Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Manly car insurance chat


kent_white

Recommended Posts

On 21/07/2023 at 18:13, only1swanny said:

Different under writers giving different quotes, they will just send you a renewal with your current scheme, if you ring they'll shop around. 

Not really true unless you are using a Broker or someone who has a panel of Insurers. Most Insurers use differential pricing which is basically building a commission increase in every year. If someone bought a policy through Compare the Market a place I used to work at charged -9% commission on new business so you paid £91 for every £100 of cover, people who had been with us for years were charged about 40% , so same cover was £140 per £100 of cover.

The mark up on finance and add ons like legal cover and emergency breakdown was rather lucrative too !! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yep. Certainly the case for my van. Struggled to get insurance the first year, but more doing it now.

At work, those with the EVs as company cars, insure privately, and then claim back, as it's astronomical to put them through the usual company policy, apparently. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sweep said:

At work, those with the EVs as company cars, insure privately, and then claim back, as it's astronomical to put them through the usual company policy, apparently. 

Didn’t know that. Mine goes through normal policy. Never heard anything different. Mine is up for renewal in 10 months and I think i May as well stick with EV. I don’t do a lot of miles anymore though which clearly sways my decision.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, tomski said:

Didn’t know that. Mine goes through normal policy. Never heard anything different. Mine is up for renewal in 10 months and I think i May as well stick with EV. I don’t do a lot of miles anymore though which clearly sways my decision.

Not doing a lot of miles makes it a no brainer. I'll probably do over 1500 miles this coming week, as I'm all over the place, it'd be nigh on impossible in an EV, especially as its first week of the school holidays, so EV chargers at service stations will be rammed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Casino said:

Why are there so many ugly as fuck leccy cars?

Have you seen that little cube thing round Harwood? It is the shittest looking of shit looking cars.

I think it’s this one.

image.jpeg.702dda31749076f9ea72099608ca43b5.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Have you seen that little cube thing round Harwood? It is the shittest looking of shit looking cars.

I think it’s this one.

image.jpeg.702dda31749076f9ea72099608ca43b5.jpeg

Yeah, @tomski and I saw it parked up on a driveway near his house and we just laughed at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators

I havent, so ill look out for it

Its not just the cheap ones

I dont think ive seen a tesla yet and not thought badge victim

Admittedly, i was behind an suv tother day, maybe a porsche and that looked v nice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Casino said:

I havent, so ill look out for it

Its not just the cheap ones

I dont think ive seen a tesla yet and not thought badge victim

Admittedly, i was behind an suv tother day, maybe a porsche and that looked v nice

Be a maccan? Bloody nice cars and drive so nice! Porsche really are a class above. In my top 3 that's I've driven alongside the BMW 830 and new audi a5.. drove a brand new s class and that terrified me, pristine white leather interior urgg.. 

Loads of tesla around, they're just weird, there is going to be lots going to recycling at some point as they reach the end of their lives, the problems Start about 3 years old, and there is a severe lack of places that can deal with them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Have you seen that little cube thing round Harwood? It is the shittest looking of shit looking cars.

I think it’s this one.

image.jpeg.702dda31749076f9ea72099608ca43b5.jpeg

Robins and day in Salford had a fair few lined up, all that horrid colour,  going to assume that nobody wants one. 

Much prefer the axiom car 😛

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
8 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Be a maccan? Bloody nice cars and drive so nice! Porsche really are a class above. In my top 3 that's I've driven alongside the BMW 830 and new audi a5.. drove a brand new s class and that terrified me, pristine white leather interior urgg.. 

Loads of tesla around, they're just weird, there is going to be lots going to recycling at some point as they reach the end of their lives, the problems Start about 3 years old, and there is a severe lack of places that can deal with them. 

When you say driven, do you mean taken out for a drive or manoeuvred from where they break down to the back of your recovery truck?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, MickyD said:

When you say driven, do you mean taken out for a drive or manoeuvred from where they break down to the back of your recovery truck?

Bit of both 😛

Never gone more than a few hundred meters but still its a nice short drive haha although the tesla I drove was about a mile away from where I could park the truck. 

Not one for sporty cars as they're not reet comfy. I'd sooner have a focus than a tesla. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
9 hours ago, only1swanny said:

Be a maccan? Bloody nice cars and drive so nice! Porsche really are a class above. In my top 3 that's I've driven alongside the BMW 830 and new audi a5.. drove a brand new s class and that terrified me, pristine white leather interior urgg.. 

Loads of tesla around, they're just weird, there is going to be lots going to recycling at some point as they reach the end of their lives, the problems Start about 3 years old, and there is a severe lack of places that can deal with them. 

Battery recycling is/will be come a big industry. Iirc, the British volt site was planned to have such a plant alongside it, though it could be somewhere else I'm thinking of. Still might have depending upon what the Aussies do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Site Supporter

Got an answerphone message and a text from my Car Insurance on Friday. "We've received a notification from the police that your vehicle has been involved in an accident...". Thought it was some sort of scam at first, so called my Insurers directly. They said they've received a P.A.D (or something like that?) from the police with my registration on it, but it contained no further details. No explanation of what type of accident, no location, or date/time, or if someone else was involved. Absolutely fuck all. Checked my car over thoroughly in case someone had reversed into it or something while I wasn't there, but no sign of any damage whatsoever. I haven't a fucking clue what it could be about. They said they'd request further information and get back to me, and it could just be a typo. Anyone had anything similar?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Got an answerphone message and a text from my Car Insurance on Friday. "We've received a notification from the police that your vehicle has been involved in an accident...". Thought it was some sort of scam at first, so called my Insurers directly. They said they've received a P.A.D (or something like that?) from the police with my registration on it, but it contained no further details. No explanation of what type of accident, no location, or date/time, or if someone else was involved. Absolutely fuck all. Checked my car over thoroughly in case someone had reversed into it or something while I wasn't there, but no sign of any damage whatsoever. I haven't a fucking clue what it could be about. They said they'd request further information and get back to me, and it could just be a typo. Anyone had anything similar?

Not had similar (or any experience at work) but sounds like you might have had your reg plates cloned. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, stevieb said:

Not had similar (or any experience at work) but sounds like you might have had your reg plates cloned. 

That did cross my mind. Fucking hope not. The insurance fella also said it was the first time he'd ever seen one of these police notification things that had no additional information whatsoever. Strange.

Edited by Cheese
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Cheese said:

That did cross my mind. Fucking hope not. The insurance fella also said it was the first time he'd ever seen one of these police notification things that had no additional information whatsoever. Strange.

you've been cloned, what car is it? 

I'm guessing the PAD (as such) is them testing the water before putting a "claim" in. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'd contact the police on that basis.

I'd have to know which force has submitted the notification thing, wouldn't I? My Insurer doesn't have any details whatsoever yet. Could be from anywhere!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.