Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Would you want to be like City/Newcastle/Bournemouth

gonzo

• Site Supporter

It's a slightly tricky one for me. I'm not particularly bothered what league we're in as long as we've got sensible owners who run us in a sustainable manner. But I'd absolutely love my lad to experience us knocking about with the big boys, so if another Eddie Davies came along I wouldn't be against it. Reckon a realistic aim is bouncing between Prem and Championship every few years. That'd properly do for me.

23 minutes ago, Cheese said:

It's a slightly tricky one for me. I'm not particularly bothered what league we're in as long as we've got sensible owners who run us in a sustainable manner. But I'd absolutely love my lad to experience us knocking about with the big boys, so if another Eddie Davies came along I wouldn't be against it. Reckon a realistic aim is bouncing between Prem and Championship every few years. That'd properly do for me.

We need to be in the top flight at some point of ever decade to preserve  our power status as one of the big 3. Roll on 2029

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

To be fair pants Leicester had their fantastic moment in the sun which we might have done before them had the board backed Sam but it all evens out in the end and they’re back down again, probably never to repeat. The BSA years were magnificent but I go to watch Wanderers wherever they are and personally being in the PL isn’t something I’m greatly hoping for and I certainly wouldn’t want to be a Bournemouth or Brentford knowing I was only there through money, even though I know their fans will enjoy the now but all the time know it won’t last.

Its a strange one. We all want promotion from whatever league we are in. Thats the whole point of competing. But unlike all the other leagues the only way out of the PL is relegation. Just staying up is like a promotion. But this promotion has been shite with loads of heavy defeats along the way. The Premier league isn't all milk & honey for supporters. 

Like others, I recognise that I want to win games & be competitive which means challenging & ultimately for a Premiership place. However the Premiership is a false dawn as, for all the wealth, it inevitably gets overspent & a club our size needs a sugar daddy or to take on huge debts again.

The near liquidation changed my ambition going forward. I want the self-respect of being a top-half Championship club as a minimum, play well and have some good players flow through.

We can't shake off the fact that our geography surrounds us with big city clubs & our fan base is limited at a high & respectable one but it can't be huge.

Nonetheless I admire what Brentford have done & that would be my ambition I suppose.

• Site Supporter

Don’t get me wrong, the journey is the best bit and our journey is the best, but you have to have aspirations to be the best you can be.

We are never going to be a City or Newcastle.

But doing what Brighton, Bournemouth, Brentford, Leicester and Southampton are doing/have done, surely has to be our aim? 

We’ve pretty much done what the Brentford’s etc have done. 

climbed the leagues, appeared in a domestic cup final and a semi and got in to Europe. That’s what clubs of our standing strive to do. Leicester was a fairytale story and something everyone could only dream of

but challenging for the prem and every other competition, knocking out the Madrid’s and Bayerns of this world and seeing world class players every week? Absolute no brainer. Give it me every day of the fucking week. Seen enough shit in my time. It’s reward time.. 

24 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

but challenging for the prem and every other competition, knocking out the Madrid’s and Bayerns of this world and seeing world class players every week? Absolute no brainer. Give it me every day of the fucking week. Seen enough shit in my time. It’s reward time.. 

Sounds like you're in for a life of disappointment ... or need to change clubs then.

29 minutes ago, desperado said:

Don’t get me wrong, the journey is the best bit and our journey is the best, but you have to have aspirations to be the best you can be.

We are never going to be a City or Newcastle.

But doing what Brighton, Bournemouth, Brentford, Leicester and Southampton are doing/have done, surely has to be our aim? 

Spot on desperado, we’ve done it before and hopefully we’ll do it again. As you say, it’s the journey there that’s the best bit and hopefully our younger fans are now on that journey we’ve enjoyed so much and I include our yo yo years in that because fighting relegation was as exciting as for promotion. I wouldn’t swop being a Wanderers fan for any other club.

14 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

To be fair pants Leicester had their fantastic moment in the sun which we might have done before them had the board backed Sam but it all evens out in the end and they’re back down again, probably never to repeat. The BSA years were magnificent but I go to watch Wanderers wherever they are and personally being in the PL isn’t something I’m greatly hoping for and I certainly wouldn’t want to be a Bournemouth or Brentford knowing I was only there through money, even though I know their fans will enjoy the now but all the time know it won’t last.

The fact Leicester are back where they were 7-8 years ago is irrelevant really - football is about moments. If you're not being bankrolled by an oil-state you're going to lose more than you win, so it's the moments when you win which are important. For them they had the biggest highs imaginable. 

I think generally to be engaged as a football fan you need something to hope for. Last time we were heading out of the PL it had gone a bit stale, but I'd love to see us get back there with Evatt, Sharon and some of these players (Luton have a winger who's been with them since non-league).

To answer the question, the reality is there's yet to be a fanbase reject limitless investment... so I'm sure we'd have people rocking up at the stadium wearing headscarfs and spending all day on Twitter justifying our owners human rights abuses. It surely gets a bit dull once you get to the stage City are though.

A difference with Citeh & their £billions and Chelsea under Abramovic/Mourinho is that they do play with some joy, with an admirable style.

Chelsea were even poor winners, let alone losers.

If you're going to misuse dubious funding at least enjoy it.

And I think the wider work they have done at city makes them stand alone when you compare to Abramovich etc 

the infrastructure has improved significantly, the surrounding areas of the ground and community have been improved no end. I think the whole side of that city are now seeing the rewards of their ownership. It’s more than just on the green stuff. 

Brighton absolutely cooking with their transfers

Sold Bissmouma to Spurs last year for double what they bought him for

Selling MacAllister to Liverpool for a reported 60-70m, signed him for under 10m

Selling Caicedo, who again they picked up for peanuts, to Arsenal or Chelsea for 70-80m

they’ve also got that teenager enciso scoring for them this year who they’ll probably sell for loads next year

Put that alongside PL tv money, European football money. They’re loaded.

challenge for them though is to constantly reinvest smartly and stay a PL club.

One bad season is all it takes as Leicester have shown but have to applaud their business acumen so far. Their scouts must be getting poached by the big boys sometime soon!

Edited by Mantra

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, Mantra said:

Selling MacAllister to Liverpool for a reported 60-70m, signed him for under 10m

Selling Caicedo, who again they picked up for peanuts, to Arsenal or Chelsea for 70-80m

they’ve also got that teenager enciso scoring for them this year who they’ll probably sell for loads next year

One bad season is all it takes as Leicester have shown but have to applaud their business acumen so far. Their scouts must be getting poached by the big boys sometime soon!

If he keeps progressing the way he is Evan Ferguson will be their biggest profit of the lot when he goes. 

• Site Supporter

No. If a Saudi or similar took over and we suddenly had millions to spend it wouldn't be the Bolton I signed up for. I like it as we are, living within our means by and large, only appearing on the back page, and making progress. And it's a progress we can all contribute to, whether it's a ST, Lifeline, not asking for a refund after covid locked us out or a couple of overpriced shit pints in Fanzone.

With all these big take overs there are strings attached. There's got to be, and the strings can be cut at any time. And even at Wrexham it could be too good to be true. Time will tell.

We're in good hands as we are with Sharon.

11 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

No. If a Saudi or similar took over and we suddenly had millions to spend it wouldn't be the Bolton I signed up for. I like it as we are, living within our means by and large, only appearing on the back page, and making progress. And it's a progress we can all contribute to, whether it's a ST, Lifeline, not asking for a refund after covid locked us out or a couple of overpriced shit pints in Fanzone.

With all these big take overs there are strings attached. There's got to be, and the strings can be cut at any time. And even at Wrexham it could be too good to be true. Time will tell.

We're in good hands as we are with Sharon.

I must admit I felt more detached from the club in the latter of our Prem years, knowing that the main income was Sky TV (probably) and what difference did it make whether I contributed my £300+ a year or not?  They would carry on regardless paying the same wages and transfer fees; in the last few years its definitely felt like our support is properly valued and needed and like you I'd prefer it to stay that way.

I'd hate to be put into the position Newcastle fans are currently in (and see the tidal wave of abuse Daniel Storey has got for even daring to criticise it and them) of selling their morals and souls to vehemently stick up for their ownership in return for them winning some football matches.

• Moderators
On 05/06/2023 at 10:48, Mantra said:

They did well out of Curcuella, Trossard, White and Burn as well