Jump to content
Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Saudi


royal white

Recommended Posts

If you buy your kids an Al Nassr kit, even whilst a moody version in Turkey, you are part of problem of the downfall of the modern game. 

It's a slippery slope. 

My lads Messi Miami away kit off his uncle in Marmaris is smart though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
11 hours ago, Marc505 said:

Further down the slippery slope.

I can't see how this happens if UEFA are serious about FFP 

They can't go after City and PSG and be threatening teams with bans for breaking FFP, then let the Saudis in 

I've not looked at the figures in great detail but I suspect the SA clubs are spending for more than they generate in revenue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Zico said:

I can't see how this happens if UEFA are serious about FFP 

They can't go after City and PSG and be threatening teams with bans for breaking FFP, then let the Saudis in 

I've not looked at the figures in great detail but I suspect the SA clubs are spending for more than they generate in revenue

The Saudi teams will argue for a period of time to get level on income potential with the uefa teams.

I'd tell em to get fucked

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I couldn't name a single Saudi team. I see players linked with Saudi football but then lose interest in it as they are only going for 1 reason

You could say the same about 99% of footballers going anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Saudi isn't in Europe. I hope they point that out at the same time they're telling them to fck off.

We are literally watching the early stages of them dismantling the European leagues & are now expected to facilitate them.

Personally, I can’t see it happening.

Yes, professional sport, especially football, is about money and who would turn down such riches?

But, if you have enough with £10m a year, why would you want £40m, if it is without the context of the leagues and continental competition of Europe?

My guess is that players and managers at their peak will not go en masse to Saudi and that Saudi might be overplaying their hand.

I can see FFP being binned.

Edited by globaldiver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Zico said:

I can't see how this happens if UEFA are serious about FFP 

They can't go after City and PSG and be threatening teams with bans for breaking FFP, then let the Saudis in 

I've not looked at the figures in great detail but I suspect the SA clubs are spending for more than they generate in revenue

They aren't serious about FFP though, the more money swilling around the better as far as they're concerned, as they'll always get their cut

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Saudi isn't in Europe. I hope they point that out at the same time they're telling them to fck off.

We are literally watching the early stages of them dismantling the European leagues & are now expected to facilitate them.

It's not, they'll just re-brand it the "Champions League" and not the "European Champions Leaguer" then they can invite who they want, even some of the South American giants who really do need the dosh. It could morph into a Global Champions League, which would, in the main, still be dominated by the European teams I'd have thought.

I'd not be overly shocked if the Saudis even tried to "tempt" a large European club to relocate to Saudi at some stage, or at the very least, to start hosting games from the major European leagues.

Franchise Soccer, here we come :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Sweep said:

It's not, they'll just re-brand it the "Champions League" and not the "European Champions Leaguer" then they can invite who they want, even some of the South American giants who really do need the dosh. It could morph into a Global Champions League, which would, in the main, still be dominated by the European teams I'd have thought.

My PES custom tournament days finally brought to life. 

"You coming to Fulham at weekend mate?"

"Can't pal, got Boca Juniors away on Tuesday, we need a result."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
48 minutes ago, Sweep said:

They aren't serious about FFP though, the more money swilling around the better as far as they're concerned, as they'll always get their cut

Just can't see it happening 

Saudi would in theory have to join UEFA then they'd never qualify for a world cup again 

I know money talks 

But I just can't see it 

As part of a breakaway independent league or tournament, maybe, but not the CL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderators
Just now, DazBob said:

Can the Saudis not apply to join?

Probably 

Israel use to be in Asia  

Australia used to be Oceania and are now in Asia 

They aren't going to just be let in the CL for a few games 

They'd have to join and compete in euros qualifiers  

I'm curious to see if they'd have the appetite for that

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.