighton have rather than millions thrown in and us not being sustainable again. Saying that I wouldn’t be looking forward to VAR if we did get in the prem again soon

3 minutes ago, Underpants said:

No!

To be fair pants Leicester had their fantastic moment in the sun which we might have done before them had the board backed Sam but it all evens out in the end and they’re back down again, probably never to repeat. The BSA years were magnificent but I go to watch Wanderers wherever they are and personally being in the PL isn’t something I’m greatly hoping for and I certainly wouldn’t want to be a Bournemouth or Brentford knowing I was only there through money, even though I know their fans will enjoy the now but all the time know it won’t last.